Thread: 'Something' constantly creating tmp files called SEP****.tmp

Thanks

Default 'Something' constantly creating tmp files called SEP****.tmp

Hi Austechers

I have a rather sad eMachines E729Z (P6200 processor/ 2G RAM / Win 7 Pro) that has recently become sooooo sluggish as to be unusable. In trying to speed it up a little by cleaning out the Windows/TEMP directory, I have noticed a .tmp file (0 bytes) called SEPXXXX.tmp (XXXX is a 4 hex-digit number). This file exists for a second or two and is then replaced by a similar file with a name differing only in the hex number.

I have tried a G**gle search but have not found anything useful. Hopefully someone out there in Austech-land has come across this before and has some idea of what has got hold of my machine.

Any suggestions gratefully received ...

flashfletch
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flashfletch View Post
    Hi Austechers

I have a rather sad eMachines E729Z (P6200 processor/ 2G RAM / Win 7 Pro) that has recently become sooooo sluggish as to be unusable. In trying to speed it up a little by cleaning out the Windows/TEMP directory, I have noticed a .tmp file (0 bytes) called SEPXXXX.tmp (XXXX is a 4 hex-digit number). This file exists for a second or two and is then replaced by a similar file with a name differing only in the hex number.

I have tried a G**gle search but have not found anything useful. Hopefully someone out there in Austech-land has come across this before and has some idea of what has got hold of my machine.

Any suggestions gratefully received ...

flashfletch

These files are created by seaport.exe, which is an automatic update tool for Microsoft’s Search Enhancement applications.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

flashfletch (20-05-15),Tiny (21-05-15)

Thanks

Thanks DB44. As I NEVER use Bing, its no great hassle to disable its search enhancement app.

Managed to follow the trail until I found the offending package and disabled it. Just restarting now to make sure its gone ... so far, so good!

Again, thanks.

flashfletch
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

If you do have further trouble follow the link on the webpage I posted which contains instructions to remove search enhancement. There was some indication that it may also be associated with Windows Live applications.

Thanks

Even though the problem has been solved, if you happen to find yourself in the same position and can't work out what is producing the files you can use Sysinternal's process monitor () to identify which program is responsible. Simply set an event filter to match the file name pattern and let process monitor do its thing.