Thread: battery back up of grid

Banned
    Thanks

Default battery back up of grid

HI
    I am looking to get sma with 5kw system with the option of battery backup.
    has anyone had this system its a schneider inverter.

Look Here ->

Thanks

Just get some headlight fluid in milk bottles. Wire them in series. You'll be right.

Thanks

batteries are a huge expense atm, but prices are falling & there are a few interesting modular setup becoming avail.
    woteva

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    Just get some headlight fluid in milk bottles. Wire them in series. You'll be right.
    Do you get that at the same Servo that sells Blinker Light Fluid??

To power a whole house you would need quite a few batteries but if you can 'economise' your power needs during an 'outage', it would cut the cost of a big battery bank.
    I have a small 240V 1400 amp generator and that is sufficient to run a couple of low wattage globes, the TV, 2 STB's, audio amp, TV antenna amp and the cordless phone.
    Unless your going to be out for more than 24 hours, the fridge/freezer contents wont suffer if you keep them closed.
    I have kept the contents of a chest freezer 'safe' for almost 72 hours by filling up any spaces with packing (newspaper/towels/blankets etc) and not opening it up unless absolutely necessary.
    As a last resort, bagged ice if you can get it would help too.

For lighting I use both rechargeable LEDS and a couple of wind up small torches which are enough to get about with.
    I dont know how much power either a fridge or freezer combined or separate needs to operate over a period but it would be worth doing the maths.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I have a small 240V 1400 amp generator...
    I think you mean 1400 watts

Premium Member

Thanks

WHOOPS, 1400 AMPS might just TOOOOO much, sorry about that but I meant that even with just that power output, you can manage with care and it costing too much.
    One big question I keep asking when I look at a 'back up', how often does the power go out and for how long to justify the cost of either a bigger generator or Battery system ???
    Here it was near 72 hours last October with the unexpected snow storm and 2 weeks ago the power was out for 12 hours with a planned new poles replacement.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Wow, I just gave away 5kWhr of batteries today.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    Wow, I just gave away 5kWhr of batteries today.
    Let me guess, they had less than 0.5kW/h capacity left and tomorrow they are off to China

It is still the same story, the cost of replacing the batteries is still higher than the power bill over their usable life... and it will stay that way until the Gov stops subsidising coal powered electricity generation. I am sure there are plenty of big players around who have vested interest that batteries do not get too cheap.

Probably better to figure out a DIY concept using solar panels to make H2 and power fuel cells.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Let me guess, they had less than 0.5kW/h capacity left and tomorrow they are off to China

It is still the same story, the cost of replacing the batteries is still higher than the power bill over their usable life... and it will stay that way until the Gov stops subsidising coal powered electricity generation. I am sure there are plenty of big players around who have vested interest that batteries do not get too cheap.

Probably better to figure out a DIY concept using solar panels to make H2 and power fuel cells.
    I am at a bit of a loss at the claim that the 'Government are subsidising coal powered generation' when I would have thought it was the installation and rebates for Solar panels was where the subsidise where going to.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

I made a small mistake and forgot to carry the zero. It was 50kWhr of batteries
    They were in very good condition and were well looked after. Damn shame to give them away, but they've found a good home.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I am at a bit of a loss at the claim that the 'Government are subsidising coal powered generation' when I would have thought it was the installation and rebates for Solar panels was where the subsidise where going to.

The big boys in fossil fuel/energy are subsidised annually with 10billion, mostly with tax breaks and other indirect methods, exploration up to 4billion also with direct payments.

examples of sources:

Don't worry the harmful solar rebates are planned to be cancelled.

If I shop around and buy the panels myself and DIY installation I am better off without the rebates anyhow. Somebody in the business has been pocketing the rebates big time, not the end user, well at least a few years ago. It seems their profit margins are now a bit tighter lately.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    I made a small mistake and forgot to carry the zero. It was 50kWhr of batteries
    They were in very good condition and were well looked after. Damn shame to give them away, but they've found a good home.
    PM me next time you want to get rid of +10kW/h of good batteries ...please

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Somebody in the business has been pocketing the rebates big time, not the end user....
    Too right. However, there were a few honest operators who passed the rebates on to the consumer. My better half managed to get a 1kW solar system installed, complete with a SunnyBoy inverter for $120.00 back in the heyday of the rebates. It wouldn't have cost anything, but her roof required a different sort of mounting for the panels, hence the $120. 1kW isn't much, but it paid for itself after only two quarters with the high feed in tariffs at the time. Unfortunately, the good FIT was not transferable to the new owners when she sold the place. Wish I'd known about that at the time!