Thread: Multiple JCV files for different maps

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

Default Multiple JCV files for different maps

Looking to confirm if I can have multiple JCV files for different maps installed on a Garmin Nuvi 1450/90.

I currently have a Sensis map on the GPS drive, along with the related JCV file. I have an additional HERE map installed on an SD card. If I put the related JCV file for the HERE map on the SD card would it use this data, or will it only take JCV date from the main GPS drive where the other file is stored?

If it does only takes data from the GPS drive, can I install 2 different JCV files for each map in this location?

Hoping that makes some sense, as I'm even getting confused reading it back.

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

You're close.

The correct JCV file for the mapset must be located in a Folder called JCV in the same part of the device as the map it is made for.
    Both maps will use their correctly allocated JCV file.

If the map is on the SD card, in a folder called Map or Garmin (either is fine for the map), then you need to put the JCV folder with file in it in the Garmin folder in the root of the drive if you have it already, if not create it. It needs to be in this folder
    Correct path is SD card: Garmin/JCV/your jcv file

If the map is in the 1450/90 .system folder then the JCV file goes in the JCV folder.
    Correct path is Nuvi:.System/JCV/your jcv file

If the extra map is in a folder called Map in the root of the 1450/90 device then you need to put the JCV file In JCV Folder for that map in the Garmin folder in the root of the device.
    Correct path is Nuvi: Garmin/JCV/your jcv file

Hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by Tiny; 08-04-15 at 06:04 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

Thanks Tiny - makes perfect sense mate.

Thanks

The JCV file and it's corresponding IMG file don't need to be in the same location, i.e. one can be on a media card and the other can be on the device provided the correct naming and placement conventions are observed and any old versions of jcv for previous maps in the same series are removed. For example, JCV file for a sensis map won't interfere with a HERE map but a different version's jcv for the same series can do so.

Don't have HERE and Sensis maps covering the same areas enabled at the same time though, that can cause problems of a different kind.