Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

In the news

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pheggie For This Useful Post:

mkhannah (20-07-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,075 Times in 6,766 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    As this is FTA TV nobody has to change anything apart from rescanning the tuner if the TV set doesnt do it automaticaly....
    Providing the TV or STB tuner decodes MPEG4, of which there are many out there that will only do MPEG2.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

If they go with that MPEG4 format only, they are going to loose a huge audience of those whose TV's arent capable of receiving that method and like me wont chuck away everything I have thats under 3 years old just to watch one channel which is only racing anyway.

When I made that quoted comment, I wasnt aware of and never thought of the possibility of using MPEG4 but meant it was simpler to retune a FTA Digital channel than having to install a STB with associated SMART card and maybe a new dish if this transmitted by another satellite not already available.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks

They can't lose an audience, as the racing channel didn't exist previously.

They can only gain audience by racing fans tuning in and I have no doubt those fans will upgrade to a capable TV or STB to receive the new channel.

All Australian TV channels will migrate to MPEG4 most likely in the next few years, which I think they should have adopted from the beginning of digital.

NZ got it right with MPEG4 and 8MHz channel bandwidth, as opposed to Australia's MPEG2 7MHz standard.

MPEG4 permits higher bit rates compared to MPEG2 in the equivalent bandwidth. It also allows more channels within that bandwidth (at reduced bit rate) hopefully not to be filled with more shopping channels.

The bottom line is that every tuner that is not compatible with MPEG4 will need to be upgraded/replaced in the not-too-distant future.

Most TV's sold in the last 5 years should be OK.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

beerman (22-07-15),ol' boy (21-07-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 836 Posts

It's got a long way to go before its called a racing channel. I've no doubt it's increased turnover on Vic racing meetings but is it enough cash to gain broadcast rights for other states?
    We now have sky1, Sky 2, sky world and channel 78. I need picture in picture in picture in picture...

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

Default DVB-T2 inevitable

SBS and ABC are both working on DVB-T2 MPEG4 roll out via BA. No confirmations will be published until the day it actually happens. These services will likely be additional to the current DVB-T MPEG2 service but the agenda is to promote the DVB-T2 platform. SBS are also testing HEVC compression and recently at the SMPTE conference in Sydney many industry executives thought HEVC should be adopted instead of MPEG4.
    Last edited by beerman; 22-07-15 at 01:19 PM.
    "the one with the sugar coating is the one that would otherwise taste worst".

• The Following User Says Thank You to beerman For This Useful Post:

pheggie (22-07-15)

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

Default Channel 78 Standard def

Channel 78 will be standard definition only. The movement of the horses will be very ordinary to watch.
    "the one with the sugar coating is the one that would otherwise taste worst".

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    Channel 78 will be standard definition only. The movement of the horses will be very ordinary to watch.
    That Horse you bet on and is still running the next day looks exactly the same in SD as it would in HD.
    Like the 'Dish Lickers' that are in and out of the box's before the Cameraman gets time to focus on them.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    All Australian TV channels will migrate to MPEG4 most likely in the next few years, which I think they should have adopted from the beginning of digital.
    Except that 'MPEG4' (MPEG-4 AVC) wasn't actually standardised when Australia commenced digital television. An observation you've made yourself.

NZ got it right with MPEG4 and 8MHz channel bandwidth, as opposed to Australia's MPEG2 7MHz standard.
    .. and as you've noted yourself elsewhere Australia had an existing 7MHz allocation system that had to be maintained during the rollout of digital television.

MPEG4 permits higher bit rates compared to MPEG2 in the equivalent bandwidth.
    Err what? I think you might mean higher quality not higher bit rates.

WOW! Normally your posts are pretty good here and on other forums but I reckon you were on the piss when you wrote this one.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

Escape_from_Oz (24-11-15)

Thanks

These services will likely be additional to the current DVB-T MPEG2 service but the agenda is to promote the DVB-T2 platform.
    Well unless ABC and SBS plan on shutting out 95% of their viewers (yipeee! says Abbott and Turnbull) there's no likely be additional, it would be guaranteed. 'T' receivers can't handle 'T2' and I doubt either would reduce their T capacity.

SBS are also testing HEVC compression and recently at the SMPTE conference in Sydney many industry executives thought HEVC should be adopted instead of MPEG4.
    So after years of slowly waiting for the market to prime the audience with MPEG-4 AVC capable TVs, press the reset button and wait another 10 years? "I don't think so Tim".

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

It might be SD, and i always thought it was just a retransmission of their Online Stream anyway.... But i can assure you, its fine to watch.
    It has a better PQ than half the channels on FTA

Just need it roll out on Country Channels now, they are the people missing out, especially considering most of the Vic Tracks are in the country!
    So local betting and punters are still in the dark ;(

I must admit, i still dont understand what happen with the "Blackout on Victorian Racing.
    It was Tabcorps doing, they choose not to broadcast Victorian Racing on SKY Racing Channels.
    You'd think Tabcorp would have vested interests in having all racing shown.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 23-07-15 at 08:48 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member

Thanks

I agree oceanboy when gambling is the core focus of Tabcorps existance to disreagard any part of it sounds very strange indeed.
    Also on its own, I wouldnt have thought VicRacing could 'Go it Alone' either but there's got top be the 'colour of money' for them all to set this up so all we can do is wait and see.

Thanks

Now available in Canberra LCN 68

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

It was on the local news here tonight saying its now available in Albury/Wodonga. I wasn't listening that closely but I got the impression its a temporary thing until something else is negotiated??

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Administrator
    Thanks

The 'inside' word is it's expected to stay and expand.... guess we'll see.

Premium Member

Thanks

Also available on the Orange/Dubbo area of the SEVEN/PRIME network this morning but only with a black screen, no audio and an Info bar announcing the channel name with a time of 0600 to 0600 so its a pretty fair guess its at least available in all NSW regions if not the whole of Australia.
    I wonder if it will also be available on VAST as well?
    I didnt even have to rescan the TV either.

Picture and sound at 13.30 but I had to rescan a Strong STB to add the channel to the list.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 29-07-15 at 02:57 PM.

Thanks

Does anybody else have the same problem. I re-tuned my Panasonic Viera Tv to get the Prime racing channel (68) I got no picture, & now I've lost Prime I-Shoptv (65) & Prime 4ME (64). I have re-set back to factory default settings & re-tuned but still nothing. Signal Strength & quality are 10. My other Samsung TV tuned properly. Anybody else having problems with their Panasonic, or know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by milan; 30-07-15 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by milan View Post
    Does anybody else have the same problem. I re-tuned my Panasonic Viera Tv to get the Prime racing channel (68) I got no picture, & now I've lost Prime I-Shoptv (65) & Prime 4ME (64). I have re-set back to factory default settings & re-tuned but still nothing. Signal Strength & quality are 10. My other Samsung TV tuned properly. Anybody else having problems with their Panasonic, or know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    The services you mention are MPEG4 encoding, I suspect your Panasonic TV is of a vintage that is unable to decode this.

Whereas your Samsung doesn't have an issue with this.

What model of Panasonic have you?
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

Thanks

Thank you Antennaman for the reply, the Panasonic Viera is about 5-6 years old, model TX-32LXD80A. The strange thing is ch64 & ch65 always worked fine, but after the re-scan there gone. Only 64 65 & 68 don't work. Thanks again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by milan View Post
    Thank you Antennaman for the reply, the Panasonic Viera is about 5-6 years old, model TX-32LXD80A. The strange thing is ch64 & ch65 always worked fine, but after the re-scan there gone. Only 64 65 & 68 don't work. Thanks again
    Because of its age, your set can most likely only decode MPEG2 broadcasts.

64 & 65 were MPEG2 until the racing channel started, they are now MPEG4 (so the station can put more crud into the multiplex - my opinion only), so your set can not display them now.
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

• Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast