Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Media Player for playing hard drive movies on a TV

Thanks

I bought a second hand Open Hour Chameleon. Got to set it up today and it's excellent! OS is loaded via SD card so I have atm Android 4.4.1 on one SD and Ubuntu on another. Loaded XBMC in Android and am having no problems!
    Very happy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jex View Post
    I bit the bullet an ordered a Noontec V7IIs + 3tb int HDD. Total $218. As I suspected, the A3 "Outlay Hard Disc cartridge " is chinglish for external HDD. The V7 & V7IIs both have the facility for mounting internal HDD.
    Please write a review when it arrives and you have set it up.
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

Thanks

Ok, The player seems pretty basic and the user manual is rubbish. I have downloaded a heap of movies & photos to the internal 3tb hard drive I installed in it. When using the laptop connection to install the movies, ther does not seem to be any way of putting them under the correct menu heading on the unit. They can all be accessed via the file menu though.

One problem I have found so far is .JPG display. I loaded a DVD of photos from my daughters wedding earlier this month. 50% of the 400 photo's will not display. After back&forth emails to Noontec support, this was their reply

"Here is the solution for your issue in displaying JPG photo files.
    There are two modes of JPG files: progressive and baseline.
    For progressive jpg files, the maximum resolution that V7IIs supports is 2080 x 2080;
    While for baseline jpg files, the maximum resolution that V7IIs supports is 65536 x 65536,
    that is to say there is no problem for the media player to display over 10mb such files.
    The picture you provided is progressive JPG files which is beyond maximum resolution that V7iis supports.
    The solution is when you save the picture, please save it as baseline mode instead of progressive mode, then the
    Media will display them with no problem."

I contacted the photographer re the progressive/baseline statement and she has no idea what they are talking about. She uses Photoshop to convert from RAW to .JPG and there are no settings for progressive / baseline so I have no way of displaying the 50% that wont display.

Another issue which may be normal is how DVD movie files copied to internal HDD are displayed. Each file displayed as an Audio_TS & Video_TS file. I am not sure why this is? It may have been the DVD Fab software I used.

John

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jex View Post

Another issue which may be normal is how DVD movie files copied to internal HDD are displayed. Each file displayed as an Audio_TS & Video_TS file. I am not sure why this is? It may have been the DVD Fab software I used.
    If you open any movie DVD there is always a Audio_TS & Video_TS file...the Audio_TS is always blank and all the video files are in Video_TS.
    Why DVD Fab is doing this is odd...it may be your settings are wrong. I take it you are not converting the DVD into avi or mkv files but are copying the vob files from the dvd

Progressive jpeg are used for the web usually while baseline jpeg is the norm.
    Apparently you can convert them using Microsoft paint by opening a progressive and then save as a jpeg
    Irfanview (free) also supposedly does this.

Progressive jpegs show on a web page as blurred then gets clearer
    Baseline jpegs start at the top and slowly reveals the pic
    Last edited by mandc; 22-02-15 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks

Thanks mandc, I used paint to save them again as jpeg's and now all good. I think I will be a while doing the remaining 195 photo's

Thanks

I want not recommend this media player to anyone. I am finding more problems with it the more I use it. If you accidentally click on a video_TS.VOB file, it goes into a few blank screens and then reboots. There is another format, I don't remember which one, it comes up with an error box saying the file is not supported, continues to play the file ok but it cant be stopped . The only way to stop it is turn the box off and start again. My opinion for what it's worth, give it a miss, there must be something better out there.

Thanks

if your TV is a smart Tv with an ethernet plug you dont need a media player. Just a HDD networked and the TV will pick up the rest. If you dont have a smart TV, use a minix android box to run XBMC and it will find all your movies on your network.

Thanks

Default Media Player for playing hard drive movies on a TV

Have recently helped to setup a media player for 2 friends using the Dick Smith HD PVR Set Top Box costing $50. Has a usb 2.0 port for sticks and external HDD, to date has played most video files thrown at it. Has a 12 month warranty.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12