Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remove RFID chip from Commbank Visa Card

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Does anyone know if Australia Post Load and Go or Woolworths prepaid credit cards have these annoying features ? If so, I might close my credit card with the Commonwealth and just use prepaid.
    I got one of these so I wouldn't have to use my Visa online and YES the Woolworths 'Prepaid' MasterCard has PayPass.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I just had a look, the reloadable ones have paypass (tap and go), the single load ones dont.
    Auspost unfortunately also have it.

Oh well, I will have to stick to my manual disablement methods seeing banks dont want to give you a choice. Police hate the amount of crime that paypass and visa wave have created.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

I bought a wallet similar to this:

works fine....

or:

Thanks

It may be of use to know that these cards when flexed like a deck of cards often enough come apart into 3 slices . The glue holding them is not that good in the mastercards issued by commonwealth bank . So if I wanted to see the insides I would warm them with maybe very hot water then flex them a bit then stick them in the freezer and see how they go . Don't flex them when they are brittle though hey!

Maybe work on one corner with a sharp knife blade knowing they will separate
    I use superglue to stick them back together
    Last edited by tytower; 28-02-15 at 10:39 PM.
    My Health , my Family and my Property are not Government business. Governments should do what they were designed to do . Govern the issues that are best done by a central body in the country to protect it from foreign invasion.State Governments and Local Councils should be abolished to stop the duplication and waste of funds.

To defeat corruption in the public service , give them three times the penalty. Have them agree on hiring.

Thanks

PayPass seems to have become newsworthy again. To disable the PayPass / RFID antenna punch a hole through the antenna (those lines that you can see running around the outside edge of the card when held up to the light - the led torch on your phone should be bright enough - shine light from behind the card). Use a bright red permanent marker to highlight the disabled antenna to muggers / thieves / burglars etc to show them the card is useless and not worth taking. See photo attached.
    Last edited by fixingthings; 24-11-15 at 12:40 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

I'm not so sure about being forced to use paywave as in the OP. I find it convenient, but generally I have to ask if it's available. Provided you don't let the card out of your sight, where's the problem?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I'm not so sure about being forced to use paywave as in the OP. I find it convenient, but generally I have to ask if it's available. Provided you don't let the card out of your sight, where's the problem?
    I've never had anyone in Sydney insist on it, they always ask which you want to use

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I don't think he means he is forced to use it by the merchant. Probably like my case where the bank forces me to have it active on my cards. They won't issue me with a card without it. The only way to deactivate it is to break it.

Thanks

Assuming the RFID and smart card chip are the same dye (and I don’t know that for sure),
    Find out the supply connections to the pads and apply a high voltage across them forward, and then reverse.
    An electronic cigarette lighter piezo ignition will probably also ruin it assuming you don’t have a Tesla coil handy.
    If you ruin the smart card it will of course end up only working in a magnetic reader.

Thanks

Ahh RFID. For anyone concerned as to how far away it can pick up, I offer the following anecdote:
    Part of my paid work is to intercept, identify and remove any interference to wireless networks. One such job indicated interference of a particular type that I'd only ever seen before at very low levels, but this one was interfering with hilltop installations some distance away, one was Google Earth'ed at 15.86km. The source? You guessed it, an RFID reader. I'm not suggesting that such a system will read your credit cards tucked away in your wallets at 15km away; these installations being interfered in this example with have large, very sensitive antennae and receivers. But when RFID installers incorrectly install them and turn up the wick to 2 watts output, it is perhaps not inconceivable that the cards can be read at a far greater distance than is intended or necessary. Or, similar tactics used intentionally to read your card without your knowledge, perhaps from a few metres away. Imagine if such a reader were hidden behind a wall where people are forced to walk single file...

And don't waste your money on those aluminium lined holders that are supposed to shield your cards. They are partially effective, but not by a lot. I believe they could actually be overall more dangerous - lulling the buyer into a false sense of security.

Disabling the antenna with a hole punch is a good idea. For a less obtrusive way, use a scalpel to discreetly dig through the antenna lines as they enter and leave the chip would also work. Due to the narrow cut a scalpel makes, two cuts must be made to negate any capacitive effect of such a narrow cut. (narrow cut = larger capacitance = less effective isolation of antenna - remember we're talking RF here, not DC)

Not knowing enough - anything really! - about the internal structure of the RFID die, it might possible to 'burn out' the RFID function without disabling the physical contact part of the die - so contactless payment is disabled, but insert card & enter PIN functionality is retained. By exposing the antenna to a large enough RF field, the front end of the RFID could overload to the point that it fails, and - depending on internal die structure - may leave the contact part of the card still functional & intact.
    The problem is to expose the RFID part to just enough field strength to burn that part out, without affecting the contact part of the chip. This will be a fairly delicate balancing act, as I imagine the RFID part that powers itself enough to enable an identity response to be transmitted back to the reader would also have to power the authentication module at the same time. I'm guessing there's only the one authentication module in the die, common to both the RFID part, and the contact part. We want enough RF field to be able to burn out the 'receiver' part of the RFID, without overloading the power supply to the authentication module.
    Zapping it in the microwave oven would definitely toast both! Even enclosing the card in some sort of lossy dielectric before zapping it in the microwave wouldn't be very repeatable due to the large variances in microwave ovens, positioning within the oven's cavity etc.
    All the above paragraph is just my conjecture. I wonder how forgiving the banks are to replacing burnt out 'experimented' cards?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 6502 View Post
    I wonder how forgiving the banks are to replacing burnt out 'experimented' cards?
    Very, no questions asked
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

are there multiple companies making these cards in oz ? each may have a different way to disable.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,534 Posts

What concerns me with my visa debit card is, if I misplace it, anyone can make purchases under $30 with no questions asked either by inserting the card into eftpos machine or paywave, Ive spoke to the credit union about this saying its not good, but they reply saying if you have any unauthorized transactions to contact them and they will look into it, what a joke

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    What concerns me with my visa debit card is, if I misplace it, anyone can make purchases under $30 with no questions asked either by inserting the card into eftpos machine or paywave, Ive spoke to the credit union about this saying its not good, but they reply saying if you have any unauthorized transactions to contact them and they will look into it, what a joke
    Yeah, same with the CBA Mastercard, except it's purchases under $100. I went to Dan Murphies yesterday and went to pay for 2 cartons on my Mastercard, but because I never normally use it for purchases, I have never known my pin number. No worries says checkout guy, just tap and pay.... no signature, no ID no nothin.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (25-11-15),OSIRUS (25-11-15),Rick (25-11-15)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

When Stupid misplaced the Card I went to the Bank (NAB) to report it missing, thats when I found out that didnt automatically 'Turn Off' the Pay Wave feature which meant the use of the Card would still withdraw money from the account, albeit I might have had it refunded (eventually) because I had reported it 'Lost'.
    I had the Bank close the Paywave feature but, when I got a replacement Card a few days later, it wouldnt work and it took over an hour for the Tellers to see that because the Paywave had been 'disabled', the new card would only read my balance but not allow any withdrawals or transactions.
    Based on that experience (Banks may differ) I am concluding that the 'Pay Wave' feature cannot be closed by itself without disabling the use of the Card.

My Son found the 'missing' Card and holder down between the seat and the centre console partly hidden by the loose floor mat.

The comment made by 6502 that placing the Card inside a metallic or foil lined enclosure wont prevent the Card being 'scanned' has me very curious as a Friend who microchips the Cats they bred, covered the microchip in foil and the scanner couldnt read it, he did the same with a microchipped Cat, first over the skin to read it then placed a piece of foil over the area and it couldn't read read it until the foil was removed so I thought the same principle with these Cards applied.

One thing I am doubtful of is the advertisement claiming a 'Jamming Card' placed with your Card emits a 'Jamming Signal' if a 'Reader' comes within its range.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 25-11-15 at 12:07 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12