Thread: LAN only VOIP

Thanks

Default LAN only VOIP

Hi All,
    I'm considering using VOIP handsets as an intercom system at home, but don't really have experience in setting up VOIP.
    I have 3 buildings (house, shed, office) all of which have active (cat5e) ethernet connections back to a central switch/router.

Is there any special considerations if the only requirement is for each handset to be be able to call either of the other 2 local handsets?
    Is it just a matter of purchasing the voip phones, assigning them an IP address and then lifting the handset and directly dialing another handset via its ip address?

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

It's not difficult.

There is plenty of information available using Google.

Try the links provided at for starters.

Thanks

thanks tristen,
    I did scan over that whirlpool post prior to starting the thread as there were some who claimed a local sip server was required and others who claimed it wasn't, if you used particular voip phones such as the SPA942.
    I was hoping that some of the Austech folks may have had first hand experience in setting this up and could share their experiences, before I went out and bough any hardware.

I'll keep digging and report back if I find anything that may help others.

Cheers

Thanks

As far as I can tell, the SPA942 is a VoIP phone only - i.e. it doesn't include any form of SIP server. Also as far as I am aware, you will need some form of SIP Server. There are commercially available ones that will cost $$ or if you have a spare PC lying about you could build one yourself using asterisk. I think there may even be a raspberry pi image which includes asterisk getting about which would probably work best for only three handsets...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Gitch For This Useful Post:

tivo (05-05-15)

Thanks

OK, I bit the bullet and bought a pair of SPA942 phones in the hope I could get it working. These phones require an external power supply if your network does not have PoE.
    It was not as simple as I'd hoped, but I have managed to get it working without any SIP server required.
    There is a mind-blowing number of different configuration options on these phones.
    I was hoping that it would be a matter of assigning an IP address to each then dialing the IP directly but there's a number of options that you need to configure to enable this direct IP dialing.
    In case anyone else is thinking of doing the same, the following resource provided the key information I needed:

All the best!

• The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tivo For This Useful Post:

angol (14-08-22),efab (15-04-16),Gitch (17-05-15),Guiseppe (15-04-16),lsemmens (09-12-15),silverbak (01-03-20),tsunami_australia (15-04-16)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Tivo, thanks for keeping us informed of your progress and for providing the link.

I am pleased that you succeeded.

Thanks

Hi,
    I'm using a Raspberry Pi with incredible free pbx, Very easy setting up for just users.
    For phones I just using old android phones and lap tops.
    Kids love playing with it,

Ps.
    If your router can run DD-WRT there is a version with a SIP server on it.
    But the Pi is much better. To hook my PSTN line in, I used a Minitar ATA as a gateway to the Pi.
    Last edited by s0ggy; 23-05-15 at 11:37 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to s0ggy For This Useful Post:

tristen (23-05-15)

Thanks

Regardless of what hardware you use for VoIP phones to work they must be connected to a SIP server. Some solutions such as the Cisco SPA have a small SIP server built into them already, you can also download a number of free software services which let you run a SIP server on a standard desktop computer. Irrespective of what track you go down you have to have a SIP server and define the extension numbers, usernames, and passwords, and then configure the phones with the correct username and password which will then attach the relevant extension number(s) to it.

Thanks

hi

i think this software will be useful .... try it

best regards

Thanks

another one to look at would be ive had a play with it and it works well.
    it does take a littlebit to get your head around
    If i have helped you in anyway, dont forget to hit the Thanks button
    “If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.”

Thanks

The cheapest low power sip server you will find for something like what you describe (if perhaps you wanted to join it up with the phone network) is an SPA9000. They go for bugger all now and chew much less power than most computers running 3CX/Asterisk/whatever.

We started with a 9000+3102 (3102 was the POTS/PSTN gateway device) and TBH the only reason I moved on was the MOH was not functioning correctly, the VSP's MOH was overriding my analogue EXT2 input (FM radio) regardless of what settings I used . Now we barely use the VoIP phones, rather just using the mobiles for 99% of our few calls due to better plans.

• 31-05-16, 09:02 AM