Thread: Android phone app

Thanks

Default Android phone app

I have a Samsung galaxy tab3 8" that I use in my car for navigation and music etc.
    The tab is not a model that accepts a sim card.
    My phone is a HTC evo 3d.
    Is it possible to install a dialer or what ever else, into the tab and use it to dial and hold a conversation through my phone with say bluetooth ?

If so, what do I need to do to set it up ?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Wifi tether and any of the webchat packages you like. I personally like hangouts. But viber and skype among othets are popular as well.

Edit. Are you saying you want to use the tab as a bt hands free unit for the htc??
    Last edited by koshari; 05-06-15 at 09:06 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to koshari For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (08-06-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Yes, the OP is looking for something like Android Auto, but for his tablet.
    Maybe look on the Android forums for ported version of Android Auto for your particular device?

You could get around it using one of the many Android Sync type Apps that let you control your Smartphone, but that seems a bit clumsy to me.

Try these links, but i still think some refined searching is needed:

Last edited by ol' boy; 05-06-15 at 09:37 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

best4less (22-07-15),loopyloo (08-06-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by koshari View Post
    Wifi tether and any of the webchat packages you like. I personally like hangouts. But viber and skype among othets are popular as well.

Edit. Are you saying you want to use the tab as a bt hands free unit for the htc??
    Yes, Sort of.
    Picture it like this : The Tab is mounted to the dash and my phone is in the glovebox. ((Remember, the Tab does not have a sim card) and also does not have a dialer app)
    I already use the Tab for music and such, and when I want to use its GPS or internet, I connect to my phone's wifi hotspot to get the maps.

What I'm after is someway of making or receiving phone calls using the Tab as the controller. So I need a phone book and dialer apps etc and someway for the Tab to talk to the phone.
    Last edited by loopyloo; 08-06-15 at 01:04 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loopyloo View Post
    Yes, Sort of.
    Picture it like this : The Tab is mounted to the dash and my phone is in the glovebox. ((Remember, the Tab does not have a sim card) and also does not have a dialer app)
    I already use the Tab for music and such, and when I want to use its GPS or internet, I connect to my phone's wifi hotspot to get the maps.

What I'm after is someway of making or receiving phone calls using the Tab as the controller. So I need a phone book and dialer apps etc and someway for the Tab to talk to the phone.
    Legally whilst driving your only option is bluetooth hands free and "voice control" as touching the phone (or tab for that matter) for telephony functions is a no.no.

You can use your tab whilst driving as a navigator providing its in a commercially produced holder.

Due to these limitations alternative options havnt reached critical mass. I would be suprised if thete are any existing dolutions to what you propose given dedicated dirt cheap legal BT Interfaces exist for phones already.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by koshari View Post
    Legally whilst driving your only option is bluetooth hands free and "voice control" as touching the phone (or tab for that matter) for telephony functions is a no.no.
    Really?

Using a mobile phone while driving is prohibited, except to make or receive a phone call or to use its audio/music functions provided the phone:

is secured in a commercially designed holder fixed to the vehicle, or
    can be operated by the driver without touching any part of the phone, and the phone is not resting on any part of the driver's body.

Using a phone as a navigational device/GPS while driving is prohibited unless it is secured in a commercially designed holder fixed to the vehicle. All other functions (including video calls, texting and emailing) are prohibited.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 21-07-15 at 09:25 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

I walked in to Harvey Norman the other day and put this exercise to them. They simply said it can't be done.

In the mean time I installed a nice app called "Car Home Ultra".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Really?
    at least in Victoria,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loopyloo View Post
    I walked in to Harvey Norman the other day and put this exercise to them. They simply said it can't be done.

In the mean time I installed a nice app called "Car Home Ultra".
    all fair and well but you still have to run the app to make celuar calls on the phone rather than the tab.