Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: MotoGP 2015 Season

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

What a race, I'll let the experts from MotoGP.com tell the story.

A dominant Jorge Lorenzo works his magic to match Mike Hailwood’s record of 37 premier class victories at the Catalan GP.

Movistar Yamaha’s Lorenzo has been simply unstoppable in the last four races. After an awful start to the season that saw him plagued by issues for the first three races, no one has had an answer to the Spaniards pace since.
    At the Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya, local hero Lorenzo made it four consecutive race wins and equalled Mike Hailwood’s record of 37 premier class victories in front of 97,000 partisan fans.
    This is the first time Lorenzo has managed to win four races in a row, and in achieving this feat he also broke Casey Stoner's record for the most laps led consecutively in a race (83), with Lorenzo having now managed to lead the last 103 laps across the line.
    Although Lorenzo appeared to be in complete control, he revealed afterwards that was not the case: “To be honest, the last ten laps of today‘s race were probably one of the most hard and intense laps of my career. Valentino was very fast and knowing that the track was really hot and there was less grip than yesterday, I‘m happy with the results.”
    The only person who could get anywhere near Lorenzo during the race was his teammate Rossi. Lorenzo must have experienced Déjà vu when his pit board told him Rossi was closing on him during the latter stages in a scene reminiscent of the 2009 race, when the Italian beat him at the very last corner: “When he reduced the gap from 2.0s to 1.4s I was really worried that I would lose this race. I needed to push and risk more while the bike was already moving a lot, which is what I did in the last ten laps.”
    Rossi himself admitted he had, once again, given Lorenzo too much of a head start: “I was good in the beginning of the race when I was overtaking and I was fast, but it was not enough, because when I arrived to the second position Jorge already had a 1.5s gap. It‘s a great shame because I had the pace to fight with him and I could have been very strong in a battle, because I was very strong in braking.
    Rossi, however, does appear to be getting closer to his teammate’s pace: “I am happy as I had a good pace, good setting, my speed is equal in the race today to Jorge, that is a good target. After seven races, we have one point difference and a similar pace, so it will be interesting I think!”
    Lorenzo now trails Rossi by just one point in the Championship standings, in what appears to be turning into a two horse race. The problem is, unless Rossi can find a solution to his Qualifying woes, he will find it hard to catch Lorenzo come race day.
    Someone who felt the full effect of Lorenzo’s race-pace was Repsol Honda’s Marc Marquez. Marquez was the one rider who had looked like he might be able to stick with Lorenzo during the race. The Spanish rider, however, crashed out on just the third lap as he tried to keep up: “I tried to give 100% at my home race but I made a mistake trying to push too much, as I wanted to do well – at all costs – and these things can happen.”
    The reigning MotoGP™ World Champion’s hopes of a third consecutive title now seem in tatters, as he is currently fifth in the standings, 69 points behind Rossi with just 11 races remaining.
    To emphasise the apparent gulf in class between the Factory Yamaha’s and the rest of the field, Marquez’s teammate Dani Pedrosa crossed the line in third over 18.5s behind the duo. Pedrosa took his first podium of the season, matching Mick Doohan’s record of 95 premier podiums in the process, as he continues his comeback from arm pump surgery: “I am very happy because it has been a very long process, we struggle a lot, suffer a lot in the last months, everything looked against me. I followed my heart and this was the right thing to do. I have made positive progress with each round. But finally some good results, especially in front of the home crowd was great.”
    Although the former 125cc and 250cc World Champion is under no illusions about the task at hand: “It was impossible to follow Jorge and Valentino, because they were far ahead in terms of performance. We will try to pull back the gap a little for the coming races and see if in testing tomorrow we can find something positive – and understand the situation better.”
    The rest of the paddock will have a chance to try to close the gap on the Factory Yamaha team at the official test on Monday at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.

Maverick Viñales on the second GSX-RR recovered from way down outside of the top 10 after a disastrous start from the front row to finish in a career best sixth position.

Scott Redding (Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS) equalled the best result of his MotoGP™ career in seventh, with Stefan Bradl (Athina Forward Racing) taking the Open class win in eighth.

Danilo Petrucci (Octo Pramac Racing) and Alvaro Bautista (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini) completed the top ten, as a number of riders crashed out on the slippery track surface.

Yonny Hernandez, Cal Crutchlow, Andrea Dovizioso, and both of the Espargaro brothers all crashed, as only 16 riders completed the race.

Barcelona, Sunday, June 14, 2015
    Pos. Points Num. Rider Nation Team Bike Km/h Time/Gap
    1 25 99 SPA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 165.3 42'53.208
    2 20 46 ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 165.2 +0.885
    3 16 26 SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 164.0 +19.455
    4 13 29 ITA Ducati Team Ducati 163.7 +24.925
    5 11 38 GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 163.5 +27.782
    6 10 25 SPA Team SUZUKI ECSTAR Suzuki 163.4 +29.559
    7 9 45 GBR EG 0,0 Marc VDS Honda 163.0 +36.424
    8 8 6 GER Athinà Forward Racing Yamaha Forward 162.6 +42.103
    9 7 9 ITA Octo Pramac Racing Ducati 162.2 +49.350
    10 6 19 SPA Aprilia Racing Team Gresini Aprilia 162.0 +52.569
    11 5 43 AUS CWM LCR Honda Honda 161.9 +53.666
    12 4 50 IRL Aspar MotoGP Team Honda 161.8 +55.765
    13 3 76 FRA Athinà Forward Racing Yamaha Forward 161.8 +55.832
    14 2 63 FRA Avintia Racing Ducati 161.0 +1'09.037
    15 1 15 RSM E-Motion IodaRacing Team ART 160.0 +1'25.263
    16 8 SPA Avintia Racing Ducati 156.1 1 Lap
    Not Classified
    41 SPA Team SUZUKI ECSTAR Suzuki 163.8 5 Laps
    69 USA Aspar MotoGP Team Honda 157.9 12 Laps
    33 ITA Aprilia Racing Team Gresini Aprilia 155.1 19 Laps
    4 ITA Ducati Team Ducati 145.9 19 Laps
    44 SPA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 162.9 21 Laps
    93 SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 143.4 22 Laps
    35 GBR CWM LCR Honda Honda 118.0 22 Laps
    68 COL Octo Pramac Racing Ducati 161.3 23 Laps

MotoGP World Standing 2015

Pos. Rider Bike Nation Points
    1 Yamaha ITA 138
    2 Yamaha SPA 137
    3 Ducati ITA 94
    4 Ducati ITA 83
    5 Honda SPA 69
    6 Yamaha GBR 68
    7 Honda GBR 47
    8 Suzuki SPA 46
    9 Yamaha SPA 45
    10 Honda SPA 39
    11 Ducati ITA 39
    12 Suzuki SPA 31
    13 Honda GBR 27
    14 Ducati COL 26
    15 Ducati SPA 16
    16 Yamaha Forward FRA 13
    17 Aprilia SPA 11
    18 Honda AUS 11
    19 Yamaha Forward GER 9
    20 Ducati ITA 8
    21 Honda USA 8
    22 Honda IRL 7
    23 Honda JPN 5
    24 Ducati FRA 2
    25 ART RSM 1
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (16-06-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Honda HRC need to install a lift kit to MM's bike, i swear he is going to do a back injury soon
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks

I see Daryl Beattie has changed his tune on Rossi after watching RPM, where Daryl said "Rossi was the most recognisable Motorcycle rider in the world" and "Never under estimate Rossi, he has won from the 3rd row before"

Well Daryl, for someone that stated he will never win another MotoGP race (18months ago), Rossi is currently leading the 2015 MotoGP session
    I hope RPM pull out the old footage of him saying it before the years out.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 18-06-15 at 11:35 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Tiny (18-06-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

A bit before time, but Grandstand Tickets for the Sepang MotoGP $16.80ea.
    Its no wonder so many Aussie's make the flight over, especially if you live in Perth! $99 Flights, $16.80 Grandstand Tickets, 5 Star Accom $100 a night!
    Seriously, why would you ever bother with freezing cold Philip Island and $360 Grandstand tickets and $20 parking, and you still need to get there and pay ridiculous accom prices.

Tiny (24-06-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

I find that going to every race via satellite is a great deal; I can watch it live or record & watch later, add free, best seat in the house, beer is cold & cheap, food is exactly what I like, no crowds, accommodation cost is zero, travel is zero.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (24-06-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I find that going to every race via satellite is a great deal; I can watch it live or record & watch later, add free, best seat in the house, beer is cold & cheap, food is exactly what I like, no crowds, accommodation cost is zero, travel is zero.
    I can't disagree with you there but I have enjoyed going to the wsbk at Phillip island the last couple of years. Crowds are small compared to Motogp. You can see so much of the track from various vantage points.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    I can't disagree with you there but I have enjoyed going to the wsbk at Phillip island the last couple of years. Crowds are small compared to Motogp. You can see so much of the track from various vantage points.

Leroy
    yeah me & the missus rode from Sydney to Phillip Island & camped over for a few WC 500cc (now MotoGP), got to see Wayne Gardner win both times, went to a couple of the early SBK as well, all back in the late 80's - early 90's.

Had a ball camping in the mud, bikes & people making noise all night, porta-loos & showers, paying ridiculous price for food & beer, etc.

Did enjoy getting around the track & as I was a racer at the time (had some contacts) had access to the pits during the day for a couple of the events.

I don't miss it though.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member
    Thanks

Not much of a video, but its better than nothing.... Seems a bit scripted
    Especially at the price tag.

Tiny (26-06-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Reminder MotoGp this weekend on Saturday night.

Qualifying tonight.

Free practice 1 & 2 been on already, Rossi quick.

Valentino Rossi enjoyed a much better start to a Grand Prix weekend at the Motul TT Assen, ending the day in third.

Eager to the hit the ground running, Valentino Rossi began his Assen challenge with finding a solid basis set-up before closing the session with a time attack. His first attempt to a hot lap immediately moved him to the top spot in the ranking order. Knowing he had more in him, he continued to further improve his leading time over the next two laps and signed off FP1 with a 1‘34.357.
    The afternoon saw more of the same from Rossi. He spent most of 45 minutes focusing on improving his setting before putting it to the test in the final stages of the session. Clearly feeling at home at one of his favorite tracks, he wrapped up the first day with a third fastest time of 1‘33.652, 0.202s from the front.

Valentino Rossi:
    “It has been a good Thursday. I‘m happy because we worked well during the sessions and we found some interesting solutions. The first priority today was to find out which chassis we prefer, the new one or the standard one. I feel good with the new one. My pace and my lap times were especially good this morning when I was in front, but also in the afternoon. Securing third position is a very good performance, because the first five to seven riders are really close in times. It‘s a good way to start the weekend, but we still have a lot to do. It‘s very important to use this bit of dry track time in Assen well, because we hope the weather will stay like this, but you never know. Now we will wait for tomorrow. Both the harder and soft tyres are not so bad for the race, it will depend on the conditions. If it‘s hot, like it was today, you can decide to try the harder rear tyre.”

Cheers, Tiny

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Bigfella237 (26-06-15),ol' boy (26-06-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post

Free practice 1 & 2 been on already, Rossi quick.

Ah crap!!! When was that on Tiny?

EDIT: I just read that MM crashed on his outlap of FP1... I seriously hope HRC have fitted lift straps on his bike, he needs them.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 26-06-15 at 10:44 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Watching Dani Pedrosa using the thumb rear brake was awesome!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Ah crap!!! When was that on Tiny?

EDIT: I just read that MM crashed on his outlap of FP1... I seriously hope HRC have fitted lift straps on his bike, he needs them.
    FP1 & 2 on last night, we forgot too.
    Caught FP2 replay today.

FP3 on at 5:45PM today.

Didn't know about MM decking it again, crap.
    Did hear he has gone back to last years frame to solve his front end tuck.

Watching Dani Pedrosa using the thumb rear brake was awesome!
    Yeah awesome, just as Mick Doohan did.

Must be hard to change the foot brake habit to thumb brake after all these years of repetitive muscle memory.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member
    Thanks

I'd be a lot better at wheelies if i had a thumb rear brake
    FP3... ROSSI!!!!

Eat that Beatie

EDIT: Rossi Gets Pole!

Valentino Rossi sets the fastest ever time on a bike around the TT Circuit Assen to claim his first pole position since Valencia in 2014.

Movistar Yamaha’s Rossi silenced the doubters by smashing Casey Stoner’s previous pole record from 2012 by over a second to claim his 61st career pole position. The nine-time World Champion set a 1’32.627, the fastest ever time on a motorbike around the 4.5km track
    Not only did Rossi smash the lap record by over a second, and put it on pole, he topped off Q2 with a one handed wheelie down the main straight while waving at the crowd!
    Talk about legend status, at 36 years old, its like he's just warming up... lovin the sport.
    Can only hope he gets a great start and then fights the rest off with pure ability.

I found some extracts of what Beattie said;

Three-time Grand Prix winner Daryl Beattie says the title-winning days of Valentino Rossi are over as the Italian great struggles to keep up with the next generation of riders.
    and

but Beattie told the Australian Grand Prix ‘Keeping Track’ podcast that the 34-year-old Rossi simply can’t keep pace with the likes of championship leader Marc Marquez, who is 14 years his junior.
    Beattie also went on to say this about Casey Stoner

Double world champion Casey Stoner will never go down as one of MotoGP's icons, according to fellow Australian and former grand prix winner Daryl Beattie
    Mmmmmm maybe some sour grapes from a guy that doesn't even have a world title to his name?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 27-06-15 at 10:19 AM.

Tiny (27-06-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Yeah good ride for pole.
    Very close.

Eat that Beatie
    Exactly what I said last night when it was done.

Looking forward to the race, hope they all make it to the end for a good battle.

Valentino Rossi knows how important his pole position at the Motul TT Assen is for his title hopes.

Topping the combined free practice times after FP4, Rossi was determined to drop a hot lap during the 15 minute long time attack. He was the first man to leave pit lane and momentarily took pole before dropping down the order to eighth place. His second attempt didn‘t gain him any places, but his third hot lap moved him up to fifth.
    He hastened back to his pit box for some fresh tyres with seven minutes left on the clock. After a minute he was ready to hit the track once more. The Italian was unable to improve on his next lap, dropping down to eighth in the ranking order, but this only seemed to motivate him even more. Completely focused on getting that all important front row start, he gave it his all on his final push and delivered a brilliant 1'32.627 lap to claim pole. Rossi’s stunning pole is 0.835s quicker than the previous circuit best lap record set by Marc Marquez last year.

Valentino Rossi:
    “Assen is always special for me, because I have great memories here. I have won here in the past and a lot of important races in my career took place at this circuit. I love this track, because it‘s fantastic. There‘s already a lot of crowd assembled here today and this is a good moment, because it gives you a special feeling when you get the pole position, especially for me, because it doesn‘t happen that often. Getting pole position is vital for tomorrow. It was very important that I started the weekend well, beginning with yesterday‘s first practice session. I felt good with the bike and started with a good basic setting. Today’s result is important because I wanted to start more in front, because we always struggle a lot when qualifying on the second and third row.”

Assen, Friday, June 26, 2015
    Pos. Num. Rider Nation Team Bike Km/h Time Gap 1st/Prev.
    1 46 ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 313.0 1'32.627
    2 41 SPA Team SUZUKI ECSTAR Suzuki 300.5 1'32.858 0.231 / 0.231
    3 93 SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 314.5 1'32.886 0.259 / 0.028
    4 26 SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 314.2 1'32.987 0.360 / 0.101
    5 44 SPA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 311.2 1'33.013 0.386 / 0.026
    6 29 ITA Ducati Team Ducati 315.8 1'33.016 0.389 / 0.003
    7 35 GBR CWM LCR Honda Honda 311.8 1'33.028 0.401 / 0.012
    8 99 SPA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 308.3 1'33.042 0.415 / 0.014
    9 25 SPA Team SUZUKI ECSTAR Suzuki 304.4 1'33.076 0.449 / 0.034
    10 4 ITA Ducati Team Ducati 317.9 1'33.112 0.485 / 0.036
    11 9 ITA Octo Pramac Racing Ducati 308.9 1'33.126 0.499 / 0.014
    12 38 GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 311.8 1'33.236 0.609 / 0.110
    Weather Conditions:

| Track Condition: Dry| Air: 23º| Humidity: 53%| Ground: 37ºRecords:

Fastest Lap: Lap: 8 1'32.627 176.5 Km/h
    Circuit Record Lap: 2012 1'34.548 172.9 Km/h
    Best Lap: 2015 1'32.627 176.5 Km/h

Pos. Num. Rider Nation Team Bike Km/h Time
    13 6 GER Athinà Forward Racing Yamaha Forward 305.3 1'33.789
    14 68 COL Octo Pramac Racing Ducati 304.5 1'33.875
    15 76 FRA Athinà Forward Racing Yamaha Forward 301.0 1'33.999
    16 45 GBR EG 0,0 Marc VDS Honda 302.6 1'34.071
    17 8 SPA Avintia Racing Ducati 312.7 1'34.223
    18 63 FRA Avintia Racing Ducati 306.0 1'34.289
    19 50 IRL Aspar MotoGP Team Honda 301.5 1'34.428
    20 43 AUS CWM LCR Honda Honda 302.6 1'34.645
    21 19 SPA Aprilia Racing Team Gresini Aprilia 303.3 1'34.736
    22 69 USA Aspar MotoGP Team Honda 300.7 1'34.972
    23 15 RSM E-Motion IodaRacing Team ART 293.3 1'35.189
    24 33 ITA Aprilia Racing Team Gresini Aprilia 302.6 1'36.376

Edit: Marquez is tipping Rossi as the man to beat. Me too.

Marc Marquez qualified in third for the Motul TT Assen although he believes there is still room for improvement.

The reigning World Champion took the initiative from the start in the grid-defining session, topping the timesheet with his first attempt. Although he again improved with his second tire, his final lap of 1:32.886 was only bested Rossi and Aleix Espargaro.

Marc Marquez:
    “Every rider was on the limit in qualifying. I'm happy, because we knew this circuit was going to be tough for us, but still we are close to Valentino and Jorge, who are very fast and smooth here. We are finding things a little tougher as we are still missing a tenth or half a tenth, but we will try to be as close as possible to them tomorrow and see what happens. I think it will be difficult, especially against Valentino.”

Last edited by Tiny; 27-06-15 at 10:34 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny

ol' boy (27-06-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yep, looking like another great race with Master and Apprentice

I'm also going to mention Pedrosa as one to watch, he would have to be one of the fastest riders i've watched at the track, no one lays it over like him.
    He's going to be my roughy for the race
    Then again, Lorenzo is probably playing smart, let them smash into each other in the first few corners and he will run away with it.

Far out, is MotoGP showing F1 what motorsports should be!!!
    Never a dull moment in MotoGP, plenty of competition, great battles.... and no egos and whinging!

I guess Moto2's Anthony West is hoping for rain, so he can win another Moto2 race
    Last edited by ol' boy; 27-06-15 at 10:37 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

jok11n (28-06-15),Tiny (27-06-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Yep, looking like another great race with Master and Apprentice

I'm also going to mention Pedrosa as one to watch, he would have to be one of the fastest riders i've watched at the track, no one lays it over like him.
    He's going to be my roughy for the race

Far out, is MotoGP showing F1 what motorsports should be!!!
    Never a dull moment in MotoGP, plenty of competition, great battles.... and no egos and whinging!

I guess Moto2's Anthony West is hoping for rain, so he can win another Moto2 race
    Yeah bring it on.

Agreed; no whinging & mutual respect is what makes it all very pleasant & exiting to watch.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member
    Thanks

Not that i have looked that hard, but i am surprised by the lack of Asian riders in MotoGP now.
    10 years ago, or was that 15 years ago.... It looked like the Asians were going have a big presence in the sport.
    God knows their supporters are some of the most passionate and excitable, especially given bikes make up such a huge percentage of Asian motor vehicles on roads.

There is the Asian Cup, but even its getting its fair share of western riders in the series.

Red Bull Rookies session started on May 2nd 2015, with another Red Bull Rookie race at Assen this weekend.
    Is it getting any coverage from Foxtel this year?

Australian "Olly Simpson" was in 2nd position after the first round, , he is now 5th after Race 1 in Assen, would be nice to watch him race.
    He scored no points in the Race 1 at Assen, be handy to know what happened.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 27-06-15 at 11:06 AM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Red Bull Rookies session started on May 2nd 2015, with another Red Bull Rookie race at Assen this weekend.
    Is it getting any coverage from Foxtel this year?

Australian "Olly Simpson" was in 2nd position after the first round, , he is now 5th after Race 1 in Assen, would be nice to watch him race.
    He scored no points in the Race 1 at Assen, be handy to know what happened.
    Haven't seen or heard anything of the RB rookies on Fox??
    Cheers, Tiny

ol' boy (27-06-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I'm not even sure if BT Sports has been showing it

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Hmmm didn't know qualifying was yesterday!!

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast