Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Govt Announces NBN Satellite Launch

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

One News report said it would reach its intended location in 'Three Days' and then go into the test sequence with a forecast of providing service 'from June next year'.

If I read correctly from that Activ8me letter Tiny posted (many thanks for that) the current service on Ipstar will be phased out which would mean for those still connected, their dish will need to be refocused to suit the new position.
    I wonder will it also mean a new LNB/Modem to handle the reputedly faster speeds that this is supposed to provide??
    One report also said this new service was intended for those '20km out of Town' so that will something to watch to see how this is applied.

Also way down the track is where will they park the second Satellite if the launch goes ahead next year as currently proposed, 'Up close and Friendly' like C1/D3 are ?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 02-10-15 at 01:20 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    According to the report at , Sky Muster's final orbital position will be 140 degrees east, which will put it almost due north of Adelaide (138 degrees east).

When all in-orbit testing is concluded, the satellite's control will be handed over to Optus towards "the end of November, early December".
    That's great that it's going to be at 140E a way better angle for me than the current iPSTAR/Thaicom 4 @ 119.5E.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Kalgoorlie tracking station to play a critical role monitoring new NBN satellite #abcnews

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Premium Member

Thanks

Ipstar had two 'Uplinks', one was Kalgoolie and I believe the other was at Broken Hill.
    During a problem I had with Ipstar, I was told it was to do with an 'Uplink' located somewhere in Central Queensland which I thought was just to fob me off.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 08-10-15 at 04:40 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks

Out of curiosity I have just checked Lyngsat to see if the new Satellite was listed and I see there are already 2 in orbit at 140 degrees.
    one is called EXPRESS AM5 with the other shown as Himawari 6 (MTSAT-1R)
    Of course there is no reason why there cant be three 'up close and personal' but I didnt think 'space' was so critical in our part of the world to need to do this.
    SkyMuster isnt listed as yet.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Out of curiosity I have just checked Lyngsat to see if the new Satellite was listed and I see there are already 2 in orbit at 140 degrees.
    one is called EXPRESS AM5 with the other shown as Himawari 6 (MTSAT-1R)
    Of course there is no reason why there cant be three 'up close and personal' but I didnt think 'space' was so critical in our part of the world to need to do this.
    SkyMuster isnt listed as yet.
    No, it isn't listed at Lyngsat, but I don't think I would expect it to be as he maintains satellite radio and tv webpages. Sky Muster will carry internet traffic only.

It does however show up at the n2yo satellite tracking website, once the relevant satellite identification data is entered.

See below.

It appears to be currently residing at 140.07 degrees east, and will undergo extensive in-orbit testing by Space Systems Laural, until it is ready for handover to Optus later this year. Optus is contracted to provide uplink and control from their Belrose earth station.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

mtv (15-10-15),OSIRUS (12-11-15),Tiny (13-10-15)

Premium Member

Thanks

I was curious to see what 'direction' a dish will face from my location to use the new service compared to both Ipstar and D3, if its applicable here.
    No doubt in the depths of Space, that 0.07 of a degree from the other 'residents' at 140 will be more than sufficient to ensure no conflicts will occur.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

No satellite remains completely still in its orbital position due to outside influences.

The location of the moon plays a significant part in a satellite's position due to its gravitational pull, which constantly changes over a 24 hour period.

For those interested, at 2250 hours AEST tonight, Sky Muster is at 140.41 degrees east, MTSAT-1R (Himawari 6) is at 140.02 degrees east and EXPRESS AM5 is at 140.06 degrees east.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

mtv (15-10-15),OSIRUS (12-11-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Another email from Activ8 on behalf of NBN, looks like they are getting prepared.

Register Your Interest For The New NBN Satellite

Tuesday, 13 October 2015

To Our Valued Satellite Customers,
    Last week you received an email with an update on the progress on the new nbn satellite. This newsletter advised you would receive an email last week with the ability to register your interest. Sorry for the slight delay in getting this to you.
    You can now register your interest by clicking the link at the bottom of this email. This will take you to our “Register Interest” web page where you can submit your interest online.
    By registering your interest you will receive priority to get your nbn service ordered and installed. We will also keep you updated with the latest news, plan pricing and availability.
    Your contact and address details will be pre-populated in the web page. Please check and update any details if necessary before submitting the form.
    You can register your interest for the new nbn satellite by Clicking Here.

We look forward to receiving your registration of interest and providing you with a new and improved satellite service in 2016.
    Kind Regards,
    Tony Bundrock
    CEO, Activ8me

Last edited by Tiny; 15-10-15 at 10:16 AM. Reason: oops that link contained private info, need to be more careful.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

mtv (15-10-15),OSIRUS (12-11-15)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    No satellite remains completely still in its orbital position due to outside influences.

The location of the moon plays a significant part in a satellite's position due to its gravitational pull, which constantly changes over a 24 hour period.

For those interested, at 2250 hours AEST tonight, Sky Muster is at 140.41 degrees east, MTSAT-1R (Himawari 6) is at 140.02 degrees east and EXPRESS AM5 is at 140.06 degrees east.
    Remembering that Space is 3 dimensional, not 2 allows an object to be high, Low, left or right yet still be shown as the same place as another.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Default UPDATE email

Looks like they are having plenty of interest!

Tuesday, 10 November 2015
    A note from Tony Bundrock, Activ8me CEO
    10th November, 2015

Registration of interest updates on the new nbn satellite

I would like to thank everyone for their registration of interest for updates on the new nbn satellite. We had a strong response (so much so that the amount of traffic to the register interest page slowed the website).

If you haven’t yet registered your interest for updates on the new nbn satellite, you can still do so by clicking here.

If you have problems clicking the link above you can register for updates by:

Visiting:

Or, go to the Activ8me website > Click ‘Contact Us’ > Select ‘Register Interest New NBN Satellite’

If you know anyone who would like to register their interest, they can do so by using the above link. We are taking registrations from everyone, not just Activ8me customers.

nbn Lights the Sky to Ignite High-Speed Regional Internet with the Sky Muster

Watching the “Sky Muster" nbn satellite being launched via live video into the skies by the Ariane 5 rocket, was a watershed moment for the Australian communications industry. The spectacular event, which took place in French Guiana on October 1 heralds a new era in which regional Australia will get the broadband services that it needs. The new satellite, one of two that will be covering the furthest reaches of Australia, will deliver broadband internet connectivity to 200,000 Australians living in remote areas with installations starting in April 2016.

For the team at Activ8me it was particularly satisfying as our business was founded on our capability as satellite experts and we have watched both technology and the dynamic demands of the consumer change and evolve at a startling pace. We understand that satellite, whilst one of the oldest platforms for communication is also one of the most robust and the new nbn satellite technology will be crucial in covering the diverse needs of Australia and its terrain.

The launch itself was flawless with a smooth technical ride for the Ariane 5 rocket that sped into space at 1.6 kilometres per second, faster than a bullet. The new nbn satellite Sky Muster is now in orbit of Australia and all the solar panels and antennas have unfolded as the satellite warms up for full use. There are ten ground stations dotted around Australia, ready to communicate with the satellite and get the first data transmissions underway. Positioned approximately 36,000 km above Earth, the nbn satellites will each broadcast through 101 spot beams covering all of Australia mainland and its offshore territories such as Lord Howe Island. Users can expect to see download speeds of up to 12 megabits per second, and upload speeds of up to 1 megabits per second with the option of 25 megabits download and 1 megabit upload at an additional cost. .

Testing times

In the lead up to commercial launch it is essential to get the service levels right so nbn has embarked on a rigorous testing phase. Activ8me is one of three companies that will be testing the performance of the new satellite service, its beam and signal levels, which will be undertaken with some of our existing customers in regional areas. There are 80 Activ8me customers who were selected by nbn to be included in the test phase beam trials and around 100 or so Activ8me customers in the field trial. These customers are being notified and I’ll keep you updated on the test status and results.

We are delighted to also announce that we have already intergrated our data network with nbn and will have a fully functional test process underway in our Melbourne HQ in Preston before Christmas which means all our internal staff can commence trialling and testing the new satellite service experience. We will also have access to an additional test facility operational in Brunswick, Victoria.

Once the new nbn satellite service is ready for commercial connections, Activ8me will be able to nominate around 1,000 - 1,200 customers for an upgrade to the new nbn satellite service per month.

Naturally, we will be launching new satellite plans for the new service and we will keep you updated on these once they are finalised. Discussions regarding plan construction requirements are continuing with nbn.

I would like to thank you all again for the great response to registration, we will be in contact with more information as it comes to hand.

Tony Bundrock

CEO, Activ8me
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Looks like they are having plenty of interest!
    No no. That's simply not right. Turnbull told us there simply wasn't the demand to justify these expensive nbn sats. What little was needed could readily be serviced by leasing capacity of existing sats that had beams falling on Australia.

(pleasedo not mention Turnbull turning around and patting himself on the back for arranging nbn's sats... something his government had absolutely nothing to do with... once it became clear there was massive demand for broadband from Australians in remote areas)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    No no. That's simply not right. Turnbull told us there simply wasn't the demand to justify these expensive nbn sats. What little was needed could readily be serviced by leasing capacity of existing sats that had beams falling on Australia.

(pleasedo not mention Turnbull turning around and patting himself on the back for arranging nbn's sats... something his government had absolutely nothing to do with... once it became clear there was massive demand for broadband from Australians in remote areas)
    Well who gives a rats arse what politicians say about anything, the important thing is Sky Muster is in Orbit & ready for action, so thank you to the Tax Payers of Oz for your generous gift to Rural Oz.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member

Thanks

One problem to keep in mind with this new satellite is that if I have read correctly, it will have a strictly limited Customer base, I think 20,000 was mentioned or was that for Terrestrial Wireless?
    No doubt Skymuster was too far down the track to be cancelled as 'we didnt need it' but what about the second one, whats its present status?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

One problem to keep in mind with this new satellite is that if I have read correctly, it will have a strictly limited Customer base, I think 20,000 was mentioned or was that for Terrestrial Wireless?
    No doubt Skymuster was too far down the track to be cancelled as 'we didnt need it' but what about the second one, whats its present status?
    According to email I posted in Post#18 on previous page, that customer figure is 200,000+ for Sky Muster & the second sat will be launched next year.

The new nbn satellite was launched from Guiana Space Station in South America. Weighing 6,400 kilograms, it’s one of the world’s largest communications satellites and will service more than 200,000 homes and businesses in rural and remote Australia.

nbn have commenced preparations for the new nbn satellite. The first of their two new satellites was launched successfully today 1st October 2015 at 6:30am. The second satellite will be launched mid next year.
    Edit: I can't wait for them to start transferring people to the new sat as it should free up bandwidth on iPStar & D2 for existing customers.
    Also I wonder if some will stay on the old sats as the max download speed of 6mbps isn't that slow for some people?
    Last edited by Tiny; 13-11-15 at 09:32 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks Tiny, I was only a Zero out, hardly worth mentioning is it............
    Now I have wireless, it will take a lot for me to go back to satellite as it is at the moment but depending on what it costs per GB and what 'Lag/Latency' applies could make the difference.
    In support of even the current crop of satellite Internet ISP's, its a damn sight better than Dial Up ever was.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Update on Sky Muster.
    Wednesday, 23 December 2015
    A note from Tony Bundrock, Activ8me CEO
    23rd December, 2015

Sky Muster plans are nearly here!
    I know you have all been patiently waiting in anticipation for the new nbn satellite plans to be announced. On the 18th December, nbn sent Activ8me the updated usage policy which will allow for better usage allowance for our customers. We have been working on Sky Muster plans and will release these at the start of the New Year.
    We have varied customer usage requirements across our large customer base and have developed a range of plans suited to basic internet use, up to larger plans for those customers running small businesses from their home and long distance education requirements.
    nbn have also released a consultation paper on an education port for Sky Muster. This consultation paper is still a work in progress and addresses the data requirements that customers with children may face with homework tasks or distance education requirements.
    This paper is still in draft form and still requires more work. We will keep you up to date with the latest information regarding the education policy as it comes to hand.
    Commencement of testing on the new nbn satellite following
    Sky Muster’s launch into orbit Since on 1st October, it is now safely in orbit at its desired location above New Guinea and new nbn satellite system testing has been set up on the 101 beams across Australia.
    As mentioned in my , Activ8me is one of three companies that will be testing the performance of the new satellite service.
    About 80 Activ8me customers (selected at the discretion of nbn) are currently being fitted with new nbn satellite equipment for beam testing purposes (also referred to as the nbn test phase).
    Currently we are testing the nbn systems for placing and amending customer orders. We have also connected our data network to nbn in preparation for the new satellite services.
    In another milestone during November, we also took delivery of our first new nbn modem and satellite dish. It is great to be among the first providers to receive the new technology equipment so initial testing can commence. We have full connectivity to the satellite system and have been putting the new service through its paces. On the most popular websites, the speed is far superior to ISS, NSS and IPSTAR services and is performing exceptionally well.
    From the 14th – 18th December, we began placing orders for Activ8me satellite field trial customers (selected at the discretion of nbn) to fully test the order fulfilment process. The first installs for the field test customers are scheduled for the week commencing 11 January 2016. Next year, I hope to update you on the progress of the nbn test phase (beam testing) and field trials being conducted throughout December and early next year.
    While we have been working on preparations for testing the new satellite service, I have also been investigating measures for improving performance for our current nbn Interim Satellite Service (ISS) customers. Recently we have been making further changes in our network to improve the browsing experience. We now give normal browsing a higher priority than previously and we give more bandwidth-hungry applications such as peer to peer downloads a lower priority than they had previously. This prioritisation is fine-tuned throughout the day and night to ensure the best experience for all customers.
    With the advent of two new dedicated nbn broadband satellites which will deliver up to a combined 135Gbps of capacity, compared to the current nbn Interim Satellite Service (ISS) with less than 4Gbps of capacity, the new satellites are designed to deliver download speeds of up to 25Mbps – around five times what people are able to access on the current nbn Interim Satellite Service (ISS).
    we have had a very positive response from existing customers who want to get onto the new nbn service. We have hit the ground running on pre-registrations and interested new customers showing the pent-up demand for a quality satellite internet connection with larger data allowances as the dynamic demands of our consumers have changed and evolved over time.
    We have been in consultation with nbn regarding the method for making customer appointments for activation, assurance and migration of existing services. Once the new nbn satellite service is ready for commercial connections, Activ8me will now be able to nominate around 2,000 customers for an upgrade to the new nbn satellite service per month.

You can still register your interest for Sky Muster

If you haven’t yet registered your interest for updates on the new nbn satellite, you can still do so by clicking here. We are taking registrations from everyone, so if you have friends and/or neighbours interested in a new satellite service, please encourage them to register as well.

If you have problems clicking the link above you can register for updates by:

Visiting:

Or, go to the Activ8me website > Click ‘Contact Us’ > Select ‘Register Interest New NBN Satellite’

On behalf of myself and all the staff at Activ8me, I would like to wish you and your families all a Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year. We can’t wait for 2016, the year of Sky Muster!

Tony Bundrock
    CEO, Activ8me

Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Sky Muster Plans ready for order;

Hi,

Activ8me are excited to start the New Year with the release of our new nbn Sky Muster satellite plans. Sky Muster is the new nbn satellite service that offers faster speeds and better quality of service than current satellite services.

With the release of these plans you can sign up to the Sky Muster service in advance of it being released for consumer connections in April 2016. We have selected a plan which we think will suit your requirements.

Please note the installation date for your new nbn satellite service will be booked in at a later date.

To view the new nbn satellite plans and sign up for the new Sky Muster service CLICK HERE.

You will be re-directed to the Activ8me website where you’ll be presented with a plan and information fields that will need to be completed in order for you to complete your signup.

If you have any questions or would like to speak to someone about the plan selection process, please call our Sales team on 13 22 88.

We look forward to getting you connected.

Activ8me
    The plans look Ok in comparison to what we have had.

15Gb peak data with bonus 50GB Off Peak for $39.95/month at speed of 12Mb/s down 1Mb/s up.
    For $5 extra you can get speed up to 25Mb/s down & 5Mb/s up. That's zooming along compared to what I got now.

There was a smaller plan for $5 less, not sure if there is bigger plans, all secretive they are.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (13-01-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Sky Muster Plans ready for order;

The plans look Ok in comparison to what we have had.

15Gb peak data with bonus 50GB Off Peak for $39.95/month at speed of 12Mb/s down 1Mb/s up.
    For $5 extra you can get speed up to 25Mb/s down & 5Mb/s up. That's zooming along compared to what I got now.

There was a smaller plan for $5 less, not sure if there is bigger plans, all secretive they are.
    Those rates are a great change to what I was charged by SkyMesh using IPSTAR.
    Mine was 4GB, split 2GB On and 2GB Off Peak for around a $100 a month.

This is even cheaper than the current wireless mobile B/Band that is now charging $10 per GB.

Tiny, does it say what time of day the 'Bonus 50GB' is available?

I have a couple of neighbours still using IPSTAR as far as I know so I will have to ask them if they have been contacted by the NBN or their ISP relating to being shifted off the present service.

I was also wondering if they will 'open' this service up to cover a selected area/group of users and then wait until the second satellite goes up to add the rest ?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 13-01-16 at 11:40 AM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Those rates are a great change to what I was charged by SkyMesh using IPSTAR.
    Mine was 4GB, split 2GB On and 2GB Off Peak for around a $100 a month.

This is even cheaper than the current wireless mobile B/Band that is now charging $10 per GB.

Tiny, does it say what time of day the 'Bonus 50GB' is available?

I have a couple of neighbours still using IPSTAR as far as I know so I will have to ask them if they have been contacted by the NBN or their ISP relating to being shifted off the present service.

I was also wondering if they will 'open' this service up to cover a selected area/group of users and then wait until the second satellite goes up to add the rest ?
    Oh crap; Gordon if that is correct about SkyMesh you were being ripped off.

I haven't paid more than $40 a month with activ8, with plans changing in value from time to time

Started with them on the old ABG (Australian Broadband Guarantee) system. Then they offered me to upgrade to the NBN interim Sat system which was great at first with speeds of 6Mb/s until it got over subscribed (greedy bastards NBN - not activ8), currently paying for no better than dial up most of the time.

Currently on 10GB anytime (no peak or of peak) for $39.95.

When I was on a peak & off peak plan, I think it was 2GB peak & 5GB off peak & the hours were peak 7am till 11pm, I'm guessing though as my memory is fading with age & what's important to remember, that's why I keep a diary now.

I do remember having to set my PC up to do large downloads (1GB) over night.

As far as contact goes, it's a priority system based on customer usage & reading & responding to emails that ask you to register your intention to subscribe, etc.
    Cheers, Tiny

• Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast