Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 General Discussion thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    You don't need a key when doing a clean install - Just click 'Skip'.
    That's providing you have already upgraded and activated previously.
    hate to dig the old fella out but

if you have upgraded & activated, then you go a clean install, & you say it doesnt need a key, how does it know your activated?
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    i just want it for legit installs if needed
    Hence don't make use of "Media Creation Tool for Windows 10", but instead directly download Windows 10 which released on 29th July from here:

English-US
    1. Windows 10 Home

2. Windows 10 Pro

The links given above are same file which will be downloaded by Media Creation Tool, but from here you can download it with any downloading software of your choice.
    VERY IMPORTANT: These downloaded files are in .ESD format, so you later on would have convert these .ESD files to .ISO:

Thanks

no way, the media tool is creating a x86 & x64 in one

that means when i use it, i get to play with the little drop down box that says 32 or 64

did anyone notice on the media too it offered 32, 64 or both?

but answer the other question 1st, how is white ox going to keep his activation if he clean installs?

Banned

Thanks

no way, the media tool is creating a x86 & x64 in one

that means when i use it, i get to play with the little drop down box that says 32 or 64

did anyone notice on the media too it offered 32, 64 or both?
    Yes, you can select to download a Windows 10 edition for either 32-bit architecture, or 64-bit architecture or both.

Download "both" consumes "double" disk space. That's all.

EDIT:

And, if you use a Windows.ISO that contains both x86 and x64 editions, then you get this screen

but answer the other question 1st, how is white ox going to keep his activation if he clean installs?
    You have to do the "Upgrade" first.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 15-08-15 at 02:48 AM.

Thanks

well thats funny
    when i opened it, it said 32 bit, 64 bit or both
    i selected both & it prompted to save as windows.iso so we will see soon what i ended up with.

question 2. i dont get what he means, its installed & activated, then you can clean install & skip the key? how is that registered? the keys married the 1st time

unless your not deleting all the partitions?
    Last edited by Philquad; 14-08-15 at 06:06 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

The 32/64 bit iso is 5.5 gig so you need a dual layer DVD .....
    The installation data is saved on a Microsoft server so you don't need to enter a key when doing a clean install if you have previously done an upgrade on that pc.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

Philquad (14-08-15)

Thanks

thanks hoe, just wasted 5.8 gig
    im only trying to rig it anyway lol
    i cant upgrade as im not legit
    not fussed really, enuf crap going on here
    ill wait for the patch

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Here's a curiosity. If you perform the in place upgrade on a machine that normally does not connect to the 'net and later perform a fresh install, does that mean you are going to have to connect it to m$ servers to "validate", even if you don't want that machine to talk to the 'net?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Here's a curiosity. If you perform the in place upgrade on a machine that normally does not connect to the 'net and later perform a fresh install, does that mean you are going to have to connect it to m$ servers to "validate", even if you don't want that machine to talk to the 'net?

I would expect so; you have answered your own question!

From what I've read here; Before you can do a free validated fresh install, you have to do the upgrade first, to upgrade - the PC needs to be connected to the internet.
    Also during the upgrade process W10 searches for relevant driver updates & installs them, so if you're not connected you may have a failed install.

I found out the last bit after I upgraded to W10, although everything appeared to go smoothy & everything appeared to be working;
    1; My printer hadn't installed properly, possibly due to the fact it was not powered on during the upgrade process.
    Fixed by reinstalling the printer driver.

2; Although I had sound out of my speakers, it didn't sound quite right, after further investigation, W10 had updated my MoBo inbuilt sound card (VIA HD Audio) driver to the latest driver listed at the MoBo site.
    Unfortunately that driver is not compatible with the hardware config of the MoBo sound device.
    I remembered this as the same happened upgrading W8 to 8.1 & there is no driver roll back option after the upgrade.
    The solution both times was to reinstall the original driver off the MoBo driver install disc.

Now W10, 2 days later, reinstalled the latest driver & the sound went funny again, this time the roll back option was available & seems to have worked.
    I don't blame Microsoft or W10 for this hiccup as it is just doing what it expects is right.

For those with Gigabyte Mother Boards that have integrated High Definition Surround Sound outputs.

It looks like this.

With the latest driver some of the outputs are missing or nonfunctional.
    The MoBo is a GA-Z77X-D3H.

I wrote feed back to Gigabyte when this happened in W8.1, however they obviously don't see it as a problem & continue to list drivers that are incorrect for this MoBo, or they have changed the hardware specification for the MoBo.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

unless your not deleting all the partitions?
    hate to dig the old fella out but

if you have upgraded & activated, then you go a clean install, & you say it doesnt need a key, how does it know your activated?
    It's explained here:

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

tristen (15-08-15)

Thanks

Default interesting anaysis of Windows 10

Translate to English

Analysis of Windows 10: In its principle, it is only a terminal to collect information about the user's fingers, eyes and voice!

Main Points
    Windows 10 performs a collection of texts entered on the keyboard. The texts are stored in temporary files and 1x 30 minutes shall be sent to the following sites:

oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
    pre.footprintpredict.com
    reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com

If, for example. I will write to the browser Edge any telephone number, up to approx. 5 minutes to gradually send information about the number of these telemetric Microsoft servers:

vortex.data.microsoft.com
    vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
    telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
    telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
    oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
    sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
    sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

Waiting for a passport photo? With Windows 10 you have it with the American authorities, apparently after turning on webcams

After the first activation of Windows 10, and after the first turn on the web camera over the Internet sends around 35 MB of data to these servers:

vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
    i1.services.social.microsoft.com
    i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

Tell me who you are and I memorize you, wherever you hear!

The biggest problem I see in the voice port Windows 10, which is newly equipped with a voice assistant Cortana. The system responds only to English (yet). But nevertheless quite intimidating. Voice samples of what you say in a voice port, they are immediately sent to the following Microsoft servers:

vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
    pre.footprintpredict.com
    i1.services.social.microsoft.com
    i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
    telemetry.appex.bing.net
    telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
    cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
    statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com

Cortana sends data to the internet, even though her ​​from Windows 10 to disable (will disable), which is a scandal that goes through already here , where it is stated that customer support Microsoft said that even after the "off" setting runs at Cortana Cortana continues in memory, which confirms my analysis. Communication is really runs the servers MS still. This is not a bug, but a feature in Windows 10. Confirms it but my assumption that voice port is completely separated from the voice of Cortana and analysis on Windows 10 takes place at a lower level operating system without your knowledge, even though Cortana "uninstall". According voice samples, should be sufficient in number and amount of falling into the hands example. NSA, it would be possible to identify the person, for example. At airports from eavesdropping microphones with accuracy exceeding 99%, or wherever you approached the microphone.

Interestingly sending data from the voice port. Cortana first converts voice to text. They are sent to the server:

pre.footprintpredict.com
    reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
    df.telemetry.microsoft.com

Heaps more but mammoth spyware included for free

Enjoy Windows 10

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wishy77 For This Useful Post:

allover (16-08-15),jimbo123 (15-08-15),lsemmens (15-08-15),Thala Dan (16-08-15),Tiny (16-08-15),weirdo (15-08-15)

Thanks

excuse my ignorance but without reading back 14 pages
    what's the verdict on downloading the upgrade to iso?
    or you must upgrade
    i want to d-load it on this pc, but not install it
    I downloaded the upgrade to USB installed all Win7 updates, everything working.

I then checked that my genuine copy of Windows 7 was validated.

It was!

I started to install 64 bit update, went through to 100% but the update failed as my (genuine) CD key was not valid. Of course I checked and double-checked and re-checked the CD Key.

Been through this three times without success.

So I am still running Win7!

Boo Microsoft!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Did you try and install an exact copy? i.e. W7x64 Home as original and W10x64 home as new. You cannot change 32bit for 64 bit etc.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

You only need your key to install 7, 8 or 8.1 Then upgrade, no key, then your machine will be given a new key. You can us a key program to see what it is but you don’t need it. You can do endless clean installs of 10 on that machine. Windows 10 will even upgrade from a keyless install of 7, 8, 8.1 and then you can clean install for free.
    It is windows hope that every pc is running 10 and then they will make their money on apps. When you upgrade you get DVD Player app free but clean install and you will have to fork out $18.

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pandorf View Post

I started to install 64 bit update, went through to 100% but the update failed as my (genuine) CD key was not valid. Of course I checked and double-checked and re-checked the CD Key.

Been through this three times without success.

So I am still running Win7!
    Replace your existing Windows 7 edition with a Windows 7 edition from and then upgrade to Windows 10. Guarantees 100% success!!!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

try windows loader......

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wishy77;665610

Analysis of Windows 10: In its principle, it is only a terminal to collect information about the user's fingers, eyes and voice!

[...

Heaps more but mammoth spyware included for free

Enjoy Windows 10
    For me Windows 10 is a solid operating system with an enviable collection of new features and functionality. But it's not perfect.

So why are people complaining? PCs are complex systems full of dozens of third-party components and software. There will inevitably be untested scenarios, intersections of code and hardware unaccounted for in all of Microsoft telemetry. Telemetry Microsoft is gathering from Windows 10 Upgrade installations via the "Get Windows App" to enable Microsoft to make updates to the fresh OS. Microsoft needs this data!

Remember 'Windows 10 Insider' program started months before "Windows 10 Free Upgrade" was rolled out. Its goal was to work with Windows fans to help improve the Windows 10 experience. Users provided feedback and telemetry, and Microsoft could make updates to the OS before officially launching it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (17-08-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

another Win 10 oddity, got the video drivers sorted and was able to install Win 10 as an upgrade from my previous Win 7 pro, running for the last few days without a problem, now find though that I have no DVD drive in Win 10, can see it in the BIOS, prompts to want to boot from disc etc when starting, once Windows loads no DVD drive to be seen, was working fine under 7, LiteON SATA DVD burner on a Gigabyte GA-EP41-UD3L board, wouldn't have thought that was too unusual, can't work out why yet, resorted to a USB burner for the moment

Thanks

Got the Critical Error. "Cortana and Start menu aren't working. We'll try to fix it next time you sign in".
    And that's it. The only option is to sign out.
    That kills the system for now. You can't even roll back to Win7 from there, only clean install will work.
    Not impressed so far. Now have to wait for Microsoft to come up with a fix, until then my recently upgrade Win10 machine is unusable.

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jok11n View Post
    another Win 10 oddity, got the video drivers sorted and was able to install Win 10 as an upgrade from my previous Win 7 pro, running for the last few days without a problem, now find though that I have no DVD drive in Win 10, can see it in the BIOS, prompts to want to boot from disc etc when starting, once Windows loads no DVD drive to be seen, was working fine under 7, LiteON SATA DVD burner on a Gigabyte GA-EP41-UD3L board, wouldn't have thought that was too unusual, can't work out why yet, resorted to a USB burner for the moment
    Try this:

1. Run Command Prompt as an Administrator.

2. Copy/type the following and enter

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Cont roller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

3. Reboot the system

Important: Above it must be Controller0 instead of Cont roller0 as AUSTECH distorts it.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 16-08-15 at 05:54 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

jok11n (16-08-15),Tiny (16-08-15)

• Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast