Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your first Flat Screen TV worth now?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default What's your first Flat Screen TV worth now?

I am amazed, that the first flatscreen i ever bought, is still my daily driver, its still 1080p, its on everyday, its never failed, broken or stopped, but i know its worth diddly squat in todays market... Yet, it does everything i want in a new TV, unless i buy a 4K TV.

My first:
    Sony Bravia KDL-46X3100

Purchased in 2007 for $3350
    Todays value, $400 - $500 i guess??

Hard to believe its been going solidly for 8 years!
    Still looks amazing with HD content.
    I will say, even at Todays value of $400 to $500, the picture quality is miles better than a 2014/2015 ALDI Bauhn 50" TV for the same price!
    I had a ALDI Bauhn for a few weeks and compared them side by side, in fact, they didn't even need to be side by side to tell how horrible the ALDI TV was at detail.

EDIT: Just to add, i bought a Samsung Series 6 50" last year for $700 (second hand), I prefer the prefer the picture quality of the Sony over the Samsung.
    Samsung is nice, bright, but too much artificial work on screen for my liking (i am being very picky at this point though), Sammy is still a wonderful picture.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 13-03-15 at 10:27 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 389 Posts

42 Inch Eurolab Full HD LED LCD purchased on-line from Deals Direct five years ago for $599.
    My only peeve is, because they use corner lighting instead of edge lighting, on really dark scenes you get a searchlight effect.

Helped a mate look for a new set a couple of weeks ago and we couldn't go past the 36 Inch Sony Bravia (he's got a small viewing area) for $598 at Harvey Norman.
    Stunningly clear image and he can now read subtitles without glasses.
    For most of my life, I lived a delusion

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

My 42" Panasonic Plasma is approaching 10yrs. Still not a bad picture and was around $2200. My 46" Samdung is approx 6yrs was a kick back and $4500 rec retail at the time and that's still my daily driver. It's ok. Would like a 55" but hard to justify updating when something is working ok.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Would like a 55" but hard to justify updating when something is working ok.
    Thats exactly right Leroy! I look at my Sony and think, where will i put it if i buy a new TV, the Sony is way too good for the workshop, and what bedroom needs a 46" TV! Oops, i have the 50" Sammy in my bedroom And as you say, they are working perfectly.

I have a couple of clients around here, that paid $22,000 for one of the first Panasonic Plasma TV's.
    They still have them, in a spare room or something, they just cant bring themselves to throw them away, bahahahah!
    No Full HD, Analogue only tuner and weigh as much as a 4 burner BBQ with a full esky on top!
    Last edited by ol' boy; 13-03-15 at 11:02 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

A Pyrod 40 inch bought from Kmart for $1600 reduced from $2100 and 6 months after purchase it was down to around a $1000.
    It was an analog only tuner which wasnt a problem when Digital began as I used a STB but unfortunately it began to have problems switching between the AV inputs via the remote.
    Although the set was fitted with external buttons to control its operation, they never worked so when the switching problem really became a problem, it was cheaper to replace than repair if I could have found anyone who could or would fix the problem.
    I now have a 50 inch Aldi bought 3 years ago for $599 that got zapped during an electrical storm and fixed under warranty.

I still have it packed away but I was only thinking the other day its about time it went.
    Resale value would be Nil and from what I have seen there is no scrap value either based on the unstripped flatscreens at the local tip.
    We have a couple of dedicated scavengers who will reclaim anything of value but when they dont bother with those dumped Flatscreens tells me have no value.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 13-03-15 at 10:38 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

My first is a Philips 32" Model 32PF5520D

paid about $2K for it in 2006, still works excellently as spare TV.

Picture quality is excellent. Not as good as my Sony 46" though. (Everyone that comes here to watch motor sport in HD or my HD home movies, comment that the picture is so good it's like being there.)

Price now; probably couldn't give it away.
    Last edited by Tiny; 14-03-15 at 08:28 AM. Reason: senior moment
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 836 Posts

Telefunken 32" 2004 model with analogue tuner. Today it is wall mounted out the back under the patio with a $25 dick smith digital box.
    It was well over $2000 and target had a one day special or something like that which brought it down to $1599. I put it on layby and paid $100 a week off. When I finally got to take it home I was the envy of all my mates for some time. Back then we called it the big screen .
    It has one hdmi input as well as every other input under the sun. Runs as well as the day I got it, never needed repair. I won't see another tv with this longevity in my lifetime I think.

Value is priceless, I know that's a cop out but maybe in another 10 years it will be worth some $ who knows. If I put anything else on the wall it won't last half as long.
    Last edited by mkhannah; 13-03-15 at 04:21 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (13-03-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

42" Fujitsu plasma monitor with attached speaker boxes on each side... SD....no tuner at all. $5000 around 2003. Beautiful picture.
    Todays value =$0

Sold it for $100 a few years ago still going strong
    Last edited by mandc; 13-03-15 at 09:15 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (13-03-15),ol' boy (13-03-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

geez, I feel like such a tightarse admitting the following
    bought a Sanyo PDP 42 from BigW in 2008
    most embarrasing thing I ever done
    the catalogue was out a few days beforehand showing it was on special for $595
    my brother wanted one too so we got there before they opened up and there was only one guy there before us
    soon the crowd swelled to at least 50 people
    there was no queue as such
    you could see about 6 boxes in the front area on display just behind the steel roller curtain and another larger pile in one of the isles
    bro and I decided we'd go and run for the isle as most would go for the closest ones in display at the front
    the roller curtain went up and the poor employee nearly got flattened by the crowd rush
    bro and I both ended up with a box but some other were not so fortunate
    then the screaming and tugging started
    some bitch was yelling "mine, mine .... I had it first"
    I felt sorry for the staff to have to endure crap like that
    apparently some shops adapt a better system now where one of the employees goes out the front of the shop before opening time and hands out tickets for any particular item on special
    once the tickets run out, he notifies any newcomers that they are sold out
    at least that will avoid embarrassing tug of wars and screaming matches in the shop
    back to the tv
    both my brothers and mine are still going strong and even though it's only a SD plasma it still lives in the bedroom as a second tv in the house

• The Following User Says Thank You to weirdo For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (13-03-15)

Thanks

I didn't mention the JVC 42" with no tuner.....hmmm maybe it has an annadog but can't remember. Anyway it has all annadog inputs, component and compost. The picture is very shite but it's still running strong with a STB. I put it in the garage lol

........Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    bought a Sanyo PDP 42 from BigW in 2008
    I bought mine the same time as you weirdo from Kmart, funny story is I had actually bought the smaller model, and I had to go around to the back of the store to pick it up, to my surprise when I got home the warehouse guy that loaded into my van had actually put the wrong tv in he had given me the bigger model by mistake so got it for $450 LOL, I didnt go back to Kmart for quiet a few months, the 42 inch has been a very reliable unit, the only gripe I have with it is the remote response time its terrible

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

First flat screen was a 42" Fujitsu PDP monitor - great picture but extremely unreliable and a very good room heater. Never bought a TV from a retailer in my life. I own a great many, mostly acquired in one way or another.
    Sizes range from 70" down to 14" (PDP & LCD, all from tier one manufacturers) distributed in various locations. As I sit in my workshop now, I have five TVs on monitoring various FTA, Foxtel and streaming content.
    To me the value of any TV after two years is $0. "No name" brands are shite and are as valuable as fruit after three weeks. Commodity parts, graded panels, shocking PQ, appalling sound, the same UI on all of them and the remote control from one brand will inevitably work on another.
    Last edited by TVguy; 14-03-15 at 05:41 AM.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Depends what you mean by flatscreen

I can remember buying an 80cm CRT that had a flat screen (I think they marketed it as that). I somehow sucked in a mates sister in to taking it Imagine the tipping fees

I have 2 Aldi 42 inch LCD's kicking around here that still work well. The picture quality is actually pretty good even though they are not 1920x1080. Must be about 7 years old ? They were $1500 each at the time.

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post

I can remember buying an 80cm CRT that had a flat screen (I think they marketed it as that). I somehow sucked in a mates sister in to taking it Imagine the tipping fees
    That's what I was thinking.....
    I still have an old Sanyo 32" flat screen crt, it's sitting on the floor in the spare bedroom.
    I don't think I could give it away - it must weigh a friggen ton!

Thanks

I remember when I bought a 68cm Sony Trinitron back in '93. That was a big TV back then! I paid $2200 and everyone thought I had to much money to waste lol.

........Leroy

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    I remember when I bought a 68cm Sony Trinitron back in '93. That was a big TV back then! I paid $2200 and everyone thought I had to much money to waste lol.

........Leroy
    Had the same TV, only tossed it 1 year ago, after it spent years in the workshop under a blanket, what a space waster!
    Weighed a frigging tonne too.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 14-03-15 at 01:55 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Remember when you were King if you owned a 68cm

I was King of the World when I had an 80cm (until everyone realised it was a piece of shit )

I dropped a 51 cm crt in my wheelie bin last week, I dont think the garbage truck driver appreciated it

Thanks

Yeh king until the 80cm Sony Trinitons came out

I have a 51cm in the garage. It's free to recycle so I'm dropping it off there next week.

Leroy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    I am amazed, that the first flatscreen i ever bought, is still my daily driver, its still 1080p, its on everyday, its never failed, broken or stopped, but i know its worth diddly squat in todays market... Yet, it does everything i want in a new TV, unless i buy a 4K TV.

My first:
    Sony Bravia KDL-46X3100

Purchased in 2007 for $3350
    Todays value, $400 - $500 i guess??

Hard to believe its been going solidly for 8 years!
    Still looks amazing with HD content.
    I also bought the 46w model in ~2007, around Christmas, and never really saw the need to upgrade, works great. I did kick myself with choosing against the 46x series, but at the time it was an extra $450 for the thin bezel and slightly different speakers, I think. Also some image processing options.

it's still working with foxtel, and Netflix via Xbox one, and I even figured out how to set up the auto shutoff for TV and foxtel with the voice commands, though it is a hassle to get working. The eventual replacement TV would have to pretty much beat this, though it is getting closer and closer every year.

• The Following User Says Thank You to toliman For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (15-03-15)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post

I have 2 Aldi 42 inch LCD's kicking around here that still work well. The picture quality is actually pretty good even though they are not 1920x1080. Must be about 7 years old ? They were $1500 each at the time.
    Its these sets that do actually have a scrap value as they dont last long on the tip before they have the back case ripped off, the tube neck broken and the Yolk removed for its copper wire.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast