Thread: Merlin Garage door repair

Thanks

Default Merlin Garage door repair

Just asking if anyone has used a Garage door repair service in Melbourne?

My Roller Door motor is making a loud vibrating sound when lifting the tilt door, its using a Merlin 230-T opener. I got up and had a look and everything looks ok and tight, (I also lubed it a bit) so I thought I might call a professional in to have a look.

Cheers

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Yours is a one piece tilt door right? Not a 4-5 panel section door? (i cant remember from last time i was over) or is it a roller door?

If its a one piece tilt, does it make the noise on the way up but not on the way down?

If so, disconnect the opener from the door and try to lift and lower the door, is it harder going up wards to lift?

If so the springs on the side used to assist the lifting need adjusting.

The units motor is struggling against the weight of the door.

Every 3-5 years i need to adjust the springs on mine to help take the strain off the motor.....

If its a roller door, they also have a spring unit on the side to help them up which is adjustable.
    Last edited by Godzilla; 16-06-15 at 03:55 AM.

Thanks

Hi Buddy, thanks for the reply.

Yes its a one piece tilt door and yes it makes noise on the way up. I have not disconnected it yet but will do so this weekend. Is there a trick to adjusting the springs, for example am I suppose to be increasing the spring tension and if so how do you gauge that ?

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

By trial and error.

Disconnect the door from the remote unit by pulling the string.

Feel how hard you need to push the door up to open it, if any force is needed, thats a strain on the motor, what you feel is what your motor does in either direction (up or down).

After feeling, reconnect the door to the motor so you can operate it.

Go to the springs on either side, on the bottom is a adjustable threaded rod that the springs hook onto which is used to put more or less tension on the springs, you want more tension or more spring stretch to help the door upwards.

Adjust it when the springs are at their shortest position (makes life easier) which is when the door is wide open.

Remember not to go too far, anything you help in the upwards direction adds force to the downwards direction.

Maybe try to stretch the spring another Cm on both sides at a time and test the door till you find whats right in both directions, your looking for a happy medium in both directions.

Its a bit of trial and error, remember that what you feel operating the door by hand is what your motor has to deal with and they dont like being strained.

Its common for the springs to get stretched a bit with time and some adjustment to be needed.....

Key point is stretching the springs more helps the door up, less stretch on the springs makes it harder to lift the door.

Too much stretch and the motor will make noise on the doors way down as it will be fighting the springs pressure.....but the door will open really easily.
    Last edited by Godzilla; 16-06-15 at 11:02 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

myf360f1 (17-06-15)

Thanks

Thanks Buddy good advice, will give it a bash and see how it goes.

Cheers

Thanks

Ok Update time, so I cleaned all the rails and rollers placed some lube on the gear mechanism up in the motor. With the door fully opened I screwed down the adjuster 1/2 inch on both sides of the springs and then adjusted both the maximum lift travel and drop travel. I also adjusted the chain to take up any slack and bingo no more noise and the unit works great. Plus the fixed wired remote button on the wall works now too. Personally I think I fluked it but whatever I did seemed to work so a big Thanks to Godz for the advice.

Cheers

• The Following User Says Thank You to myf360f1 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (20-06-15)