Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 General Discussion thread

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Default Windows 10 General Discussion thread

Microsoft has announced that its next operating system will be offered as a free upgrade to owners of devices running Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Phone.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

best4less (22-01-15),David071 (26-01-15),forbirun (02-08-15),mkhannah (22-01-15),Tiny (22-01-15),tristen (23-01-15),Uncle Fester (22-01-15)

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

Having recently spent a day setting up a windoze 8.1 lappy for someone, I find that it is certainly much better than Windoze 8. I may just consider taking Billy up on the Freebie offer.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

LOL

The BBC link above asked UNOtelly to update my IP.
    Might be region blocked ?
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Offer it for free... Yep. Well done Bill. You've finally realised the crap you spew forth is worthless.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

I don't know if it was Bill's decision, but whoever decided it must have finally fathomed that all others offer their OS for free, albeit some linked to the hardware but upgrades are always free.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Excuse my skeptism but the only time anyone offers anything for FREE (particularly Microsoft) is because either they have will have a hard time selling it or they are losing their share of the market which they once dominated.
    I only briefly read the link but I have long held the view of 'holographic' screens being the future and now this seems another step towards that possibility.
    Once the 12 months is up, what happens then?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 389 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    The BBC link above asked UNOtelly to update my IP.
    Might be region blocked ?
    It's working OK for me.
    For most of my life, I lived a delusion

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Once the 12 months is up, what happens then?
    Well the upgrade is free for 12 months, so if you don't take up the free offer in that 12 month period, you will need to stay with what you had or purchase the new OS W10.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

The 'free' strategy is a calculated gamble for Microsoft, designed to put Windows in as many devices as possible. The company would then make up for any lost revenue by selling services such as Office over the Internet, or cloud.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (23-01-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

After the total disaster that was/is windoz 8 I'm not surprised they are offering W10 for free for one year, once bitten .......................

I found this quote funny
    Overall, we know that about only about 10% of computers are running Windows 8 and the adoption rate among companies is similar or lower," said Frank Gillett, an analyst at the Forrester consultancy
    Similar or lower what a joke, I dont think there is a single top 500 company in the world using W8

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Having recently spent a day setting up a windoze 8.1 lappy for someone, I find that it is certainly much better than Windoze 8. I may just consider taking Billy up on the Freebie offer.
    I used to run W7 on my old Dull Latitude D420 (With SSD) but it ran like a 'kin DOG, slow as a wet week, so I installed Mint and it literally flies @ everything I throw @ it now
    Last edited by alpha0ne; 22-01-15 at 07:46 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Been down the Mint route, both Cinnamon (nice eye candy) and the Unity route. It took a lot of stuffing around to get it to talk to my dual monitors at their respective native resolutions, Cinnamon never played that game at all. I then had to muck around to get it to talk to my Printer (an older Brother Laser Fax machine). After a while, Linux then decided that none of my other computers were worth talking to so, just stopped talking to them. Which is a pity as it was meant to be predominately a print server, and I would have migrated everything else over to Mint too once I have developed some of my Mission Critical Apps for multi platform use. I needed to print an Office 2010 document in a hurry one day and the Linux box picked that time to decide that it did not like the printer. I am now running W7 on that machine without all the "headaches" of convincing Linux to play nicely. I also gave Open Orifice a fair stab at my files, after spending three weeks attempting to convince Base to return to the last edited record I gave up and re-wrote the entire database using M$ Orifice 2010 in 3 days!! I am now busy adding some bells and whistles to that database instead of running around in circles like a chook with my head cut off. Give Billy his due, most times his stuff just "Works".

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    Offer it for free... Yep. Well done Bill. You've finally realised the crap you spew forth is worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    I don't know if it was Bill's decision ...
    I may just consider taking Billy up on the Freebie offer.

To keep you updated:

On 12 September 2007 Bill Gates left officially - on the company's assembly - Microsoft, on 27 June 2008, he worked for the last time 'all day' at Microsoft.

And, Windows 8 was released on 26 Oktober 2012.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Sorry I framed my question so badly but as usual I knew what I was thinking even if nobody else did.
    I meant after the 12 month trial was over, what would it cost to keep and could you clearly and completely remove it if you wanted to without any hassles or complications in doing so as sometimes things dont always work out that easy.

Even if Bill Gates isnt personally involved now with Microsoft, he would still have a 'Fatherly' interest in the company he helped set up as well as making in sure he is still getting dividends for the shares he holds in the company.

Has a cost been quoted if you decide to 'keep and buy' at the end of the trial period?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Has a cost been quoted if you decide to 'keep and buy' at the end of the trial period?
    It won't cost anything if you get it within the 12 months.
    The only catch I can see is for Windows 7 users:
    There is a slight catch for Windows 7 users, however: You’ll have to upgrade to Windows 10 within a year of its release to get it for free.
    After that, Microsoft will charge you money to upgrade.
    All the same, one year should be plenty of time for most Windows 7 users to make the switch.
    Source:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    I used to run W7 on my old Dull Latitude D420 (With SSD) but it ran like a 'kin DOG, slow as a wet week, so I installed Mint and it literally flies @ everything I throw @ it now
    Mint and Linux variants are fine for 'tinkerers', but they are not a viable OS for the vast, vast majority of business and home users who just need things to 'work'.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

jwoegerbauer (23-01-15),lsemmens (23-01-15),tristen (23-01-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

dunno why so many complain about windows 8
    been using it for a long time now and it flies
    if you don't like the Metro screen (I don't) get Classic Shell and the display is back to what you're used to
    you have to keep in mind this OS was written for all different types of appliances

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weirdo For This Useful Post:

jwoegerbauer (23-01-15),Tiny (23-01-15),tristen (23-01-15),vnboost (08-08-15)

Banned

Thanks

Even if Bill Gates isnt personally involved now with Microsoft, he would still have a 'Fatherly' interest in the company he helped set up as well as making in sure he is still getting dividends for the shares he holds in the company.
    Bill Gates - co-founder of Microsoft - since May 2014 is no longer the company's largest individual shareholder. Reportedly less than 5%. And by mid-2018 his ownership stake will likely vanish, because he annually sells under a preset trading plan Microsoft shares to fund the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    It won't cost anything if you get it within the 12 months.
    The only catch I can see is for Windows 7 users
    Users of XP and Vista are not entitled to "upgrade" for free of charge during the first year of Windows 10 release, which is expected in the summer of 2015. They have to pay from the beginning a today not known price. Workaround: Upgrade Windows XP to Windows Vista, then upgrade to Windows 7.

Again: Users of Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 exactly have one year to free "upgrade" to Windows 10. This is done either via Windows Update or reinstall, where in the latter case you would only have to remember the current Windows product key. I highly doubt that the latter method for all OEM versions of Windows (probably 90% of all Windows installations worldwide) will be possible because the product key OEMs use regularily is not accepted in all as a valid key during the Windows's activation process.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 23-01-15 at 06:44 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks

FWIW I am aware that Billy has "retired". As for the product key. Most machines with OEM windoze installed have a sticker with a valid key anyway, if they haven't, then I would seriously question the validity of the original install in the first place. The only problem I see, and it is common on many Laptops isn't so much the absence of the sticker, but the readability of same. The sticker is so worn and faded on my lappy, I would be stuffed without my recovery DVD.

Banned

Thanks

As for the product key. Most machines with OEM windoze installed have a sticker with a valid key anyway, if they haven't, then I would seriously question the validity of the original install in the first place. The only problem I see, and it is common on many Laptops isn't so much the absence of the sticker, but the readability of same. The sticker is so worn and faded on my lappy, I would be stuffed without my recovery DVD.
    Probably you'll find no desktop PC / laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed (OEM version) which has a COA (Certificate of Authenticity) sticker attached to it containing the Windows product key, because the Windows product key is unchangeably embedded in BIOS/UEFI. This will avoid product keys from being compromised and OEMs will buy what they need. The OEM pre-installed license is tied to the machine - it lives and dies with the machine. So you are not allowed to install a OEM-version of Windows on another computer. Was one of the improvements Microsoft was making to their "Activation 3.0".

But maybe I'm wrong ( as always, because I have been drinking the wrong ?), who knows.

EDIT:

In case of not having a Windows 7 / 8.1 COA sticker - as it is always provided with each retail version of Windows, you can buy it China for US $12.00 / piece.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 23-01-15 at 09:10 PM.

• Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast