Thread: some times it pays not to buy expensive brand names

Thanks

Default some times it pays not to buy expensive brand names

After being on holidays I used to use Colgate Total protection Advance whitening tooth paste

till i had no option while away and had aldi close by

it was cheaper to but aldi toothpaste with better fluride agents percentages

Colgate total care

sudium fluoride 0.22% w/w, triclosan 0.3% w/w

Aldi dentitex

sudium fluoride 1.1% w/w, triclosan 0.3% w/w + it was 140g instead of 110gram

goes to show just because you are buying brand name doesn't mean it better.

no i know and i can save 3 bux each time and has better agents
    Last edited by Chieflets; 22-01-15 at 05:49 PM.
    It's amazing how 2 people could be one on forums, must be identity theft cough cough 

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chieflets For This Useful Post:

gulliver (22-01-15)

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Be careful, too much fluoride can be as bad as none at all.

You don't need a lot.

Having said that the amount in the toothpaste of either brand is of no significance anyway, so you wont over do it no matter how many times you use it.

What I'd be worried about is what the filler/carrier is in the paste?

BTW: I've been a Qualified Dental Technician for 30+ years.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (22-01-15),jok11n (22-01-15),LeroyPatrol (22-01-15),VroomVroom (23-01-15),weirdo (23-01-15)

Thanks

With ALDI i would more worried where it was made.

Thanks

I think you'll find its made in Germany.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Potsy View Post
    Just because it's a German company doesn't mean it's made in Germany. So many of their products are made in China!

Leroyi
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

softel (23-01-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Just because it's a German company doesn't mean it's made in Germany. So many of their products are made in China!

Leroyi
    a great deal of products made in Germany are made in China also, assembled in Germany would be a better description in many cases

• The Following User Says Thank You to jok11n For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (23-01-15)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Potsy View Post
    Colgate-Palmolive is a multinational corporation headquartered in New York, NY (USA). The company has operations in 70-plus countries and sells its products in more than 200 countries. According to WiKiPedia "Colgate & Company" in New York, USA, sold in 1908 their first tube of toothpaste. Since 2014, the European production takes place in Poland. Don't think the Colgate toothpaste you purchase in Australia comes from there. I think it comes from a production plant in Australia (Sydney and the Gold Coast).

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

What have you been drinking, jwoegerbauer, we were talking about ALDI!

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    What have you been drinking, jwoegerbauer, we were talking about ALDI!
    Stupid comments are absolutely unnecessary!

OP's comparison was Colgate vs. Dentitex.

ALDI's Dentitex is Colgate. Yes, Dentitex is a trademark of ALDI, but it's made at the same place as Colgate & rebranded. People who buy at ALDI (should) know this. ALDI has never produced a product. ALDI's suppliers are always brand manufacturer and specialized manufacturer of private label brands.

Another example: Desktop computers, laptops and tablets sold by ALDI (mostly) are produced by Chinese hardware giant Lenovo. At least in Europe, especially in Germany, everyone who buys at ALDI knows this. Is probably due to the fact that there people on the facts are more interesting than elsewhere.

FYI: In contrast to ALDI Süd (which is present in Australia as ALDI) at ALDI Nord always a manufacturer's name stands on the products.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 23-01-15 at 04:53 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

Mods (23-01-15),Uncle Fester (24-01-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post

OP's comparison was Colgate vs. Dentitex.

ALDI's Dentitex is Colgate.
    Thank you for giving us that info.

I had no idea that was the case, we don't even have an Aldi store in Tas, so I never looked at the products.

learn something new every day.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

They might be made in the same factory this is very common, it does not mean they are the same product, that is incorrect

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Many 'Brand Names' sell their product under other names as well as their own both in the manufacture of appliances and the processing of foods.
    At Bathurst NSW, Edgels trading under the name of Simplot process a wide range of frozen and canned fruits and vegetables that are sold under various names, Birdseye is one, Chico and Spring Rolls are made there.
    Last year SPC, a major fruit cannery in the Griffiths area of NSW had trading problems and there was a possible risk of this important facility closing and the loss of many brand names, Golden Circle was one along with an ALDI brand called 'Sweet Valley' range of various fruits.
    Years ago I saw a doco hosted by Simon Townsend (Simon Townsend's Wonder World) who was at the Hunter Valley factory (NSW) where various liquid and powdered milk was processed and behind Townsend on shelves was all the brands of powdered milk made by this company, Like Black and Gold, Jewels, Bi-Lo etc, etc etc.

Ask your self how many plants are there in Australia who make 'Wheat Bix', 'Corn flakes', 'Rice Bubbles' and then count the various brands available and I think you find there are far more brands than plants which tells you every company is involved in selling their products to who ever wants to buy them.
    Yes ALDI do sell imported products as well as products 'Brand Names' made here and often at a cheaper price than the major supermarkets do.

Our ALDI store under went an expansion recently because they have added more items to their inventory which they wouldnt have done had not their customer base showed it was necessary as its the sales that make a break a business and ALDI sure has the sales which tells me that if their products were 'inferior' or 'substandard' they wouldnt be increasing their share of the market as they are doing almost on a daily basis much to the chagrin of both Coles and Woolworths.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 23-01-15 at 12:41 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

gulliver (23-01-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Many 'Brand Names' sell their product under other names as well as their own both in the manufacture of appliances and the processing of foods....
    Ask your self how many plants are there in Australia who make 'Wheat Bix', 'Corn flakes', 'Rice Bubbles' and then count the various brands available and I think you find there are far more brands than plants which tells you every company is involved in selling their products to who ever wants to buy them.
    You make it sound like they are the same product because they are made in the same factory. The majority of the time this is far from the case.

Yes, many of these products may be made in the same factory as a 'brand' name, but they are made with different ingredients, from different suppliers, to a different recipe.

This isn't to say the product is not worth eating - but don't think that by purchasing an Aldi product that is made in a 'brand' name factory that you are getting the same thing.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

jok11n (23-01-15),lsemmens (23-01-15)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I cannot wait for ALDI to make it to SoufOrz, their coffee (real stuff, not the powdered cr*p) is bloody good. For now I've got to wait for my daughter to post me some. As peteramjet states. Just because it is made in the same factory, does not mean it is the same product, the only thing you could lay claim to is consistency of said product. In other words, if one item of brand X tastes cr*p, then every one of the same item will, too. As far as electronics goes, most cheap clones produced in the same factory will be as good as the original, however, there may be a lower "acceptance" standard, so, say, a door that does not quite close properly on the "name brand" may get accepted on the "no name" product, despite coming off the same production line.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,224 Times in 1,916 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    Stupid comments are absolutely unnecessary!
    Well stop making them then....
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by coalminer View Post
    With ALDI i would more worried where it was made.

I am more worried where a lot of the stuff in Coles and Woolis is made.

I find a lot of packaged food items in Aldi where it says Australia, while I find no match for Ali's specialty chocolates and other imported European delicacies in other stores like Coles and Woolies, especially for the amazing low price to high quality ratio available at Aldi.

I keep getting the impression that Coles and Woolies is only interested in high profit margins and would trick the customer to achieve that, while Aldi shows more effort to check for a quality product before they offer it. Their return policy says it all: You get your money back If you don't like it, period.

Edit: just want to add that my wife swears by Aldi's washing powder, that can be 50% less or lower compared to brand names and since she has been using Aldi's Lacura cosmetic creams, which she thinks works better than 10X more expensive brands, her acne has just vanished by itself. She had been to countless dermatologists in the past to no avail but frustration and empty wallets.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 24-01-15 at 02:26 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...