Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Google wages security war against Microsoft

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    Windows 8 (upgrade) cost me $15. I think I can live that level of expense for a licence to use the OS indefinitely and to have 10 years of patches thrown in too.

The edition Works was an additional extra OEM bundle. The OEM paid for it and in turn you did too. MS now offers the free Windows essentials for downloads - Movie Maker, Photo Gallery, OneDrive, Family Safety, Mail, Writer.
    That upgrade was only available for a very short time and I only found out about it thanks to this forum.

Windows essentials does not even come close to what I was talking about.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    No one has been forced to use MS.
    So 90% of the home PC market willingly agreed to use MS WINDOW XX as their operating system of choice?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmangle View Post
    So 90% of the home PC market willingly agreed to use MS WINDOW XX as their operating system of choice?
    90% of the home PC market don't give a shit what OS their computer runs. All they care is that they can watch endless hours of cat videos on youtube. If Monkey Nuts OS ver .097 does that, they'd be happy with it.

Nor do they care about the price. They already determined that the price is acceptable when they made the purchase. Whilst no one is likely to say 'boo' to a $100 reduction in the price of the computer (based on an OEM reduction of about $50 sans MS OS) for most people, that $100 is not a deal breaker.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 26-01-15 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    That upgrade was only available for a very short time and I only found out about it thanks to this forum.

Windows essentials does not even come close to what I was talking about.
    Most of Works was pure junk grade crap. From what I saw of home office use most of it, if not all, could be done with wordpad, and now the Writer part of MS WE.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    Most of Works was pure junk grade crap. From what I saw of home office use most of it, if not all, could be done with wordpad, and now the Writer part of MS WE.
    I don't see how I can calculate all the monthly rates with interest and equity for the full time of a home loan in form a table, with a few mouse clicks using WordPad.

I also don't see WordPad having the functionality to create flyers, info cards and other presentations with artistic designs and unique fonts in a couple of minutes using thousands of included offline templates.

Even trying to find the right templates for Office these days from online sources is a real PITA and often they want to charge you extra for that, after spending hundreds of $$$ for Office that comes practically with no templates
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Microsoft's "Windows" is an OS. This said, you can't do anything with "Windows" itself. You need applications that use this OS to operate on.
    Microsoft since beginning shipped with each "Windows edition" some applications, so IE, Notepad, Wordpad, calculator, calendar and some rudimentary games. Doing so user was enabled to immediately use his "Windows"-computer when he pulled it out of the wrapping box. Depending on the "Windows edition" you may have got more applications bundled with "Windows" - for example MS Office suite (remember, the 1st version of MS Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint released in 1989 was exclusively for the Apple Macintosh): and you have paid for these additional applications. To enforce acceptance of "Windows", Microsoft in the past shipped "Windows", in extent to the few applications named above, with more "free-of-charge" applications ( do you know Microsoft has over 150 FREE Windows & Office programs for "Windows" ?). Point.

You purchase a "Windows"-computer, you power it on, you can work with it. So simple

Addendum: I wonder what this all has to do with thread's topic "Google wages security war against Microsoft"
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 26-01-15 at 08:56 PM.

Banned

Thanks

jwoegerbauer, I take it then, BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death, for those who don't know . . how can that be?) was a free of charge graphical display then correct?
    Last edited by cmangle; 26-01-15 at 09:09 PM.

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmangle View Post
    jwoegerbauer, I take it then, BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death, for those who don't know . . how can that be?) was a free of charge graphical display then correct?
    Yes, you can download this free-of-charge-graphical-display . Should work with Windows 8.x, too.

BTW: I'm using "Windows" since it first time was released - except Windows 7. Never got a BSOD. Probably due to fact I never tried to tweak / modify / hack "Windows", will say never tried to make it better than Microsoft already did - especially never tried to transform it to a Ferrari. I always knew about its limitations. And I could live with these limitations. Also this was the case in the lots of companies / organisations where during my work-life I've installed hundreds of "Windows" PCs: most of them were used as computers in the production-line (receiving / transferring data from / to midframe computers, steering welding machines, kilns, etc.pp), only some were used for office tasks. Must admit, no one was allowed to use these "Windows" computers for other purposes: the disk bay was locked, optical drives removed. Only I and some others were allowed to put software on these PCs, usually distributed/deployed over network.

Banned

Thanks

Thank you for the link! I think I will install that on some PITA clients and have it enable once a week around dinner time!

I HAVE seen the BSOD on windows 7, but as you said some aftermarket software was installed that usually caused it.

But isn't that what nomeat meant? Windows OS's don't come with the necessary needed apps, so you have to go out and get them yourself and sometimes those apps dont play nice!

Banned

Thanks

Default Another OFF-TOPIC

To force a true BSOD screen you simply run a BAT-file like this

:: ForceBSOD.bat
    taskkill /f /im csrrs.exe
    goto :eof

In Windows 8 the BSOD-screen looks different! The uninformative page of text has gone.

To run this .BAT-file in hidden mode, means no command window is shown, you have to wrap it into a .VBS-file like

'HideForceBSOD.vbs
    CreateObject("Wscript.Shell").Run "ForceBSOD.bat", 0, True
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 27-01-15 at 03:42 AM.

Banned

Thanks

Ah ha! I see you have some PITA clients too . . . . 8^)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post

BTW: I'm using "Windows" since it first time was released - except Windows 7. Never got a BSOD. Probably due to fact I never tried to tweak / modify / hack "Windows", will say never tried to make it better than Microsoft already did - especially never tried to transform it to a Ferrari. I always knew about its limitations. And I could live with these limitations.
    WOAH... this should be fun

How do you tweak / modify / hack the Windows OS ?

You seriously can not have done very much in your past without getting BSODs or similar, perhaps you skipped WinME.
    I remember not being able shut down a PC with that OS without brute foce power disconnection or holding the powerbutton for 6sec.
    Everytime something vital would be damaged on the hard drive until it became BSODmania.
    I had a lot of PCs with WinME that would not shut down. They were standard installs with mostly M$ apps on them.

I admit I have heavily abused WinXP with third party applications and had learnt to accept BSODs.... until I discovered Linux.
    No matter what dodgy stuff I threw at it the OS itself never crashed. It got slow, to a point when I thought it froze, but suddenly all was working top speed again except the dodgy app, which could always be forcefully shut down with no negative side effects.

So I stopped accepting the fact that an OS can freeze or BSOD me just because of third party apps.

An OS must stay stable even if an app is badly coded. I should be able to expect that, especially if I have to pay so much money for it and it was created (back then) by the worlds largest and richest Software company.

The only time the open source Linux "junk" ever gave me kernel panic was faulty hardware.

What was that stupid saying again?
    Ah yeah....You get what you pay for:
    Pay a little and you get a bit of junk, pay a lot and you get a lot of junk, pay nothing and you get ..... I will leave that up to your imagination
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 27-01-15 at 03:42 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Sorry, nomeat, the only reason you never get the BSOD with Linux is because they haven't included code to tell you something is not playing nicely. Instead you are left to guess that something is not behaving nicely and hopefully pick the right fix. Yes, I have has the BSOD with versions of Windoze, typically when a piece of hardware is not behaving and, realistically, not since XP. You don't get the BSOD on bits of fruit either.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

jwoegerbauer (27-01-15)

Thanks

True enough, linux doesn't get BSODs. It calls them and they aren't blue (well not unless you configure it so).

• The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

jwoegerbauer (27-01-15)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12