Thread: Bosch Solution 880 Model CC408 alarm system - blank display problem

Thanks

Default Bosch Solution 880 Model CC408 alarm system - blank display problem

There is a Bosch Solution 880 Model CC408 alarm in my house (8 years old) which has not been active for years. Its wall controller LED display formerly showed some info eg "Bosch 12345678". I deduced from age that its 12V battery needed replacement, so I removed the battery (which tested faulty), installed a new one (correct red/black leads, shows 12.75V), replaced the cover of the metal case, and turned on the AC wall charger. The LED display is now completely blank. There does not seems to be an on/off or reset switch anywhere. The AC charger socket lights a portable lamp. All the relays in the outside switch box show ON. The paper Operators Guide does not help.

The previous owner gave me the 4 digit security code.

I am completely new to alarm systems, so any suggestions about how to bring it back to life? If it is not a simple matter, I'll call out the installer ($120 to visit). Thanks for any ideas.
    Last edited by dj78; 14-03-15 at 04:25 PM.

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

The codepad has its own fuse in the main box. Do the detectors light up at all when you move around in front of them ? It could be nothing more than just a fuse or it could be terminal which is why it hasn't been powered for years. $120 for a visit is pretty cheap. Get him to update user codes and test all sirens & strobes.

Thanks

Grab a Multimeter, set it to DC. Your interested in the bottom of the three fuses. Is there a voltage across it?...if so replace it. Always power up a Bosch on Battery first.
    Remember to set the Time/Date - Master Code + 6.........

Thanks

Thanks for the good thoughts in those replies. The comments about fuses led me to look more closely at the circuit board in the box. The 3A fuse for the battery was blown. I replaced it, connected the battery and turned on the AC charger, and the control panel now shows action. Waving a hand in front of each of the four detectors makes 1 to 4 show on the panel, and I can make an alarm sound. However the control panel also shows AC power failure, despite the charger supplying 21V AC to the circuit board. The circuit board's battery charging output to the battery shows zero output. Examination of the circuit board also shows a burnt area - see left side of pic. Not clear how long it has been that way, since I have not previously examined the circuit board carefully. My interpretation of all this is that the security functions of the board are probably still working, but the battery charging part of the board is burn out.

So it looks like I'll be asking the installer for a quote on replacing or repairing the main circuit board. Not the best result, but at least I am making progress with solving the problem, thanks to forum help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dj78 View Post
    I can make an alarm sound.
    Me too.

Wooowooowoooowooowoo....

Your panel is showing all the warning signs that it's not worth fixing. In particular that the 'magic smoke' which makes electronic devices work, has escaped.
    Last edited by downunderdan; 20-03-15 at 09:28 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dj78 View Post
    Examination of the circuit board also shows a burnt area - see left side of pic. Not clear how long it has been that way, since I have not previously examined the circuit board carefully.
    Your posts provide a number of clues as to this board's history. The blown 3A (battery) fuse. The capacitor with the bulging top. The cooked area in the power supply area of the board. Most probably a "FAULT" symbol on the keypad display in the past. All these symptoms point to a faulty battery that needed to be changed, but was ignored for an extended period of time. I have seen this many, many times over the years.

People call for advice on why their keypad is "beeping" every few minutes. Once a "low battery" fault is diagnosed, sometimes they choose to not have it replaced, as they "don't use the alarm anyway". However, the board is still trying to charge a dying battery, which ends up cooking the board, such as what has happened here.

Thanks

Note the pcb says Solution 862 CC406

Thanks

Default Bosch solution 880 Security Board

Quote Originally Posted by alarmman View Post
    Your posts provide a number of clues as to this board's history. The blown 3A (battery) fuse. The capacitor with the bulging top. The cooked area in the power supply area of the board. Most probably a "FAULT" symbol on the keypad display in the past. All these symptoms point to a faulty battery that needed to be changed, but was ignored for an extended period of time. I have seen this many, many times over the years.

People call for advice on why their keypad is "beeping" every few minutes. Once a "low battery" fault is diagnosed, sometimes they choose to not have it replaced, as they "don't use the alarm anyway". However, the board is still trying to charge a dying battery, which ends up cooking the board, such as what has happened here.
    Hi Alarmman

Re your post back in 2015 above

How long does will it take to "cook the circuit board" for a Bosch Solution 880 without having the battery operating. I didn't get a new battery for about 4 to 5 weeks and now my new battery ( I have bought 2 of them) appear to be not holding their charge. The warning indicator on the keypad comes and beeps after 4/5 days and when I look at the circuit board the recharge light fuse is on. Is the only solution a new circuit board. Would a new fuse fix the problem. Any other cheaper options?

Thanks for any input you can give

Thanks

If a new battery is not charging after 4 or 5 days, then the Solution 880 board is faulty. I have experienced this problem on a number of occasions with the 880 series i.e. not charging the battery. The only fix is to replace the board.

Note that the Bosch Solution 880-ICP and 844-ICP series of control boards are being phased out, and you might struggle to find a licensed security installer to replace the current board with a compatible one. However, the Solution 2000 and 3000 series are available. Only problem is that all your existing keypads are not compatible with the 2000 and 3000 series, so all your keypads will also need to be replaced as well. Another option is for an installer to replace your control board and keypads with a different brand. All the other existing equipment connected to the current system should be compatible.

Thanks

Thanks alarmman. looks like a new system