Thread: Quadcopter Flight School

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Default Quadcopter Flight School

For anyone that is thinking of taking up this hobby & for those that are experienced in Fixed Wing & would like to understand how multirotor craft fly; the best place I have seen to learn just about everything you need to know is right at this link,

Even if you have been flying for awhile there is some excellent videos & articles on flight characteristics of different craft & the techniques used to avoid potential crashes due to thermals, rapid descents & VRS (Vortex Ring State).

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

With the seemingly increasing number of users and not all are 'weekend hobbyists' either, this might be a good idea to learn to avoid damage to the craft and the Video Camera most seem to carry, all of which cost $$$$'s.
    I was surprised recently to see a picture published in the local paper of a part of a scenic cliff area that had fallen away a day or 2 earlier and it was credited to a local Survey company who said they now used a camera equipped Quad Copter when suitable in their business.
    Another was the Central Western Agronomy station who also used one for test crop surveys as it had the ability to cover the area without intrusion and with the HD camera fitted, allowed them to collect the data wanted.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

You're right Gordon, we put a lot of money in the air; ~$1200 for me every time I fly the bigbird (Tali H500), with gimbal & camera.
    Have 100+ flights with much success & only minor damage occurring from a fall from 10m up when I clipped a tree.

So pre-flight checks, after flight checks & periodic maintenance are essential to add to the knowledge of how, where & when to fly one of these aircraft.

Which reminds me, that I came from years of experience with fixed winged R/C aircraft & the most obvious dynamic that causes failure is loss of power, be it battery, fuel or motor failure. If any of those happen a multirotor falls to the ground like a brick.
    My Tali brick has a take off weight off 2.5 Kg.

Multirotors are not aerodynamically able to fly as such.
    The fixed wing aircraft can glide to home if enough elevation at failure - providing you still have radio control.

Another maintenance requirement, radio batteries charged, new or known to able to outlast your days flying, is essential.

The multirotor which includes helicopters, tricopters, quadcopters, hexacopters, octocopters, etc., literally get dragged around by the motor & props, failure of 1 motor or prop will result in; flying like a brick.

There are now some craft with 6 or more rotors that have a smart flight controller (FC) that can compensate for a single rotor failure. That is still only a limp to land aid with no guarantee of a safe landing.

This is what it looks like in 4K if you hit something & crash your expensive equipment from a great height.
    Amazing the camera survived, although you wouldn't think so from the title, it was still recording at ALT = 0 AGL.

Last edited by Tiny; 11-05-15 at 07:22 PM. Reason: schpelling & grandma. lol
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Premium Member

Thanks

Tiny, no doubt as these Quad Copters become more popular and more experience a few 'shattering landings', ways and means to minmise such damage will be trialed and those successful will pass into the hobby along with improving buffering the cameras when things go wrong.
    Here's an idea that no doubt if practicable to make functional will take many long hours of experimenting to either perfect or dump as useless is a parachute attached to the top and deployed on command to allow the unit to fall more slowly if a problem occurs.

Wow, I just watched the first video and did I learn a lot from that.
    Never having been involved in flying before, I was unaware of those situations so clearly demonstrated that causes you to loose control when you go beyond the boundaries of flight.
    I would suggest anyone who wants to avoid seeing their hard earned $$$'s reduced to a lawn ornament and heaps of frustration to watch and learn !!
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 12-05-15 at 04:41 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

The parachute is already a reality Gordon, they beat you to it.

Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member

Thanks

Bummmer, and here I was gearing up with a great idea to make my Millions at last...................................

aaaahhhhh well, back to bouncing my balls off the rubber wall again..............

Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,531 Posts

For those Hobart way that need any advise or toys drop into Nicks Hobby Shop Sorell, and ask for my brother Andy he will really look after you and get you a good deal
    Last edited by Rick; 13-05-15 at 09:55 AM.