Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Executions to begin this weekend.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Executions to begin this weekend.

Its been a long time coming and while I am not an advocate of the Death penalty but those convicted of drug smuggling knew the risks and that if caught, they could be executed.

I read down through the article to a description of the death by shooting from a priest who was a witness at one and how long it took for the person to die.
    A few years ago I had the routine explained to me of when a person was hanged and the duties of those involved.
    Once the order was given and the trapdoor was opened allowing the condemned person to drop, both the Prison Governor and the attending doctor 'retire' to have breakfast (if a 6am execution) and are away for a minimum of 20 minutes.
    On their return, the doctor would then conduct the necessary tests to determine that Death had occurred and the execution had been carried out.
    Most think the object of hanging is to break the neck and cause a fairly quick death when in fact its by strangulation as the Law says, 'You will Hang by the Neck until you are dead'.
    It seems difficulties occur in all forms of executions, even those by Lethal Injection but even with that, many of those who have been executed have deserved a much worse fate based on the crimes that has led to them being executed.

Will these executions in Indonesia or any where else stop or reduce drug smuggling by even the tiniest amount, I very much doubt it !!!

There is a very peverse way of looking at those nine awaiting execution is that because they were drug users when they were caught smuggling, being convicted and jailed may have given them 10 years more life that they might have had if they werent caught because in those passing 10 years, they could have died from drug related problems such as overdoses or bad quality.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 17-01-15 at 02:20 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Landytrack (17-01-15)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

who cares, they knew the penalty.

the last thing barlow and chambers had was chokos.
    Last edited by mango; 17-01-15 at 02:35 PM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mango For This Useful Post:

GavinSV (29-04-15),Godzilla (17-01-15),Landytrack (17-01-15)

Thanks

The execution should be broadcasted to the whole world. Maybe then people will think twice before ruining other people lives.

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fromaron For This Useful Post:

efab (17-01-15),GavinSV (29-04-15),Godzilla (17-01-15),jok11n (17-01-15),Landytrack (17-01-15),VroomVroom (18-01-15)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    The execution should be broadcasted to the whole world. Maybe then people will think twice before ruining other people lives.
    It wont unfortunately as has been shown since time began and someone got 'Topped' for doing what they shouldnt have back then.

I was watching an interview done in a prison in the USA and the prisoner said he had been sentenced to 584 YEARS imprisonment for numerous violent home invasions where real harm and hurt had been inflicted on the residents.
    He said that while no had died, he had caused major injury to those he had attacked.
    When asked if he did these invasions to get drugs he was quite adamant he wasnt a drug user and wasnt interested in drugs, he just wanted to 'make a better life for myself and this is how I chose to do it'.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Landytrack (17-01-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 862 Posts

The death penalty is a deterrent for some crimes but for others, like drugs it just pushes the price tag higher.
    And if you think of it:
    If your life sucks anyway and the worst you can expect is several years in jail, with 3 meals a day, a roof over your head and the chance to gain some education, people care even less.
    But if you have to consider your own death as a result of your criminal activities you might find alternatives, like working.
    I still stand on the point that the punishment for a crime should reflect the pain and suffering of a victim, in case of murder death is a very fair sentence.
    For rape, child abuse or attacking the elderly simply tie up the culprit in the centre of the cummunity he harmed and look away for a few hours, the people will find the right punishment one way or the other.

We are building more prisions and increase the capacity of existing ones to cater for the criminals our society produces, I think a death penalty for the worst crimes would solve that shortage.
    Don't really know why it is abandoned by so many countries as in-humane or just not right in our modern age.
    How can parents ever understand that the murder of the child runs free after a few years while they suffer for the rest of their life?
    Or in terms of drug smuggling, why does a convicted smuggler, facing the death penalty think he has any right to ask for help and support from his home country? They knew the risks and accepted them, so say good bye and meet your maker.
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

My main issue with the death penalty is that once the criminal is dead, there is no facility for remorse or restitution once that happens. I would be more inclined to lock them up for the term of their natural life. Not in a Hotel but in a small box with bars for windows, maybe, two meals a day, (bread and water, would be about right), the only hope for leaving that box is hard labour, like out digging holes in a chain gang. A victim gets to live with the effects of the crime for the rest of their lives, why should the perp get off lightly?

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Landytrack (17-01-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 836 Posts

I'm all for just penalties for any crime, but for me the death penalty is off the table. It's a nice way of saying legal murder.
    Puts us a step closer to those Isis phuckwits.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (18-01-15)

Thanks

not really but depends on your personal views etc.

Unfortunately it becomes a moral issue and is it a certainty?

but if it is definite why hang around and waste my taxes (pun not intended)

The other thing is there are a lot of steps between us and those insects, if I could spray the phuckers with baygon I would

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post

Will these executions in Indonesia or any where else stop or reduce drug smuggling by even the tiniest amount, I very much doubt it !!!

What a stupid comment gordon.
    For each one executed would mean removing one more problem in the drug world and one more not able to contribute or profit from drug crime. The more its publicised then hopefully the more people will take heed and decide not to do the crime. You have to start solving the problem some how I one executed for these crimes is better than none.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Do you think we can get them to change their minds and shoot Schapelle before the media circus, particularly ch7 causes the rest of Australia to go postal?

I'm pretty neutral when it comes to the death penalty. It's not the convicted person the concern is for. It's for the poor leftards who think it's cruel to execute serial killers, serial paedophiles, and a range of other violent fvcksticks and cop killers. The current way the USA executes prisoners is to lock them up until they die of old age, die of exhaustion from extensive appeals or die of boredom await for a day.

Hanging was considered harsh
    The electric chair nasty
    The gas chamber brutal

Now the leftards are onto the lethal injection. The drug companies said the the US government was not complying with the terms of licence and use of it's drugs like Sodium Pentathol.
    We load you up with a bucket load of happy drugs and you check your bags at the door.

If the drug companies are going to put their foot down, they could always change to something like Heroin or just visit the local vet for a bottle of the green dream. (pentobarbitone)

But I won't be surprise if uncle sam goes back to the gas chamber and uses hypoxia to kill the person either by pumping the air out or flooding the room with nitrogen.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Downunder35m View Post
    Don't really know why it is abandoned by so many countries as in-humane or just not right in our modern age.
    The death penalty never is an appropriate response to murder and crime: Where the state soars judging over life and death, not justice takes its course, but revenge and retribution.
    And, history has shown / shows that also always political opponents have been / are done away with the death penalty.

OFF-TOPIC:

We know that the Old Testament of the Bible contains in the "Five Books of Moses" (also called "Torah") rules on the application of the death penalty. It is not to believe: Even the worship of foreign gods was threatened by death penalty, just like adultery and blasphemy.
    Therefore both Christians and Muslims as also Jews (they all are following a religion based on Mohammic laws) since ever practise death penalty. How this is executed of course differs. The most famous execution in history is the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. And it was the cruelest: the body decayed on the cross.

Also in ancient Greece the death penalty was known - the famous philosopher Socrates was sentenced to death because he was accused of corrupting the youth and to disregard the Greek gods.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bss904 View Post
    What a stupid comment gordon.
    For each one executed would mean removing one more problem in the drug world and one more not able to contribute or profit from drug crime. The more its publicised then hopefully the more people will take heed and decide not to do the crime. You have to start solving the problem some how I one executed for these crimes is better than none.
    Is it a stupid comment??
    I would challenge you to show me even ONE statistic that the threat of imprisonment or the death penalty has reduced the use, growing, manufacturing any form of drug anywhere in the world, including Indonesia by even ONE gram when every day there are reports of not grams of drugs but TONNES being seized around the world.

BILLIONS of Dollars or their equivalent are being spent annually by almost every country in the world trying to stem the drug trafficking but it keeps on commng despite all their efforts.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    The death penalty never is an appropriate response to murder and crime: Where the state soars judging over life and death, not justice takes its course, but revenge and retribution.
    And, history has shown / shows that also always political opponents have been / are done away with the death penalty.
    Some might say it is wrong, I argue a life long sentence in prison at tax payers expenses is a waste of money.
    The bad guy has no chance of getting back into the community and most countries don't have any serious work programs for such prisoners.
    It is matter of prison space and costs for some countries and last time I checked the "free of jail card" in AU is not just caused by lame judges but also by overcrowded prisons.
    The death penalty should not be common practise but a way of dealing with criminals that have no chance of being rehabiltated for a "normal" life.
    Facing the rest of your life behind bars might be harsch and cruel for some but most get used to it after a few years - just costing a lot of money for a piece of shit.
    And I think most relatives of murder victims might argue it is only fair to loose your life for killing someone else.
    Sure we are a modern and open society and don't like violence, even in such cases but there needs to be a line...
    For me there is only one sentence for murder, child abuse, sex with a minor or causing serious harm to defendless people like the elderly or disabled people.
    If you don't have respect for the life and health of others, we should be treated in any different way?
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

• The Following User Says Thank You to Downunder35m For This Useful Post:

efab (18-01-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I watched a very interesting interview on the this story.
    It opened my eyes up a bit.
    It really told the BIGGER human rights story.... I cant remember whom it was now... actually, its was on ABC News 24.

I could understand the points being made by the guest, especially when he explained the details of the death penalty.
    The heart of the accused must be "exploded"...... Hence, firing squad.

But ultimately, like it or not, they are the rules in place, have been for years..... Its not likes its some surprise.
    I don't think the penalty fits the crime, especially when you consider all the corrupt Cops, Judges and Politicians in these countries, and deals that are done by organised crime gangs.
    These traffickers are just kids piss farting around, getting caught and made an example of.
    While the real crooks are living off their brides and kick backs.

I'd be interested to know what the process is once they are executed by firing squad.
    Are they then released for their families to collect the bodies?
    Whom have to pay for transportation back to their home lands for a funeral?
    Is there a process if the bodies are not recovered?

6 were Executed this morning, the 2 Australians were not amongst them.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 18-01-15 at 03:00 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Is Australia the only country in the world that has signed the United Nations Human Rights Charter????
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

Indonesia's government defended the action as necessary to combat the rising drug trade.

"What we do is merely aimed at protecting our nation from the danger of drugs," Indonesia's Attorney General Muhammad Prasetyo told reporters Thursday. He said figures from the National Anti-Narcotic Agency showed 40 to 50 people die each day from drugs in Indonesia.

Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 18-01-15 at 07:19 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Is that from trafficking or using?
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (18-01-15),mkhannah (18-01-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Is that from trafficking or using?
    Exactly, the drugs kill people, so kill those involved with importation to save the users and send a strong message to others planning the same.

I dont see the issue, they have the death penalty, smugglers know it, yet they think the law does not apply to them...wake up call time....

A counties law is the law of that land, dont follow it and those are the repercussions.

I think other Goverments shouldn't be complaining about it either, you do what you want to do in your country they do what they want to do in theres, each has their own laws that need to be followed.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (19-01-15),lsemmens (19-01-15),mtv (18-01-15),Tiny (28-01-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

So typical of how the Indo's work too. You get the death penalty, but instead of doing it in a timely fashion, you get to wait around rotting in jail and stressing out of your mind, then they kill you. Just so you got the idea and didn't get out of it easy by being killed too quickly.

Personally i see no issue at all with it.
    Those drugs would have indirectly or directly killed or destroyed others downstream.
    Traffickers should not escape that... Shame those that put them up to it and/or owned the drugs are probably still trading as per normal.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (18-01-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    Exactly, the drugs kill people, so kill those involved with importation to save the users and send a strong message to others planning the same.

I dont see the issue, they have the death penalty, smugglers know it, yet they think the law does not apply to them...wake up call time....

A counties law is the law of that land, dont follow it and those are the repercussions.

I think other Goverments shouldn't be complaining about it either, you do what you want to do in your country they do what they want to do in theres, each has their own laws that need to be followed.
    Totally agree.

They know the risks and the penalty if caught.

If they choose to gamble with their lives... so be it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (18-01-15)

• Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast