Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A new Hobby for the Black man

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Default A new Hobby for the Black man

Yes after 15 years away from flying radio control planes I've picked up the Hobby again with todays Technology of EDF Jets. So far I have a F15 and recently I finished a F35 Thrust Vectoring unit but found it to be under powered so I decided to spend more money (Cheap today man) at HobbyKing and bought myself a replacement Dr Mad Alloy EDF Unit that spins a max of 62,000 RPM. WoW these new EDF Jets have got some guts in them and I can't wait until I get my new Dr Mad Alloy donk (Coming from the US as Australian Hobby King does not have them with its matching ESC and the LED Afterburners to put on it). Both my planes are 1150MM Long and they look impressive.
    I first purchased this one.
    and after flying it and crashing once (mildly) using their POXY supplied original radio in mode 1 I reverted back to mode 2 (They have mode 4 too) which I have used all my life compliments of a new purchased Spektrum DX8 where I can program all my toys cars included on one Transmitter. The DX8 has a good safety feature in the radio that will only talk to the incorrect toy or wrongly selected model so you fly the plane with different mixings. All is displayed displayed on the LCD screen. The DX8 can handle I think 20 or 25 models.

My second plane was the F35 but Like I said its underpowered using a outrunner B2839 but after talking the yank experts they recommended me to buy this one that has got some grunt

I've also purchased the ESC (electronic Speed Control) for it Plus I have a upgraded 3000MAH Lipo Battery
    The F35 took me 6 times the amount of time to build than the F15 as its fiddly and it has 10 servo's and the thrust vertoring and Radio mixing is slightly complicated.
    Will post some pics when I get the new motor and pics of how to fit the afterburner in it. THE ESC is rated at 80Amps, this motor can pull 80 amps out of the battery for a few seconds
    Yes Besides Sat TV, TV's and my 100 inch TV/ movie room, Full size Cars, Computers, and now RC Planes I think I have enough hobbies to keep me happy.

This is the pic of the Freewing F35
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 20-02-15 at 05:25 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

allover (21-02-15),LeroyPatrol (21-02-15),mandc (20-02-15),Uncle Fester (21-02-15)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

my rc car runs a 4000mah lipo with esc & you cant keep the front wheels on the ground
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

cobra679 (22-02-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

I find it hard to beat the Habu 180.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Thanks

Nice work. Wouldn't mind getting into rc planes but being limited to when and where to use them is a turn off.

For now I will stick with the HPI Bullet 3.0 stadium truck. At least I can drive it anytime as long as I could be bothered tuning it correctly.
    Last edited by viper5150; 20-02-15 at 08:24 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

What sort of range would your transmitter need to keep control of the thing? Considering the potential speed of these beasties they'd be out of range in a few seconds!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viper5150 View Post
    Nice work. Wouldn't mind getting into rc planes but being limited to when and where to use them is a turn off.

For now I will stick with the HPI Bullet 3.0 stadium truck. At least I can drive it anytime as long as I could be bothered tuning it correctly.
    them nitro's are a lot of work
    thats why i went back to battery
    i crash the shit outa it anyway

Thanks

I know what you mean. The newer slide carbs are a lot easier to tune and are are more stable. But damn does it move when you get the tuning right.

I have seen a video of a HPI "flux" brushless truck doing a standing back flip

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    my rc car runs a 4000mah lipo with esc & you cant keep the front wheels on the ground
    Outrunners today have massive torque. I cannot believe in technology what has changed in the last 10 years. You can even buy Inrunners with water jackets to cool a hot motor for a boat

Thanks

I have a reserve about 10 K's away that is perfect for flying planes and the best part about it is very few people ever go to it.

Thanks

I know what you mean. The newer slide carbs are a lot easier to tune and are are more stable. But damn does it move when you get the tuning right.

I have seen a video of a HPI "flux" brushless truck doing a standing back flip
    thats mine, hpi e-firestorm flux
    got it for 200$ 2nd hand

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    What sort of range would your transmitter need to keep control of the thing? Considering the potential speed of these beasties they'd be out of range in a few seconds!
    The Spectrum series of radio's are fairly priced but its the receivers that they screw you on "example a 8 channel receiver the AR8000 will cost you $160 for something smaller (more planes more receivers you need)than a box of matches and weights only a few grams. but lucky the Chinese have caught onto this racket and sell there own on ebay for an eighth of the price and they are very very good. The range of these NEW DSMX and DSMX2 receivers go up to 2 Km from the transmitters but again its the receiver if you buy them separate is where they screw you as I need three of them and that adds up to serious money.
    The Chinese clones.

For $34. Now thats a big difference from $160 +
    Also HobbyKing sell a 8 channel ORANGE Brand for about the same $$$.
    I try to fly the F35 as slow as possible to see the thing but the plane is 1150MM long and wingspan is only around 850MM so by these specs you can see that its like flying a house brick.
    I have two batteries and each Battery last me 5 minutes ONLY and after that I park it and go home as after I land it I'm a bundle of nerves. Its lucky as to where I fly it as very few ever go there but because the Batteries don't last long or I bring the plane back before my Spectrum starts VIBRATING, yes Vibrating to indicate the time is up or getting close to it or I'm a bundle of nerves and by the time two batteries are dead and people spot me and think they can pay me a visit and STAND IN FRONT OF ME (including stupid kids) I'm gone.
    Trust me you get plenty of laps in 5 minutes and before anyone comes I'm home.
    I have not set up full the Telemetry yet but I'm getting there. Just read this link on what these new DX7, DX7s and DX8' are capable of

Mate the toys we have today, the only trouble is I'm getting to Old for this shit and need a Valium after I get home.
    I was going to buy and still might a 1.6 M long Airbus A 380, Yeah a full replica of this massive Jet with four engines for under $500 but the big but is you have buy the 4 EDF units, 4 ESC's and about 8 servo's + other. Yep once you have a GOOD Radio and you buy a hand full of cheap ebay receivers this hobby becomes a lot cheaper as thes marvelous radios allow you to add another model to your collection in the radio.
    by the way all data for all planes is backed up on a SD card.
    The Airbus 380 I think is Available at Extreme Hobbies Brisbane. A master piece to put together and you need ceiling space to hang them when finished. (i'll see if I can find it later on.)
    Its funny you know Glo plug engine, fuel engine are just about finished Electric has taken over. The owner of a toy shop in North Brisbane took me out the back to a collection of Drag Cars Top fuellers and Funny cars all EDF.
    If you have time have a Peak at HobbyKing US but when you are on there main page up the top left stick your mouse over The WAREHOUSE and it gives you the Option of selecting the Australian WAREHOUSE. Just see whats available out here its mind boggling.
    PS If you look at most things on both warehouses longer than 30 seconds a notification comes up and you get an added discount if you are a GUEST!! Yeah I buy everything as a Guest to get the discounts and then I log on. Its a game they play
    but otherwise they are 100% to deal with.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    thats mine, hpi e-firestorm flux
    got it for 200$ 2nd hand
    The guys at our local toy shop have told me the new fuel motors are a lot easier to tune but the part I hated was cleaning the model up after finishing. I still today have Fuel Silverfox Buggy and a F1 4WD inboard disc brakes and its a master piece of engineering. Yes this Formula One has a two auto speed gearbox. The Model was made by Serpent and spare parts have long long been gone.

Thanks

Have a look at what you can buy for under 500 bucks. Again if you have your Transmitter and a collection of cheap ebay 8 channel receivers you can get out of this a lot cheaper. Its not like the old days that when you had 8 planes you needed a good colection of radio's.
    Have a look at the Video of this SU-35. This Su-35 has twin rudder control with its duel thrust vectoring. My F35 has only one Thrust vectoring and NO RUDDER as the steering is mainly done by the thrust vectoring, ailerons, and elevators. The F 35 is a great toy and I've seen it on ebay for a lot less $$ .
    My F35 has two servo's (Aux1 and Aux2 Mixed with the rest) for the Thrust Vectoring so I would expect the SU-35 to have 4 servo's. The SU-35 is a monster at a length of 1630MM long
    Our local Hobby Shop

If look closely at the twin EDF 70MM one of the motors is counter clockwise rotation. Reason most other twin engine EDF the motors rotate in the same direction causing problems in the behavior of the plane. Have two motors where one is counter clockwise eliminates the torque screwing with the plane. These motors are available as pairs at most high end hobby shops
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 21-02-15 at 02:09 PM.

Thanks

The Airbus 380

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Mr 672A, very impressive video in that link:

Would have liked to see the 380 but no links show up for me.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

I love all of the flying RC options, drones, flying wings, scale jets but would love a scale warbird

this always makes me cry.......all the hard work building this beautiful plane

f
    Last edited by freakee1; 21-02-15 at 03:51 PM.
    有段者

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (21-02-15),Tiny (21-02-15)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

After reading these postings I look back at a Helicopter made of Balsa and powered by 2 JETEX solid fuel 'canisters' on the tip of each blade.
    You put the pellet into the snap together container, with a piece of gauze wire mesh in front of that and a coated 'wire' fuse which you lit as close together as you could and hoped they both began to spit flame and acrid smoke together to spin the blades and 'Take Off'.........

I dont think too many will be surprised if I say neither of the requirements needed to get this Helicopter airborne were too often successful and it more often as not was a bloody disaster.
    There was another toy, a racing car also fired by this 'JETEX' rocket and you could either let it run 'free' or used a tether and let it run around in circles before the fuel pellet ran out.
    This was pre 1954 and today I have never worked out why I was given this for either a Birthday or most like a Xmas present as it is in reality a bloody dangerous toy along the same lines as those Metho fired Mammod Traction Engines and and a saddle tank steam Locomotive.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Mr 672A, very impressive video in that link:

Would have liked to see the 380 but no links show up for me.
    When you look at the link for the SU-35 and all its photo's and video the Airbus 380 had exactly the same and they were some great shots but for some reason they removed them in the last week or so. What a pity.

Thanks

This is the one I like. They just get bigger and bigger. At the end of this video the young guy flying the plane looks like the way I felt after landing my first plane, Help where is my chill pills!!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    The guys at our local toy shop have told me the new fuel motors are a lot easier to tune but the part I hated was cleaning the model up after finishing. I still today have Fuel Silverfox Buggy and a F1 4WD inboard disc brakes and its a master piece of engineering. Yes this Formula One has a two auto speed gearbox. The Model was made by Serpent and spare parts have long long been gone.
    Yeah, me too.

I found that the worst part of fueled RC.

I'm now all electric.
    Last edited by Tiny; 21-02-15 at 06:34 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast