Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: MotoGP 2015 Season

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Hmmm didn't know qualifying was yesterday!!

Leroy
    Well just incase you didn't know the race is tonight.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

That post of mine I can't even see it now...... forum issue?

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Pedrosa, oh dear!
    Thats not when you want to crash.

Looks like the weather is going to be another factor in this race.
    As if there isn't enough already going on

EDIT: Moto3... Epic as always, but what a finish!!!!

Last edited by ol' boy; 27-06-15 at 09:01 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Master and Apprentice indeed!
    Getting sick of MM using other riders as braking and cornering options, that will learn the young boy.

Last edited by ol' boy; 28-06-15 at 12:55 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Tiny (28-06-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

I thought it lucky that they both didn't crash or Rossi ending in the gravel.

MM seems to think he should have won?? See second article.

Valentino Rossi wins in dramatic fashion after an incredible race-long battle with Marc Marquez at the Motul TT Assen.

97,000 fans basking in the sunshine at the legendary TT Circuit Assen were treated to one of the greatest MotoGP™ battles ever witnessed as the nine-time World Champion Valentino Rossi managed to hold off Marc Marquez in a dramatic end to the race to take his 111th GP victory and extend his championship lead.
    Marquez made a move on Rossi as the duo entered the final chicane on the very last lap and made contact with the Italian, forcing Rossi to run straight on through the gravel. Rossi managed to stay upright though and went on to take the chequered flag 1.242s ahead of Marquez, claiming his third win of the season and first from pole position since Misano in 2009.
    Movistar Yamaha’s Rossi, starting from pole for the first time since Valencia last season, led into the first corner and it didn’t take Marquez long to join him after starting from third on the grid, overtaking Aleix Espargaro on the first lap to move into second.

Marquez was happy to sit behind Rossi for most of the race, before making his move and taking the lead into turn 1 on lap 20. Rossi bided his time, and then responded with 3 laps to go to retake the lead at turn 10. The Italian then put in his fastest lap of the race in an effort to pull away, but Marquez responded on the final lap to get within striking distance once again as the duo approached the final chicane.
    Rossi’s teammate Jorge Lorenzo enjoyed a brilliant start from eighth on the grid, and found himself in third after the first lap. Any hopes the Spaniard had of making it five wins in a row disappeared shortly afterwards though, as Rossi and Marquez pulled away at the front and disappeared off into the distance. The double MotoGP™ World Champion eventually crossing the line 14.576s behind his teammate in a lonely third position.
    Ducati Team’s Andrea Iannone (+19.109s) was another four seconds back as he also circulated for most of the race on his own, finishing just over four and a half seconds back from Lorenzo.
    Monster Yamaha Tech 3’s Pol Espargaro won an incredible battle for 5th that saw four riders all within 0.4s of each other. The Spaniard also finished as the leading Satellite rider 0.105s ahead of CWM LCR Honda’s Cal Crutchlow in sixth. Espargaro’s teammate Bradley Smith crossed the line in seventh in front of Repsol Honda’s Dani Pedrosa (+24.656s), who had fought back valiantly after a crash in Warm Up, and a disastrous start that saw him down in 12th after the first lap.
    The Team Suzuki Ecstar duo of Aleix Espargaro and Maverick Vińales were next across the line in ninth and tenth respectively, ahead of Octo Pramac Racing’s Danilo Petrucci (11th) and the second Factory Ducati of Andrea Dovizioso in twelfth.
    EG 0,0 Marc VDS’s Scott Redding finished 46.663s back from Rossi in 13th, while Loris Baz (Athina Forward Racing) took the Open class victory, and the final championship point that was up for grabs in 15th, just ahead of Aspar MotoGP Team’s Nicky Hayden who crossed the line in 16th.
    Hector Barbera and Jack Miller were involved in a crash on the very first lap that resulted in the former having to go to the medical centre for checks on his right leg, although he was later declared fit. Alex De Angelis, Eugene Laverty and Stefan Bradl also crashed out; with the latter finding out he had fractured the scaphoid in his right wrist after an X-ray at the Medical Centre.
    Rossi’s (163pts) victory, his 85th in the premier class, means he has extended his lead in the championship standings over Lorenzo (153pts) to 10 points with ten races to go.

Marquez: “I didn’t think he’d cut the corner”

A dramatic return to form for Marc Marquez at the Motul TT Assen where once again the infamous last chicane decided the race.
    It was a difficult start to the weekend for Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) who crashed on his out lap in FP1. But the Spaniard was able to recover and secure a front row start while running an older version of the Honda frame. This made Marquez more comfortable on the bike, allowing him to take more risks and push as he did in 2014.
    Marquez took a different approach to this race, deciding to be quiet during the start, waiting for his chance to overtake Valentino Rossi (Movistar Yamaha). The final chicane was a crucial part of Marquez’s plan and he spent many laps studying the line of Rossi through the corner. As in 2006 with Colin Edwards and Nicky Hayden, the final chicane decided the race in dramatic fashion with Marquez just losing out.
    Marc Marquez: “You can’t imagine what I feel, I’m really happy because we return to the top. We came back fighting for the win which is the most important. I’m happy because we usually struggle here. Most importantly though, I enjoyed the bike again. There’s still some areas to improve. I was quiet and calm during the race and studied Rossi a lot, learning when I could overtake him and attack. I made a mistake with three laps to go, but I made it back, The whole race I focused on studying the last chicane perfectly, I knew where to put the bike to limit his space but I didn’t think he’d cut the corner. In the end I feel we won the race, but five points don’t really matter for me.”
    “It’s important for me and the team to come back, especially in a track where we have struggled before. We enjoyed the track and the bike and with a lot to improve, especially at the end of the race. I took care of the tyres a lot and now we head to Germany. I learnt some motocross from Rossi today!”
    Valentino Rossi secures his third win of the season in a last lap battle with Marquez at the Motul TT Assen.

For the first time since Misano 2009 Movistar Yamaha’s Valentino Rossi won from pole position. The Assen circuit has always been kind to the Italian who took his 100th victory at the circuit in 2009, as the fast and flowing nature of the track suits Rossi and his Yamaha M1 machine.
    Able to lead for the majority of the race, it was on the last lap that Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) applied the most pressure to the veteran Italian. Years of experience racing at the top allowed Rossi to react perfectly to the situation, avoiding contact and keeping the throttle open as he raced across the gravel to avoid falling. Rossi leaves Assen with a ten point lead over his teammate Jorge Lorenzo in the championship.
    Valentino Rossi: “It’s important to capitalize when you’re strong in a championship as close as this. I think I did a good race from the start, starting from pole is a little easier than the third row! I pushed from the beginning and had a solid pace so I think overall my first lap was great. I had good speed and saw I could put some distance between Jorge and I. Unfortunately this pace wasn’t enough to get away from Marc. I tried to push at the limit but he came with me.”
    “I tried to push hard again towards the end and couldn’t shake Marc off, then I got a bit worried because I was really at the limit of myself and the bike. Marc overtook me and from behind I saw he was very fast, but I knew I could go a little faster. I did a very good penultimate lap with a good time. I saw I had a slight advantage but I couldn’t make the same time again. I hoped Marquez wouldn’t recover, but he did. I arrived in the last chicane on the limit, I entered and saw Marc’s bike try but it was too late. We touched so I had to cut the corner and I was lucky to control the bike on the gravel, it’s hard to know how deep the gravel is. I think it was a great battle as the last time we fought he won.
    Assen, Saturday, June 27, 2015
    Pos. Points Num. Rider Nation Team Bike Km/h Time/Gap
    1 25 46 ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 173.2 40'54.037
    2 20 93 SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 173.1 +1.242
    3 16 99 SPA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 172.2 +14.576
    4 13 29 ITA Ducati Team Ducati 171.8 +19.109
    5 11 44 SPA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 171.5 +24.268
    6 10 35 GBR CWM LCR Honda Honda 171.5 +24.373
    7 9 38 GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 171.5 +24.442
    8 8 26 SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 171.5 +24.656
    9 7 41 SPA Team SUZUKI ECSTAR Suzuki 171.3 +26.725
    10 6 25 SPA Team SUZUKI ECSTAR Suzuki 171.3 +27.238
    11 5 9 ITA Octo Pramac Racing Ducati 171.2 +29.038
    12 4 4 ITA Ducati Team Ducati 171.1 +29.418
    13 3 45 GBR EG 0,0 Marc VDS Honda 170.0 +46.663
    14 2 68 COL Octo Pramac Racing Ducati 169.8 +49.305
    15 1 76 FRA Athinŕ Forward Racing Yamaha Forward 169.6 +52.396
    16 69 USA Aspar MotoGP Team Honda 169.3 +56.005
    17 19 SPA Aprilia Racing Team Gresini Aprilia 169.1 +59.857
    18 63 FRA Avintia Racing Ducati 168.1 +1'14.513
    19 33 ITA Aprilia Racing Team Gresini Aprilia 165.8 1 Lap
    Not Classified
    15 RSM E-Motion IodaRacing Team ART 168.2 3 Laps
    50 IRL Aspar MotoGP Team Honda 169.2 11 Laps
    6 GER Athinŕ Forward Racing Yamaha Forward 168.7 21 Laps
    Not Finished 1st Lap
    8 SPA Avintia Racing Ducati 0 Lap
    43 AUS CWM LCR Honda Honda 0 Lap
    Weather Conditions:

| Track Condition: Dry| Air: 20ş| Humidity: 66%| Ground: 30şRecords:

Pole Lap: 1'32.627 176.5 Km/h
    Fastest Lap: Lap: 4 1'33.617 174.6 Km/h
    Circuit Record Lap: 2015 1'33.617 174.6 Km/h
    Best Lap: 2015 1'32.627 176.5 Km/h
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (28-06-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

To be honest, i thought there would be a penalty.
    I'm not sure how the rules work in a situation like what happened.... now i do.

Interesting what Kevin Magee and Chris Vermeulen had to say, great to hear it from a riders and previous racers point of view.

Marquez: “I didn’t think he’d cut the corner”

The whole race I focused on studying the last chicane perfectly, I knew where to put the bike to limit his space but I didn’t think he’d cut the corner. In the end I feel we won the race”
    Mmmmm i wonder if those that have been shunted off the track by MM's dive bombing tactics on previous occasions share the same sentiment?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 28-06-15 at 10:34 AM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

I always thought that Rossi was ahead & that MM shoved the bike in where it wouldn't fit, forcing Rossi off the track, lucky that Rossi is a good dirt tracker on a MotoGp bike.

here is was race direction had to say.

MotoGP Assen: Race Director talks Rossi, Marquez incident

27 June 2015 “The basis of the decision is primarily the helicopter shot that shows at every stage Valentino was ahead” – MotoGP race director Mike Webb

MotoGP Race Director Mike Webb has explained exactly why the last lap Assen clash between Valentino Rossi and Marc Marquez was deemed a racing incident.

The pair were battling for victory when reigning champion Marquez attempted to pass current title leader Rossi into the final chicane. Contact was made at the first apex of the right-left-right sequence, resulting in Rossi running off and cutting the rest of the corner before re-joining to win by 1.2s from Marquez.

Afterwards, the riders clearly held very different opinions about the incident.

Rossi said: "My view is that I am in front and Marc touched the middle of my bike. His touch pushed me outside the track".

Marquez said: "I studied perfectly the last chicane, how to put the bike in the correct place, but OK I didn't expect he would cut! In the end, what I feel is that we won the race."

Asked who would have won without the contact, Rossi commented “I was in front”, while Marquez responded “I was on the inside!”

In terms of Race Direction's judgement, the decisive factor seems to have been that Rossi was in front when the contact occurred.

“We've obviously reviewed the incident from all the camera angles we have. The decision is racing incident. No advantage was gained,” Webb told Crash.net. “The basis of that decision is primarily the helicopter shot that shows at every stage Valentino was ahead. So Valentino had the right to the line.

“So Valentino was ahead. He was not passed. As they reached the apex of the right-hand turn Marc touched Valentino, which made [Valentino] go wide. So that's a racing incident. It's unavoidable.

“The two balancing things are that it was a hard pass with contact and you are not allowed to push another rider off the line. But the end result was that they entered and exited that series of corners in the same position. No advantage gained. End of story.”
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member
    Thanks

Another view

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

At what point of time is that, just before or just after the contact?

Would be interesting to see the helicopter view he speaks of.

EDIT: Going for a horse ride know to enjoy the winter sun. Will have another look at the race when i get back this afternoon; with sober eyes.
    Last edited by Tiny; 28-06-15 at 11:23 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member
    Thanks

Exactly Tiny... MM was correct, he was in front at one moment, But that moment was after he used Rossi to hold himself upright and help with his rear brake sliding corner entry....
    Correction, you are right Tiny, after looking at the below, he was NEVER in front of Rossi.
    Reminded me of a V8 Supercar move.

Is it a legitimate move for the lead or something else?
    I guess its a racing incident, and then someone won

Helicopter View

Similar Footage

Another look from someone in the grandstand

But the winner of the weekend goes too

Last edited by ol' boy; 29-06-15 at 06:22 AM.

Tiny (28-06-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

If you are bored, here is the 1992 Assen TT (500cc)
    What i find amusing, is the commentator is exactly the same then as is now!

It is amazing watching this race and noticing where their head position is and the how tight in they keep their elbows.
    Not like todays body sprawl on the track technique
    Last edited by ol' boy; 28-06-15 at 01:37 PM.

Tiny (28-06-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Well well well, have a listen to Daryl Beattie on RPM this afternoon.
    Very careful about what he had to say.....

Whats that Daryl?, Rossi has a 10 point lead in the Championships... Rossi won the Assen MotoGP....
    He was very quick to change the subject, and start pissing in Casey Stoners pocket regarding the 8 Hour.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 28-06-15 at 06:07 PM.

Tiny (28-06-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

You're a legend.

Thanks for finding the helicopter footage OB.

Proves my point, Rossi was given no choice but to go gravel!!
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post

Proves my point, Rossi was given no choice but to go gravel!!
    You cant help but think, Rossi had a plan in his mind anyway

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Haha, that's a baited statement.

No racer wants to take a 200+ Hp bike, fitted with slicks, thru the gravel intentional.

Quote Rossi on the gravel.

We touched so I had to cut the corner and I was lucky to control the bike on the gravel, it’s hard to know how deep the gravel is. I think it was a great battle as the last time we fought he won.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member
    Thanks

He also said, i used the rules to my advantage
    When you look back at the Helicopter video between 6 and 8 second mark, it all looked rather convenient

But lets face it, it all happened so fast, and as you say, they both could have come off.
    For sure Rossi was expecting him, but probably not like that, and not that late.... It was a fairly deliberate and a little embarrassing for MM i think.
    The "look back" Rossi gave kinda said it all i thought.

A fantastic battle between 2 riders that give no quarter when it comes to winning
    Last edited by ol' boy; 28-06-15 at 07:41 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Found the following article, highly amusing, especially Rossi's comment.

Casey Stoner has lambasted the state of modern MotoGP in comparison with its "golden age" of 500cc two-stroke motorcycles and "real racing".

Stoner retired from racing at the end of the 2012 season at just 27 years of age, having notched up two world titles and 38 race wins in the premier class.
    Though there have been , most notably when former Repsol Honda teammate Dani Pedrosa took three races out following forearm surgery in April, Stoner’s latest comments appear to pour cold water over any such prospect.
    “If I went back to racing, it would be in the golden age of the 500s, with real racing and guys like Doohan, Rainey, Schwantz, Gardner and Lawson,” Stoner told French website Motorevue.com.
    “Back then it was a sport; today it's shit.”
    Stoner could still win, says Lorenzo

An appearance in the paddock by Stoner at the Catalan GP to demonstrate a Honda road bike earlier in the month prompted several leading MotoGP riders to offer their opinion as to whether he could still be competitive at the highest level.
    Jorge Lorenzo believes Stoner would be a winner if he ever decided to return to the championship, saying: "I never saw a better natural talent riding a bike.

"It was clearly a great show watching him ride a bike, especially in Phillip Island, and he has my respect.
    "If he came back some day he would be there winning and fighting for the win. I would receive him with open arms."

Valentino Rossi
    , on the other hand, was less convinced, jesting: “I think we already have enough [winning riders] in this championship!

“For sure I'm joking, but it's been quite a lot of time since Casey has raced and it doesn't make sense for him to come back," concluded the Italian.

Stoner will make a one-off return to racing action next month in the , joining Michael van der Mark and Takumi Takahashi aboard a Honda.

Source:
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (02-07-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Interesting article. It would have be amazing to have watched Stoner on a 500cc machine.
    I think, not that i know, but it seems, the MotoGP machines have made it easier for a lot of riders, to ride faster, hence, more guys at the pointy end.

I will always remember Stoner as the rider that beat Rossi, who was at the time, untouchable by anyone!
    That was a monumental feat by any rider, to knock a guy off who was at the top of his game, and Rossi was at the top of his game.
    For it to be an Australian rider that did it, made it even more special for us.

Gardner was great, Doohan was amazing (the slides) and he almost made 500cc boring he won that much... But Stoner toppling the unstoppable Rossi, was probably a bigger feat than Gardner or Doohan in some ways.

EDIT: BTW, Rossi winning the Assen race, was the first time Rossi has won a MotoGP from pole in 6 years!
    (ya hear that Beattie)
    Last edited by ol' boy; 02-07-15 at 12:36 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

German GP live MotoGP FP1 at 17.55EST
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (10-07-15),weirdo (10-07-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Awesome track, always some fun times on that downhill corner.

MM sure found out the hard way last year.

Last edited by ol' boy; 11-07-15 at 01:36 PM.

Tiny (13-07-15)

• Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast