Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 General Discussion thread

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

On Friday I noticed a new icon on the task bar and when I checked, its the 'Get Widows 10' free upgrade offer.
    I had a look through it and started to enter my email address but I didnt complete it.
    I still have the offer Icon in the Task bar but the box to enter the email address is gone and if I am reading the information correctly, the upgrade will be available to me I think it said from the end of June (29th).
    My only concern is that it is a 3GB download which is a big chunk out of my 15GB monthly plan which runs from the 8th of one month to the 7th of the next and by then I am lucky to have 1GB left let alone 3.
    I see it allows 'you' to choose when you want to do the download so fingers crossed I can organise sufficient Data to do the download.
    This plan I have doesnt allow me to buy additional data blocks as it slows down to DialUp speed when I run out of data, could you imagine how long it will take at Dialup to download 3GB even it it would allow it and not fail because of the slow speed?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Perhaps a fellow member will burn the Windows 10 Upgrade installation file to optical storage / flash storage medium and then send it you?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,905 Posts

Yeah, not a problem, let me know whether you want 32 Bit or 64 Bit Gordon, or both if you like.

If you believed old Joe Blob you would still be on Win ME
    Last edited by Al Bundy; 17-06-15 at 08:10 PM.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following User Says Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (04-07-15)

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks for the offer Al Bundy, most appreciated.
    I dont mind doing the download so long as I am prepared for it because of its volume.
    I am in no hurry so would you mind if we hang 5 until the due date to see if it does either ask me first and allow me to cancel it or just downloads it to the computer.
    No good wasting your time if it downloads the update itself.
    I will have to run Belacadvisor to see what 'BIT' I am, I can never remember.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

No problems Gordon, the offer is there. I have 1TB of DL courtesy of Telstra, I'm lucky if I use 20GB a month, I have all the family come round and do their downloads here or get me to do them for them
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

I got one popup on my win 8.1 machine, which I reserved a copy and one on my win7 machine, a Asus EEEBox PC, not sure if I want to upgrade that????
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Premium Member
    Thanks

I reserved a copy of windows 10, then later checked my laptops compatibility, only to find that I would have a problem with my chipset (Mobile Intel® 965 Express Family). I googled it to find no definitive answer. Is there a driver update so I can get win 10 compatibility. I'm running 7 ultimate 64 bit.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

i wonder if its a free upgrade from win 10 preview?

joey my man
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogwort View Post
    I reserved a copy of windows 10, then later checked my laptops compatibility, only to find that I would have a problem with my chipset (Mobile Intel® 965 Express Family). I googled it to find no definitive answer. Is there a driver update so I can get win 10 compatibility. I'm running 7 ultimate 64 bit.
    Thanks.
    Intel released 8th May, 2015, a Windows 10 compatible chipset driver.

Supported chipsets:

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    i wonder if its a free upgrade from win 10 preview?

joey my man

I know I'm not Joe Blob Phil, but according to Microsoft's Gabriel Aul "You'll have to be upgrading from a system with a valid license for 7 or 8.x" so from that I would take it that if the W10 Preview version was installed on a machine with a licensed copy of W7, W8 or 8.1 only, in other words as clear as mud like most things coming out of Microsoft at the moment.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Thanks

its a personal choice
    i tried 10 months ago, as i did 8 wen it come out
    im happy with 7, i dont do apps, im a programs man
    1 is stability, os's mean nothing if it dont do what you want
    old saying, if it aint broken, dont fix it
    theres lots of bios upgrades for your old computers, who does that?
    go to 10 thats fine, have a good backup, if you dont like it, easy to redo what you like

Premium Member
    Thanks

its a personal choice
    i tried 10 months ago, as i did 8 wen it come out
    im happy with 7, i dont do apps, im a programs man
    1 is stability, os's mean nothing if it dont do what you want
    old saying, if it aint broken, dont fix it
    go to 10 thats fine, have a good backup, if you dont like it, easy to redo what you like
    Yep, take a complete image of my OS drive with Win 7 on it, look at W10, if I don't like it back to Win7, only thing is Microsoft officially stopped supporting Win 7 Sp1 on January 13th this year and Extended support runs out January 14th 2020 hopefully most bugs in W10 will be ironed out by then
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Thanks

i paid for xp upgrade 50 yrs ago
    been a free ride since then, im not worried
    i got 70 for dougen scoring last nite & 70 on a nag today, im rich

Banned

Thanks

Nelson Bay Computers, who else?

I suppose that approximately 80% of PCs in between have outdated BIOS / UEFI. If your PC's OEM doesn't update BIOS / UEFI automatically (Lenovo for example does it!), it's on you to check for available BIOS / UEFI updates.

My POV is that BIOS / UEFI updates will not make a computer faster, they generally won’t add new features you need, and they may even cause additional problems. You should only update your BIOS / UEFI if the new version contains an improvement you need. If your computer is working properly, you probably shouldn’t update your BIOS / UEFI. You likely won’t see the difference between the new BIOS / UEFI version and the old one. In some cases, you may even experience new bugs with a new version of the BIOS / UEFI, as the BIOS / UEFI that came with your computer may have gone through more testing.

EDIT:

IT'S ALWAYS A RISK TO FLASH THE BIOS / UEFI YOURSELF, unless the computer's mainboard has a Dual BIOS and/or Dual UEFI called backup-system onboard: on a second chip is an exact copy of the original BIOS / UEFI stored, which in case something got wrong during flashing you can activate.

If you ( or other members ) qualify this post as crap, then you must know this doesn't care me.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 19-06-15 at 02:16 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    On Friday I noticed a new icon on the task bar and when I checked, its the 'Get Widows 10' free upgrade offer.
    I had a look through it and started to enter my email address but I didnt complete it.
    I still have the offer Icon in the Task bar but the box to enter the email address is gone and if I am reading the information correctly, the upgrade will be available to me I think it said from the end of June (29th).
    My only concern is that it is a 3GB download which is a big chunk out of my 15GB monthly plan which runs from the 8th of one month to the 7th of the next and by then I am lucky to have 1GB left let alone 3.
    I see it allows 'you' to choose when you want to do the download so fingers crossed I can organise sufficient Data to do the download.
    This plan I have doesnt allow me to buy additional data blocks as it slows down to DialUp speed when I run out of data, could you imagine how long it will take at Dialup to download 3GB even it it would allow it and not fail because of the slow speed?
    Talk about not reading before running amok like Chicken Little because when I had the look for the 'advisory' after the 29th, I read its not the 29th of JUNE but the 29th of JULY !!!
    A totally different ball game in a few ways now but I am going to keep in mind Al Bundy's generous offer in case I need it.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Offer is there if you need it Godon, and just for Joe Blob's benefit, he might want to read the excerpt below, I hate saying I told you so but, I TOLD YOU SO

Summary

As we approach the launch of Windows 10 this summer, hundreds of millions of existing Windows users will be taking advantage the opportunity to upgrade their current version to Windows 10 for free. This represents an unprecedented change in Microsoft's business model of requiring purchase of a license. Windows 10 will be offered two ways to existing Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 users. You will be able to download the update through or you can download .ISO media and use it do an in place upgrade. For many persons, using ISO media will be the preferred method since you will have a backup copy for reinstall purposes if needed. Also for persons with limited bandwidth, this will be an excellent way avoid the need to download the update more than once if you have multiple computers. So lets take a look at upgrading to Windows 10.
    Details

Please be aware that you cannot use the to perform a clean install on first attempt. You must first upgrade from the qualifying version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 (whether you do it through or using the .ISO file). Ensure the upgrade is completed successfully and then ensure that it is activated. You can then proceed to do a clean install by using recovery media or using the Reset function in Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC (Get Started).
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Sorry, a bit premature I know, but, whatever...
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    Please be aware that you cannot use the free upgrade offer to perform a clean install on first attempt.
    That's I always said. Great to see that you now basically confirm it.

You must first upgrade from the qualifying version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 (whether you do it through Windows Update or using the .ISO file).
    The Windows Update and/or ISO you refer to has nothing to do with with so-called "Windows 10 Final" that in the end will be the base for the "Windows 10 Free Upgrade" which is this thread's topic: it applies to "Windows 10 Insider Preview" - the official pre-release (beta) for the new Windows 10, intended for testers.

BTW:
    Will Microsoft release "Windows 10 Free Upgrade" in ISO format, too? No one outside Redmond knows yet. Only soothsayer currently answer this question with YES.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Geez Joey, you are so forgetful, again you've forgotten what the disagreement was about just to refresh your memory from post #61;

....read the link in my post before yours just once more, just for you, so it can sink in to that thick arrogant skull of yours, it refers to a "clean" install, using the upgrade media which has been the norm from XP to Vista and onwards, all you are doing now is repeating what I've already pointed out in previous posts, cottoned on yet, or do we need to wait for another 3 or 4 of your crap posts before you catch up? The link in post #57 just to help you along.
    The question was asked can you perform a clean install, my reply in post #57 was "Sounds like a lot of f#cking about, but the answer appears to be yes" and when you read the link it explains why I said that, its in big bold letters at the top of the page, you can't miss it, but just for you;

Here it is for you one more time;
    Please just read the link.

In that same post I also said;
    ...Wouldn't think it would be an issue going from 32 Bit to 64 Bit, but you never know with the pricks.
    It has never been an issue to do a clean install to 32 Bit or 64 Bit using the same product key in the past (where 64 Bit was available) and I can't see why that won't continue to occur in the future seeing as Microsoft will be keeping your DPK on their server.

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    ....The Windows Update and/or ISO you refer to has nothing to do with with so-called "Windows 10 Final" that in the end will be the base for the "Windows 10 Free Upgrade" which is this thread's topic: it applies to "Windows 10 Insider Preview" - the official pre-release (beta) for the new Windows 10, intended for testers.
    Yes, the thread is from the "Windows 10 Insider Preview community" but if you bothered to read Andre's comments, you would have realised he was referring to and I quote;
    "Windows 10 will be offered two ways to existing Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 users" that is not Windows 10 Insider Preview users, get the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    BTW:
    Will Microsoft release "Windows 10 Free Upgrade" in ISO format, too? No one outside Redmond knows yet. Only soothsayer currently answer this question with YES.
    I'm not sure how many different ways it can be written down "You will be able to download the update through Windows Update or you can download .ISO media and use it do an in place upgrade". Do you have any suggestions as to how they should word it before you will believe them....

Soothsayer eh? So one moment you try to use what he says to try and back your argument and in the next your saying he's only making predictions, which way do you want it?
    Last edited by Al Bundy; 04-07-15 at 10:05 PM.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Banned

Thanks

@Al Bundy,

what us both sets apart from the beginning is simply explained:

All my posts relate to Windows 10 Free Upgrade,
    most of your posts, if not even all, relate to Windows 10 - in my eyes OFF-TOPIC stuff

This thread's title is "Windows 10 Free For 1 year", if I'm right then herewith Whiteox (OP) meant Microsoft's Windows 10 Free Upgrade, and not Windows 10, which you'll have to pay for and currently nobody knows when it will be released.

As I've said it here and in other threads already several times: If you ( or other members ) qualify my posts as crap, then you must know this doesn't care me, rather I find it ha-ha funny. And, I'm not forgetful, I don't suffer on a mental disease (recently medically certified!!!), I have POVs, feel free to post them here, whether you like it or not. Only a moderator's/administrator's ban could stop me to do so.

• Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast