Thread: A Cheap Quality Printer the Canon MP 240

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Default A Cheap Quality Printer the Canon MP 240

I've had some expensive printers in my life costing over $400 5 years ago (all dead with minor work loads) but I have to say this budget $45 Canon MP240 printer we purchased over 6 years ago leaves all for dead and since this is a budget printer I never expected it to print Photo''s like my Epson Stylus Photo R 310 which chokes itself to death if you don't use it on a monthly basis.
    This budget printer printed 6x4 photos as good as the Epson did. Now this $45 printer where so far we have probably spent $1000 on ink cartridge replacement has printed out thousands of A4 bits of paper. It has printed out All, everyone's everything including my Car/TV/ Sat you name it manuals galore. At one stage the prices of these printers became below $40 and still had full size black and color cartridges in them so what we did was we purchased 4 of them yes 4 printers just for the cartridges but only could use one printer at a time lately due to the lack of Win 7/8 64bit drivers but now only today I googled and found that the drivers are now available for win 7 and 8 for a 64 bit O/S.
    Now i'm happy as all computers in the Computer room have there own printer.

Look Here ->
    The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

By the way I only ever cleaning the heads of this existing printer once in the time we have had it. The Newly commissioned printers from today all got new ink tanks and I cleaned them once.

Thanks

It's nice to hear that Canon have deigned to release 64-bit drivers for at least some older products. I'm still dark on Canon for failing to release 64-bit / Windows 7 drivers for some of their old cameras and printers. It got very old, having to pull the CF card out of my old D-SLR camera to download images on Windows 7.

If you print lots of stuff on a bubble jet printer, you might like to look at "continuous ink flow" systems. Costs a bit to set up, but can save a lot of money.

I gave up on colour printers years ago, after having (I guess) similar experiences to you with other printers. I don't print much, but I found that every time I powered up the Canon printer I bought in 2005, it would hoof through lots of expensive ink doing a cleaning cycle. Turn printer on, print a couple of pages, turn printer off... and next thing, it wanted a new colour ink tank... then another one... and I was mostly printing black and white. I thought: "bugger this" and threw the damn thing out - even though it was working. I bought a second hand LaserJet 4100dtn off eBay, chucked a new / genuine cartridge in it to restore good print quality and nearly ten years later, it's still going strong on that toner cartridge. My Windows and Linux machines just see it on the LAN and print to it. Even SWMBO's Mac prints to it with no fuss. If I need colour, I can always get it printed at Harvey Norman or a camera shop.

Thanks

The Epson Stylus R310 used more ink cleaning the damm heads than printing 5 photos out. It use to block the heads/lines anything over say 2 to 4 weeks of no use and it was like this from the day I purchased it. The Canon MP240 has only had its heads cleaned via the Maintenance option only once in 6 years and I connected two of the other three to other computers and all I did was stick cartridges in them and fired them up and cleaned the heads for the first time in about 5 years of sitting in there boxes in a moist garage. I wonder if anyone makes such quality today for such a low price. Back in the days that when these printers were sold some said that maybe they should give you the printer for free and slug you for there cartridges but this printer has only two cartridges being one black and one color and its not a thirsty printer by any point. The Epson Stylus R310 Has 6 Cartridges and even when you put it into the Eco mode it still drinks the Ink on all those cartridges. Yep six versus two on the canon and the canons cartridges like what most were years ago were easily refilled, it just a case that I lost the refill box somewhere around the house and it was easier this time just to go to Woolworth and buy two combo packs of cartridges

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    It's nice to hear that Canon have deigned to release 64-bit drivers for at least some older products.
    Yes it was from Canon itself

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Grrrrr, this topic is well timed, have ink tanks and my Epson WF-3640 stops continuously advising me the ink tanks have run out and i have to reset it again and again and again, just as a matter of fact i just reset it. losing my humor
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

My experience with inkjets is as shred has suggested, too much trouble if they are not used regularly. I Bought 3 printers at auction for $15. One was a huge colour laser printer that had a firmware issue more's the pity so I tossed that, of the other two, one was a Brother Laser fax machine and prints just about anything I need (mono only), I've not needed any toner yet and have been using it infrequently for over 6 months. the other printer was a Brother MFC which may print if I replace one cartridge but all I use it for is scanning documents. The only tool that I do miss is the ability to print CD/DVDs.

Thanks

The Epson Stylus R310 even using the eco mode to save ink it painted the photos to wet as if you touched them say within 5-10 seconds after printing they would smudge. Late yesterday arvo I printed 4 more photos using the Canon of the Main TV Room with my EDF Jets hanging off the ceiling and they were instantly dry after ejecting them. Now its Winters and it was Raining if that is more a reason why they should take more time to dry.
    The Epson R310 was a good printer for printing CD's It was fair for printing text but again the black cartridge would not last that long. What puzzles me is the color ink tank on the Canon MP240 has all colors in one small tank compared to the Epson having so many color Tanks and I can't say or remember ever saying that the tanks on the Epson lasting a long time so where was the ink going.
    Final note for this Expensive Epson Printer. I was Sick of Cleaning the Heads as 99% of the time we were to lazy to clean the Heads as we only used it 2 to 4 weeks earlier only to use it and waste anything from one shit of photo glossy paper up to about 10 in a row as the wife Packed, Stacked the photo's and walked away only for her to come back once all photo's were printed but to find them pink. Funny thing was the 4th canon Printer I gave it to my Daughter but she could never get it going so late yesterday after getting the other two going I had a look at it why it was printing clean paper. Gruuuuuu She forgot to remove that sticky clear plastic on the bottom of both ink tanks. I tested it and it printed ok.