Thread: Strange issue with Nuvi 2597

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Default Strange issue with Nuvi 2597

Since the last firmware upgrade Version 4.60, my Nuvi 2597 LMT has developed a strange issue.

It works as usual for a few days then all of a sudden when driving along the map disappears.

I'm running both Sensis & HERE maps as well as Oztopo 3 & Garmin Topo 4

All maps work ok for navigation except OZTopo of course.

All maps disappear at some time while driving, not every time just every couple of days.

If I power off the GPS & restart, the GPS says restarting to reload map data, then it restarts & works for few days, all maps work again, until they disappear again few days later.

I think I'll role back to previous firmware & see if it solves the issue.

I wonder if this an intentional bug in firmware to annoy people using non genuine maps
    The Nav HERE map is the only genuine one on it.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Ok; Couldn't roll back firmware, so I connected to Garmin Express, reinstalled the map & one data file was installed from firmware update that I already had. Hmmm.

Will be interesting to see if this fixes it.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Thanks

G'day Tiny. Did you clear the unit's non-volatile memory [nonvol]? Even more so than a hard-reset that will often cure erratic behavour: Tap 'Speed' field>Hold centre of Speddometer for ~5 secs to enter hidden Diagnostics Page>Tap 'Developer Info' and scroll down to Nonvol Statistics then tap the menu symbol [3 bars in top LH cnr] and follow the prompts. Backup your favourites first of course. It will default it to MTP instead of MSM too so reset that also in Diagnostics Page [MTP Settings].

To load an earlier firmware as an RGN file using Updater.exe in pre-boot you must first remove GUPDATE.GCD file from .System if it's present or the unit will immediately flash itself back to the later fw on first boot after the downgrade. Or you can drag the earlier fw GCD file to WebUpdater icon on your Desktop or directly onto WebUpdate.exe in Garmin\WebUpdater folder on your PC [it could be in C drive's root or Program Files] which will overwrite any GUPDATE.GCD on the unit. Loading an earlier fw will often force a comprehensive reset anyway.

PS: Detailed instructions/info is for others reading the thread, not you Mate.

I still don't fully trust GE, it's getting less flaky but still not totally bug-free. As you found it continues to occasionally offer updates that your unit already has. Had more bugs than a swaggie's matilda when they first released it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Tiny (30-01-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Thx mate; will try the [nonvol] next if what I've done don't fix it.

It makes sense; as I noticed it was providing mixed data last time out.
    Only had Navteq map selected yet it gave me; Map (roads) from Navteq HERE & speed limits were from Sensis map data.

I checked this with both Maps, the Sensis map speed limits are not in the same places as the HERE maps.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Feasibly seems a nonvol issue. Maybe you've had a system crash recently, or a freeze where you've had to force the unit off with the power button? That can occasionally result in unwanted data being retained in the non-volatile memory. It's ok to have maps covering the same area loaded provided only one is enabled as you know. SOME data is always available to the unit though, even if maps are unchecked. e.g. having both HERE and Sensis loaded will allow you to see the embedded POIs of both maps on the map screen and even navigate to them although they don't belong to the enabled map. But that's a benefit [albeit a little known one] and doesn't usually cause the problem such as you've experienced of unwanted features being displayed.

If just a clear nonvol doesn't help then downgrade the firmware, clear nv again, upgrade back to current, clear nv again. That's the most comprehensive reset possible at a user level.

[EDIT] PS: BTW, Downgrading by only one version is often not sufficient to force the unit to reset [i.e. go to Locale selection on first boot following downgrade]. As your unit should be HWID 1582 [going by your statement 'Since the last firmware upgrade Version 4.60' because V4.60 is latest for 1582, V6.30 for 2077], you can go all the way back to V2.40 to force a reset [progressively if necessary, if it refuses to go back to V2.40 in one leap try the higher versions immediately above one by one]. 2xx7 with HWID 2077 has had only two version releases v.6.30 & v5.30 since it's OEM version 4.60 and that isn't available [unless by a UAT prior to the unit's release].

Early versions are available from Perry site:
    Code:
    http://gawisp.com/perry/nuvi/
    Last edited by Surething; 31-01-15 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Add PS.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Tiny (30-01-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

well it appears the nonvol reset was the cure, all is working properly now.

Thanks to Surething for pointing me in that direction as I wasn't even thinking of it.

It's certainly one hell of a reset, starts out like new GPS.
    Had to re install my favourites from backup.
    Re Pair my hands-free blue-tooth with phone.
    Readjust all personal settings.
    Cheers, Tiny