Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i5 CPU for a 17 inch Notebook

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Default i5 CPU for a 17 inch Notebook

The missus want's to buy a new 17 inch note book laptop or whatever they want to call them with a i5 CPU in it as i7 CPU's in 17 inch can be a bit expensive and after doing some digging around I find that i5's come with a selectable range "eg"
    i5 4460, i5 4590, i5 4690, i5 4690K. Is there anything else I should look for beside the 4460 is the cheapest CPU and the 4690K is the dearest. Now being a laptop would they have a laptop version of a budget i5 CPU or would they use the same i5 CPU's as the ones I have found above which are used in a typical desktop.
    Other specs Like a SSD drive might come to it but I can always buy a new drive and at the same time get rid of Win8 as she want win7 64bit on her new one. She only uses it for net surfing, emails and some basic online games and thats about it.
    He old i5 is (15.6 inch ACER) is just about worn out after 5 years, keys worn out some don't work and as slow as a wet rag
    Anyone recommend a good place to buy one cash.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

personally
    id buy cheapest new 17 inch you can find
    with least 4gb ram, dvd drive win 8 you can always throw your own win 7 on it
    why? because even the $2000 best lappys still only have 1 yr warranty as does a $300 job
    as you only email, fb or net, you dont need a quad core with 100gb ram & a ssd ? get real
    i put xp on a 2006 dell today with 512 ram & it runs faster than my quad core lol
    save your $, for next time, unless you want special features, touch screen ect
    eg. i have a lovely dell lappy of some old ladys, the power jack is dead, unless i fix it, they want $200 to change a $20 part, thats if its the problem
    i told her to get new $300 job, shes very happy now
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    The missus want's to buy a new 17 inch note book laptop or whatever they want to call them .

17" is a foldable desktop

Thanks

but, check warranty, aus, free pickup ect

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jok11n View Post
    17" is a foldable desktop
    na there pretty cool when you travel & stuff
    who needs a tv lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Forget traveling with a monster like that, I use an 11" Acer for traveling

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    personally
    id buy cheapest new 17 inch you can find
    with least 4gb ram, dvd drive win 8 you can always throw your own win 7 on it
    why? because even the $2000 best lappys still only have 1 yr warranty as does a $300 job
    as you only email, fb or net, you dont need a quad core with 100gb ram & a ssd ? get real
    i put xp on a 2006 dell today with 512 ram & it runs faster than my quad core lol
    save your $, for next time, unless you want special features, touch screen ect
    eg. i have a lovely dell lappy of some old ladys, the power jack is dead, unless i fix it, they want $200 to change a $20 part, thats if its the problem
    i told her to get new $300 job, shes very happy now
    Yes I was thinking of that as I can buy a 17 inch Toshiba with a either a A6 or A10 CPU for a reasonable price.
    XP on any fast machine flies as soon as you put a later oS on the same computer is becomes a slug

Thanks

personally

Well its a case that the wife sees my Desktop that has Speed with a i7 4790k, an Asrock, gaming board, Kingston ram, 3X Sandisk SSD's, GTX 980 GPU, and yes I built this computer for a purpose but the wife sees speed so she would like something that boots up in reasonable time and not wait 5 minutes while her old computer thinks about getting to the desktop.

Thanks

but, check warranty, aus, free pickup ect
    Missed this one. The wife wants 17 inch because of her aging eye site, For me my 23 inch IPS is starting to get small on my our desktop

Thanks

I find it strange that a few on ebay selling laptops with Win 8 want to charge you $135 to re install Win 7 back on the machine. Is Windows 8 that bad is it.

Thanks

yes
    its windows without a start button
    you need to run mouse off the screen to find settings
    its got good recovery, ill give it that
    as far as boot time, why do ppl need a 30 sec boot when the pc sits there idle for the next 8 hours while they think of what to do next?

Thanks

It doesnt have to be without the start button. Theres classic shell or upgrade to 8.1.

And you dont need to take the mouse curser off the screen as the keyboard hotkeys are more efficient.

I wouldnt be returning to win7 from a working licenced install of 8/8.1.

And I definately wouldnt be running unsupported 32bit xp on modern 64bit archtecture.
    Last edited by koshari; 22-03-15 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

I've been using a 17 inch HP Envy for some years, running Sabayon Linux. My eyes are sadly not improving with age either. The model I have has the metal chassis and came with an I7, 16GB of Ram and 2 x 1GB hard disk. I have found it to be an excellent machine and great value. New versions of the envy with I5 processors start from a little over $1,100.00. A couple of hundred dollars more will get you an I7.

Thanks

After going to Office works/JB/Goodguys/Hardly Normal with there so call 50 Million dollars sale we found it hard to find anything in the 17 or 17.3 in size. Out of all these outlets at total of five 17 inch Laptops were found $$$$$$$$$$
    we went back home and purchased this one from ebay

The wife does a lot of research stuff for my sons education so she is on and off her computer most of the day and this is the reason why she wants a computer that boots up faster than her old one that honestly took about or over 4 minutes to get to the desktop. She see's my i7 with the works in boot up fully in under 15 seconds. Maybe she is Jeolous LOL,LOL.
    We will stick with Win 8 just to see how it goes and if a lot off her basic programs can operate on Win 8. But if not we will buy a version of Win 7 64Bit from Ebay and if that happens I will come back and ask you guys the the headache of collecting all the drivers for the above laptop.

Thanks

looks ok
    only 250gb drive but? hope you got a portable as well
    8 isnt that bad, as said just install a start menu app
    see who does the warranty though, hp or the seller

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (23-03-15)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by koshari View Post
    It doesnt have to be without the start button. Theres classic shell or upgrade to 8.1.

And you don't need to take the mouse cursor off the screen as the keyboard hotkeys are more efficient.

I wouldn't be returning to win7 from a working licenced install of 8/8.1.

And I definitely wouldn't be running unsupported 32bit xp on modern 64bit architecture.
    I definitely agree with all those comments.

I like Windows 8, particularly with the conventional Start menu restored. It runs quickly and in two years use I have had little to complain about for most everyday tasks.

I'm currently trialling Windows 10 on a different machine and it appears to run well. So far, so good.

Having said all that, my Windows experience over the years has not been a particularly enjoyable one. The only reason I use it is because the majority of software available demands it.

I also run another computer with Mac OS X, which is a most enjoyable experience indeed. Entirely trouble free.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (23-03-15)

Thanks

looks ok
    only 250gb drive but? hope you got a portable as well
    8 isnt that bad, as said just install a start menu app
    see who does the warranty though, hp or the seller
    Both. The First 3 months warranty is the seller and the final 9 months (total 12 months) is HP The 250 GB is plenty for her as she download noting. My wifes biggest problem was with her old existing computer with one partition she had the Windows folder was contaminated with other shit for other programs she downloaded (possible why its slow). When she gets her new computer I will make a new partition for her own person stuff and a EXE foldfer where she can download all her new programs to and execute them from there. Her old computer is a mess. I will do after she gets the new one a Factory restore on the old one and bring it back to the day she purchased it then I will uninstall all the crap not needed from it.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 23-03-15 at 01:22 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jok11n View Post
    Forget traveling with a monster like that, I use an 11" Acer for traveling
    Her laptop is lucky to move 4 times a year and that is for me to clean the Coolmaster it sits on. Talk about Coolmaster I will have to buy a bigger one for this unit

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by koshari View Post

And you dont need to take the mouse curser off the screen as the keyboard hotkeys are more efficient.
    Can I have more info for this Please What do I have to do to get the Start menu?

Thanks

Look here

• The Following User Says Thank You to koshari For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (24-03-15)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast