Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Watch, available April 24, 2015

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

Default Apple Watch, available April 24, 2015

From April 10, you can pre-order the Apple watch.

To install apps on the watch, you need an iPhone. There you make a number of settings, for example, which alerts you want to see on the watch: News, weather, sports scores, schedules. Also you can install Apple pay on the watch. Very interesting, Phone calls can be accepted with the clock.

Reportedly the watch's battery hangs up to 18 hours.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

Rick (10-03-15)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Yawn
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

miles too much for what they are
    有段者

Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,534 Posts

Dont know whats to yawn about?
    Certainly an interesting device, but $13000 for a high end model is a joke, I do recon the lower end models are fairly priced, I think regardless of pricing they will be in high demand, I dont know how bulky they would be tho, I will never know as ive never warn a watch and dont plan to

Premium Member
    Thanks

Been in the news for a while
    Typical Apple, build it, then convince people they need it.

Fitbit meets an iPhone.... But i'm sure the younger generation will be all over it.
    They can compare how many steps they did for the day or how many stairs they climbed.

Think i'll wait for the Apple Shoe.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 10-03-15 at 01:38 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

It would have to bomb you would think.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (10-03-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yep, for the passed 15 years, people have been learning not to wear a watch, now Apple wants people to wear one again.
    I guess there was a hole in the market

I can't see it flying, its just another Google Glass.

Its gonna play havoc with the current "Use of a Mobile Device" laws whilst driving.... When is a watch, not a watch, when its gone fruity.

Oh and won't texting on one be great with our big Aussie fingers
    Someone at Apple has been watching far too much Dick Tracey
    Last edited by ol' boy; 10-03-15 at 02:45 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

The top model is $17,000 and they update them yearly.....hahaha...$17000 for something that will be out of date in 12 months.

Add to that the new macbook that only has one usb port to charge it, attach USB devices, have HDMI out, ethernet, card reader etc...they're dreamin'...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Oh dear, someone is not that interested.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

I love how Apple calls it their "Invention" (again).
    It is a little over 6 months ago since I bought a cheap Chinese watch that can do a lot of what this unbelievable great Apple innovation now does.
    I use it when I ride my bike (shows my performance) and the wife and kids can call me without having to lug around a 5.5" Chinese phone that could slip out of the pocket of my sport pants and easy to read the time too, all without having to take the both hands of the handle bar.
    The battery even lasts up to 5 days.
    I think it is bloody brilliant for 50 bucks, but texting on it is really a challenge.

I wonder what this Apple thing will cost after the special charges for Australia are applied. $700 my first guess.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mandc View Post
    Add to that the new macbook that only has one usb port to charge it, attach USB devices, have HDMI out, ethernet, card reader etc...they're dreamin'...
    USB port, good heavens NO!
    You are supposed to do everything in the iCloud. External hardware and wires are so old skool... eew.

Seriously, every time I asked a female what they do with their laptop or what smart phone apps they like, they all answered "Only Facebook" and continued tipping and tapping.

So I have concluded that in essence nothing has really changed since the late 19th century. Even with all the features, a smartphone is still just mainly used for communication, only the verbal communication looks like it is becoming obsolete.

Perhaps the tapping will eventually just decay to a basic code like this:
    1 tap: wuzzup
    2 taps: OK
    3 taps: cool
    4 taps: fvck

...especially if you want to communicate non-verbally with one of these watches
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Banned

Thanks

As seen on Twitter - was subtitled with "Life comes at you fast"

BTW: I hope there will be an "I’m rich" app for my Apple Watch. How else will people know I bought the expensive one?

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (12-03-15),Tiny (11-03-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 389 Posts

How to choose

and maybe why you shouldn't

Last edited by Bibliophile; 11-03-15 at 08:45 AM.
    For most of my life, I lived a delusion

Premium Member
    Thanks

I think the ironic thing about the Apple iWatch, is they are shouting loud and proud that they "Apple" are concerned about peoples health and well-fair.
    Yet, who makes this products again??? Are yes, people that work 16 hours a day for a $1.50.
    Nice one Apple, maybe the first people that should be wearing your new watch, and the workers that make them
    Then you can log in "Live Timing" what each worker is doing, where they are, what they eat.... Then, there will be no hiding the slave labour your sub-contracting companies use.

Just more personal information collection about our daily life's.
    I guess Apple had to one up Google in the race for every spec of personal meta data they can harvest.

Watching the Apple CEO speak on stage is fooking hilarious, i seriously believe he thinks he is some kind of God, handing a gift to his decibels, something they must have.
    And like all religions, its come with with a hefty donation to his church

iPhone, up an up in screen size
    iPad, down and down in screen size
    Shit, the smallest iPad is almost the size the size of the biggest iPhone.... arghhhhh, we have run out of Consumer Selling Options Boss!!!!
    It's ok boys, sell them a watch with the smallest screen yet and call it a Human Connection Device, tell them it will log their medical vitals so at the next Doctors Visit, it will already be uploaded into their medical history file.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 11-03-15 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    BTW: I hope there will be an "I’m rich" app for my Apple Watch. How else will people know I bought the expensive one?

Thanks

Why would I want to go back to wearing a watch? I always have a smart phone in my pocket and it does a lot more than an over-priced Apple watch.

Does it really need to be charged every 18 hours? Are they for real? They do realise that some of us occasionally work some very long days and don't have time to faff around charging bling tech jewellery (no doubt requring an over-priced, special charging cable).

This has the usual Apple bleeding edge, first release feel about it. Wait until this time next year and a new / better Apple watch will come out. It will be the watch that this one should have been. It always seems to take Apple two goes to get a new product right. Microsoft get it right with the third release.

Premium Member
    Thanks

How many are going to end up in the dishwashing water, in the rain, oops i went swimming and forgot, drenched at the Car Wash, beer split on them...
    Not to mention the text from the "Other Girl" that comes in right in the middle of shagging your missus.

Thanks

I am thinking sweat will be a big issue here as it has the ability be used as a fitness monitoring device but it is not hermetically sealed.

I have had a few broken water resistant mechanical watches that were damaged from sweat accumulation after they were used by joggers.
    Electrical circuits don't fair too well with salty liquids either.

Banned

Thanks

Apple provided yesterday an overview about the apps already available for the Apple watch:

And probably it will daily become more, because Apple's WatchKit gives developers all the tools they need to create experiences designed specifically for Apple Watch.

Reportedly also two .

FYI:

A simulator of the Apple Watch exists. The simulator (by Pipes) can be found here:

19 apps can be pre-viewed.

Note in a great rush, the page loads very slowly or not at all. The demo finally appears, it worked with me but smoothly.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

shred (12-03-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Why would I want to go back to wearing a watch? I always have a smart phone in my pocket and it does a lot more than an over-priced Apple watch.
    You actually need the smart phone to be in range of the watch to use it as well

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast