Thread: Yard Solar light charging problem?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Yard Solar light charging problem?

I put up a Solar Yard light some 2 years ago and about 6 months ago I replaced the 6V gel cell because it was starting to blink and go off faster than it should do.
    The battery I replaced it with had a higher capacity than the original one and now this one is starting to act oddly by sometimes staying on for the full time (2 minutes), other times it 'winks and blinks' just a few times but at a lower luminance.
    This may happen in the same night, good one time, erratic the next.
    I do have a identical solar panel for another light that was damaged and taken out of use and I was wondering if combining the 2 panels (say in series) might give the current one a better charge during daylight?

The Solar panels are about 4 inch square but I have no idea other than the Voltage (6V) what the highest current wattage output might be.

The current panel is mounted high (unshaded) and facing the North and tilted back about 40 degrees for my location so I think its doing its best to charge the battery as it was designed to do but would adding another help to keep up the battery charge ?

This is an area I am not real competent on so your thoughts please.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Don't connect the panels in series, this will double the potential charging voltage, although the battery will regulate the voltage to a certain extent, it may at sometime overcharge the battery or fuse the PCB.
    I just wouldn't advise doing this.

Connect them in parallel as this will double the charge input current with the correct voltage for the battery & system. Your PCB should handle this as the amperage is so small on these little lights & panels.

Unfortunately these little solar lights don't seem to last long, the batteries get tortured by high temps during the day & frosts during the night.
    The PCB components the same & moisture gets them eventually as well.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Tiny, it was during the night as I was outside watering the grass that it came to me that I meant PARALLEL and NOT Series to increase current, DUHHHH.

Now you know why I was asking what to do !!!!!!!

So far I have had a good run out of two of the three sets I bought over 2 years ago now.
    The biggest problem I have had with them was the PIR sensor triggering the light during windy periods and eliminating the cause like shrubs and bushes and a loose cover over the trailer.
    Although the cover was tied down, the wing got under it and caused it to ripple and that was enough to trigger the sensor.
    It took 3 nights to sort that one out.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!