Thread: Master codes

Banned
    Thanks

Default Master codes

I have always been pissed off at people that dont make a user code the master code. I can see no reason for this other than to make the client pay for what should be a user function - time/date setting , code changes etc. The extent to which this happens has been highlighted in the last two days of (battery) servicing following the extended power outages as a result of the storms. What should be a simple job can turn into a headache when you dont have a master or installer code. I have picked up about 20 new customers as a result of this and also the $$$ shock at what is charged for after hours service by the majors. One lady said she phoned her provider at 1530 Thursday only to be told the techs knocked off at 1500 & it would cost $450 to get them to her door.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I always gave the users the master code, I always made sure that it was not a user code they would use so they wouldn't generally share it. For example the bosses code being master and 6 months down the track he forgets and shares it with the cleaner or etc for whatever he has given away the master code.

If we were providing monitoring I always discussed with the client about the installer code and only ever had one objection who requested they got the code, they signed a document to state that operation of the alarm system after they received the installer code could not assured and they would be fully responsible for all its reports and responses due to those reports.
    After they attempted to change something in the system and over a long weekend while they were closed they had 5patrol visits due to false alarms they paid me to correct it and gave up the installer code. Decided better they didn't have it just I case they did it again.

Had one alarm go to another company and freely changed the installer code to a default code so the new company could take it over. Still do other work for this customer several years after this and on good relations with them to this day.

Thanks

It's the thorn in the side of the industry (why can't we all just get along!)