Thread: Help with "D-LINK" wireless modem.

Thanks

Default Help with "D-LINK" wireless modem.

Hi all, I have a surplus wireless modem (D-Link model DWR-113), can this be used to create a wireless link to my HF radio?
    I don't want any connection to the internet.

The HF radio has a CI-V remote control jack and I was wondering if the radio was connected to the wireless modem via a suitable CAT interface (hard wired) could my laptop (Macbook) communicate wirelessly to the radio via the modem?

I would have a special radio control program on the laptop, somehow the program commands would need to be transmitted via the laptops WiFi to the modem.

Can the wireless modem be used in this way?

Regards
    Rob

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I don't know anything about HF gear, but, in theory if the radio is capable of talking to the network, then yes. Can you post the make and model of the HF unit and one of our radio experts may be able to advise.

Thanks

Default HF radio

Hi, thanks for your help.

The HF radio is an Icom IC-7000 (amateur radio).
    The radio is mounted in my Landcruiser and I thought it would be more comfortable operating from inside the caravan, especially on hot days with the air conditioner!!!
    The distance would be 10 to 15m max.

I thought I might use an interface like this one……an FTDI Com cable from this guy,…. .
    I imagine it would connect the radio to the modem's USB port, which would be mounted in the vehicle, then connect to it via the MacBook wifi.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Regards
    Rob
    VK4AAC

Thanks

Hi Rob,

Not that easy... Not impossible though.

Firstly the IC-7000 is using serial communications and the WiFi modem is a different technology. Although the Modem may have a USB port, it's not the same as what is on your computer. Normally these USB ports are only for printers and newer ones for USB Memory sticks which allow access via file serving software within the modem.

To make your dream come true, you would need to transfer both the audio and the data for radio control over some form of wireless link. This could be either WiFi with the appropriate hardware interface or another form of wireless communications.

A easier solution would be a longer remote mounting cable so you can take the head back with you, or another radio for the caravan...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

After reading the Icom IC-7000 and D-Link DWR-113 manuals and visiting the site you mentioned, I can see that it might work. Ultimately, there is only one way to find out - try it.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Incidentally, this post would have been more appropriately placed in the Communications Devices section of the forum, where comms-type and amateur members will be more likely to see it. (I fit both of those categories but unfortunately have no knowledge of the IC-7000 and DWR-113 other than what I have have read).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    After reading the Icom IC-7000 and D-Link DWR-113 manuals and visiting the site you mentioned, I can see that it might work. Ultimately, there is only one way to find out - try it.
    No offence, but how is it going to work with the example provided? As I mentioned earlier, what about the audio... And yes, whilst the DWR-113 does have a USB it does NOT provide the function required - it would be like expecting a USB keyboard to function wirelessly if it was plugged in, never going to happen easily.

Premium Member

Thanks

No offence taken, Gitch. Your post #4 was not evident when I commenced my reply and you have obviously given the topic more thought than I had at that stage.

And yes, a PC of some sort (or other suitable device) will be needed in the vehicle to interface between the D-Link device and the transceiver in order to provide audio and control.

Perhaps forget using the DWR-112 and consider using instead something like a suitably configured Raspberry PI (with audio and WiFi), as they can be obtained quite economically from a variety of sources.

It would be helpful if the OP provides details of what computer software he is considering using for control purposes.
    Last edited by tristen; 24-02-15 at 10:24 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

Gitch (24-02-15)

Thanks

Hi guy's, sounds like it maybe too hard using the wireless modem and then there is the problem of audio and microphone.

I have another idea, I have an Apple iPad, I think I might be able to connect it to the HF radio via a suitable CAT interface and then communicate with it using my MacBook Pro laptop.
    Can the iPad and Laptop communicate wirelessly without internet connection, using wifi?

Could this possibly work?

Cheers
    Rob
    VK4AAC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dorisrob View Post
    I have another idea, I have an Apple iPad, I think I might be able to connect it to the HF radio via a suitable CAT interface and then communicate with it using my MacBook Pro laptop.
    Can the iPad and Laptop communicate wirelessly without internet connection, using wifi?

Could this possibly work?
    Possibly work - yes... Difficulty level - I'm going to say extremely.

How do you propose to connect the mic, speaker and CI/V connections to the iPad?? Then there is the software side of things - I haven't looked but due to the inherent nature of Apple products, I highly doubt you will find software for the iPad to achieve what you want.

The iPad and laptop will communicate using wifi with no internet connection, but unless you have a specific application, you will only be sharing iTunes media...

As a side question - have you seen a particular setup or anything?? I know Icom offer RS-BA1 software, but it is aimed at the higher end radio such as the IC-7700, IC-7800 etc that have an ethernet port built in. Otherwise, the only other software I have seen offers only remote control (as in frequency, band, etc control) using the CI/V interface - not audio.

Premium Member

Thanks

There is a useful document at describing remote control of an IC-7000 transceiver over a network.

It also appears to incorporate an audio link for tx and rx via the same software (see below).

The obvious disadvantage in the light of your comments regarding the possession of a Mac-based tablet and Notebook, is that the IC7000BKT and BKTserver programs require the use of two Windows-based machines.

Edit...

As Gitch has suggested, the RS-BA1 software can be used also.

There is an extensive thread in the Communication Devices section of the forum regarding the Icom RS-BA1 software. See - all links are still active.

Setup for RS-BA1 is similar to that for the BKT software and is illustrated in the diagram reproduced below.

Ham Radio Deluxe is another program to consider, although I do not know if it supports the IC-7000.

Similar programs have been written for Macintosh computers, e.g. .

Youtube has a few video presentations regarding use of the IC-7000 via remote control. Here are links to two.

Use Google to do some of your own research. It's not too difficult.

By the way, this might be painfully obvious, but have you taken into account the current drain on your vehicle's battery and the possibility of draining it to the point that you cannot start the vehicle after an extended radio chinwag? One of my amateur friends fitted two batteries to his vehicle in order to accommodate for this.
    Last edited by tristen; 02-03-15 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Additional material.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

Gitch (02-03-15)

Thanks

Nice find"s" Tristian!! I didn't even know you could do that with the RS-BA1 S/W, I will have to revisit it again. Probably should get a licence again too...

I assume the OP would be operating from powered camping sites as he mentioned using air-conditioning. That aside - Power considerations for the radio, now two PC's (or laptops) and networking equipment would need to be an important consideration.

Premium Member

Thanks

dorisrob,

Any news regarding progress in your endeavour?

Please keep us informed.