Thread: Mirror Dash Cam.......any good?

Thanks

Default Mirror Dash Cam.......any good?

Hi All

love the idea of the dash cam's that attach to the rear view mirror

has anyone had any experience with these?

looked on amazon but there is so many

I did like the falcon but would like something more discreet and would be great with gps

happy to spend the $$$ but would like something that works!... and not get ripped with bad quality video/audio

any recommendations??.... or should i even go down this path?

cheers Bratty

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Not a great solution, better off with a proper camera, the mirror idea is flawed

Thanks

I never used one, but I can see two potential problems: one is that if the camera lens is not hard up against the windscreen, the image recorded by the camera will be degraded by reflections from the windscreen glass. The other is that a camera attached to the mirror is more likely to vibrate.

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Let's not forget other drivers adjusting the mirror.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

my previous reply was from mobile so I didn't go into detail but just a few that come to mind, vibration is a problem, aim is a problem (most are designed for LHD markets and don't have enough adjustment), other people moving the mirror is a problem, the mirror itself is generally not great as an actual mirror, if you want to get into specifics they're not legal to fit either, no E mark approval on the glass which is a safety issue, not something you're likely to get booked for but in the case of an accident if someone in the vehicle got cut by the glass that could come up as an issue, just something to be aware of, the majority are made for the Chinese domestic market where the standards and expectations are much lower

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I have a mirror Rear View cameras and as Jok11n says vibration is a problem when in normal use as a rear view mirror but is no problem in reverse as your only going slowly.
    Fortunately I have 2 good side mirrors for far distance looking back as the interior with the screen is blurry over 50 metres and I cannot see how to dampen it fully out unless I glue it permanently to the screen so its unmovable !!!
    Then there is the weight as mine is put over the cars own Rear view mirror and I had to get a bit inventive to stop it from dropping down to look at the centre console.
    When I bought this, it was all there was on the market and I dont have an inbuilt screen as many do today.

I did have reflection problems with the rear camera looking through the Tail gate glass so I mounted it externally yet the Igo Car cam located about 60mm from the inside of the windscreen seems to be ok BUT if the glass isnt spotless or misty, it shows up.
    One major problem with any forward looking camera is obstruction to the lens from dirt, rain, bugs etc, etc and etc......even the wiper blades cleaning the screen are a distraction to the view.
    I really cant see (no pun) why would you need to look into the rear view mirror if You have a forward looking CAM unless its for very UP close parking.

Before I bought the iGO CarCam I bought one of them el cheapo's and I was amazed at the clarity of the playback (if the windscreen was clean) on the computer monitor but as I have seen with both cameras, certain Sun and overhead street light angles can cause 'flaring' in the image on the screen.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

I must be blind I can't even see the mirror.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    I must be blind I can't even see the mirror.
    I can't even see the point.

Banned

Thanks

Can't see the point either of having a rear mirror camera. But do know a bloke who also has a converted bus and he has 3 x 7" monitors attached where the rear view mirror sits above is head, he has a camera on each west coaster mirror and one fixed just below the rear window. It gives him a view of both sides and the rear of the bus, works really well and looks good. Passengers can also see whats happening behind and when he has a trailer on, he has another camera on top of the enclosed trailer and can switch between both rear camera's.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I think that the "mirror" on that concept car might be the little silver dildo hanging out at the top of the guard (outlined by the window) in the top piccie. As far as cameras go, I think a reverse camera would be a good adjunct to mirrors. No, I have no experience with them, so my opinion is just that.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Administrator
    Thanks

Looks too small to be a functioning mirror... just a camera support?

Administrator
    Thanks

Regardless, it's an old thread and the OP was asking about a dash cam... a camera looking forward, not back.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

One thing to consider with any forward looking Cam is how it stores video and how its powered up.
    Most seem to take an SD card 'Up To' 32GB, but they may take more.
    The main problem is POWER.
    My first one had a Battery that had about 2 hours of Life before it needed recharging BUT, while it came with a ciggy Lighter cord to recharge, it would not function in any mode (record/Playback) while it was recharging.
    Also of course you cant recharge unless the ignition is on in most modern cars today.
    The battery could be removed and another inserted but that meant on a trip you had to plan when to stop to avoid gaps if you wanted a continuous record of a trip.
    I saved my pennies and bought the iGo Cam which turns on and off by the ignition and like most, 'Over writes' the SD card once its full.
    As I posted earlier, looking through the windscreen (50 mm or 2inch back) doesnt seem to affect the image to any great extent.
    The 'Sucker' fell off the other day and when I remounted it, its up almost hidden by the Rear View Mirror which doesnt matter as I rarely look at it when driving for obvious safety reason.
    It does have a 'Rear View Camera' which I use at times but prefer the far bigger 'In Mirror' screen.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!