Thread: HDTV 1080i

Thanks

Default HDTV 1080i

Can some one with more knowledge on the subject please tell me what my options are for HDTV (if any)

I have an older model plasma and did not think it would do 1080 until I read this on the website the input/outputs are

HDTV (Component) Supports: 480p,576p,720p,1080i

HDMI
    with HDCP x 1
    * compatiable with DVI, but needs HDMI to DVI connector
    Supports: 480p,576p,720p,1080i

AV/SV
    Composite (RCA jack) x 1
    S-Video x 1

Component YPbPr x 1
    PC D-Sub 15 pin RGB

currently I have it setup with a rca to a 3-way splitter?? and this has connected to it 1xSD STB, 1xDM500s, 1xDVD

I am wondering what the best way to receive a HD signal would be (again if it can be done) does this mean I could say buy a HD STB and use componet to connect the two to receive 1080i?? oe use HDMI??

I'd also lie to use the PIP function currently not avaliable as all the inputs are via the 3 way manual splitter (rca) so I guess in theory if I had something coming in on componet or hdmi I could then have PIP from 2 sources???

or do I have it completely ass backwards??

i guess what I am trying to say is can I get 1080i, if so what is the best way to do so (via componet or hdmi)???

Cheers
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

My question is, you are trying to get 1080i from what???

It would be of been much easier if you just added the brand and model of TV and we could look it up and tell you.

From the sounds though, your display seems to be 1080i, whether your TV has a HD tuner is another matter entirely.
    Thus if you need to use external HD sources to supply your display with a 1080i signal, both HDMI and Component will do that (as you mentioned above, one is analog, the other digital)
    Anything less than those connection and you will not have 1080i. Now in saying that, your source must be able to produce a 1080i signal.

You SD STB, DM500 and DVD player all don't (except if you have an upscalling DVD player that is)

So go and buy a good HD FTA STB with HDMI, a HDMI lead and away you go.
    As for the rest of you stuff, there really is no solution, as none of it is 1080i to begin with. All i can suggest is you buy Analog/Digital Upscalling receiver like the Yamaha, Sony or Denon and watch them that way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    My question is, you are trying to get 1080i from what???

It would be of been much easier if you just added the brand and model of TV and we could look it up and tell you.

From the sounds though, your display seems to be 1080i, whether your TV has a HD tuner is another matter entirely.
    Thus if you need to use external HD sources to supply your display with a 1080i signal, both HDMI and Component will do that (as you mentioned above, one is analog, the other digital)
    Anything less than those connection and you will not have 1080i. Now in saying that, your source must be able to produce a 1080i signal.

You SD STB, DM500 and DVD player all don't (except if you have an upscalling DVD player that is)

So go and buy a good HD FTA STB with HDMI, a HDMI lead and away you go.
    As for the rest of you stuff, there really is no solution, as none of it is 1080i to begin with. All i can suggest is you buy Analog/Digital Upscalling receiver like the Yamaha, Sony or Denon and watch them that way.
    yeah sorry was not clear, i should have stated that I realise I will not get 1080 with the gear I have, and was just asking weather by these specs it will do 1080i, as far as the plasma is concerned it only has a analogue tuner, i purchased a yum char STB from coles and when I tried to get HD channels it says no channel avaliable... aka no signal so it must be a SD STB typically no info for a $49 STB indicated on the box what kind SD/HD etc etc

i will go and purcahse a HD STB with HDMI, what confused me was the specs kinda/sorta say that componet blah blah blah 1080i then HDMI has to have some kind of adapter????

to be honest I only want a cheap HD STB really as thinking about Olympics now if it helps I'll get the model number but from memory the specs I posted above was really the only thing about it...
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Premium Member
    Thanks

It was pretty obvious you were chasing the Olympics mate, just like the other 2 million new threads on HD that have popped up lately.

After reading your 2 posts, all i can say is do some home work Do you even know if Digital is available in your area?
    Personally i have never seen a good HD STB, they were always crap things that got too hot etc, perhaps they have improved.
    So as for buying a cheap one.... do so at your own risk.
    The old saying "Buy Cheap, Buy Twice" i have seen it happen dozens of times

Then again, you seem happy to buy cheap, so try this (cheers AussieM8 for the find)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    It was pretty obvious you were chasing the Olympics mate, just like the other 2 million new threads on HD that have popped up lately.

After reading your 2 posts, all i can say is do some home work Do you even know if Digital is available in your area?
    Personally i have never seen a good HD STB, they were always crap things that got too hot etc, perhaps they have improved.
    So as for buying a cheap one.... do so at your own risk.
    The old saying "Buy Cheap, Buy Twice" i have seen it happen dozens of times

Then again, you seem happy to buy cheap, so try this (cheers AussieM8 for the find)
    cheers for the wise words....

Yeah digital is aval, my brother bought a LCD 2 days ago, with inbuiilt HDTV tuner and to be honest I was a little envious of the quality of picture even at SD (576/720) it was nice (I prefer plasma myself) and it kicked off the obsesssion to recive Channel 7 HDTV, to be perfectly honest I only bought the cheap yum char as I watch little to no FTA anymore and I would think after olympics it will drop back to same amount again so not sure I really see the point in spending too much cash on something that will have no use after 2 weeks even if I paid $100 for a HD STB and it blew up after the games, I'd be happy

again thanks for your help.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Well good luck then..... You could even sell the unit on here when ur done

Thanks

theres a difference between support the resolution and being able to run at that resultion...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by urban_s0ulja View Post
    theres a difference between support the resolution and being able to run at that resultion...
    is that referred too as up scaling???? what would support imply as i don't quite understand either it does or it does'nt? never haven seen up scaling (whatever its called) what happens???

as I am going to buy a HD STB today so i better get it right

Thanks

upscaling / downscaling

whats the resolution / model number of the panel?