Thread: iGO8 - A few tips and a few Questions

Thanks

Talking iGO8 - A few tips and a few Questions

As a user of an old 4x4 doing some off road and beach work, TomTom has been a useful tool. Not perfect, but easy to use and to manage / update. It also ran on my old Ipaq and later my cheep Mio. Tried most of the others PC and PAD systems and while they had some good points.. did not cut it for me. For pure off road work or out at sea etc, then there are some good special systems, that leave TomTom for dead.

Note: I am not pushing up files if available else where, as I am not chasing download points / scores. Also many of these tips come from other forums.. Search on the key words and you will get there.

Lots of chat as to iGO8.. So here goes.

MAP: Australia R14 Sensis [071119].
    iGO8: 8.0.0.44366
    Mio: P350

1: PDA vs PNA be aware... Setup and Install instruction can be a little different. If modding after the install (TTS for eg.) then with the PDA, you may have to un-install iGO8 and reinstall to regester the new dll's.

2: TTS voices are soft: I've got the TTS voices installed ( Kate Hi-Quality) but the volume of that TTS voice is so much quieter than the other non-TTS voices... Do a search for ( Eng_LoqTTS_Profiles_Mod_HighVolume ) have yet to confirm, but reports are OK. I need it, as the truck is a rattler.

3: Hate the tone / ding prior to each voice direction.

A: Edit the sys.txt file to include;

[sound]
    ding=0

OR

go to you SD/iGO8/data.zip file and open and edit the audio folder by removing the !nav_ding.wav file. I find WinRar to be a good little tool.

You could re record it by your wife and have her say ... " I said " that would make a great prefix. "I SAID .. Take the next LEFT"

4: Does not say all streets by name.. Can be a road code ie. M17

I will assume you are using the Susan EnglishUS voice but if not, the principle remains the same. Swap the "US"for "relevant code ie. UK AU etc.

Go to relevent file ie. a file named "EnglishUs6.9.lex". and copy it to your PC or bake a backup. Open the lex file with notepad on your PC.

Add a line anywhere within the lex file: "M17" = "Milton Road"

Include the quotes and space before and after the equal sign.

Now on your Vogue, find the original EnglishUs6.9.lex file located on your microSD card\iGO8\tts_loq|EnglishUs folder. Rename it to something else so that the modified file will not replace it. Copy the modified lex file to the same folder and start iGO8.

Plan a route traveling to Milton Rd so that the route will enter Milton Rd at some point. Use the "slow" route simulation so that you will hear the voice guidance (in the Route Menu, click on the car icon on the bottom right of the screen).
    Note: You can get it wrong:

If anyone is annoyed that the street name is not spoken whenever it is associated with a number, one can modify the lex file to change the number to a more familiar name.
    For example:

Lakewood Blvd (19) TTS would says ---> "19" but changing the lex file to:

"19" = "Lakewood Boulevard", TTS will now say Lakewood Boulevard rather than the highway number.

One needs to be careful though. In California, Hwy 1 is the Pacific Coast Highway and when I put the following in the lex file:

"1" = "Pacific Coast Highway", it would work fine when I was on PCH but if any term with "1" needed to be spoken, such as turn right in "1" mile, it would say turn right in "Pacific Coast Highway" mile. LOL.
    5: POI's: Yet to master POI's and why it trys to hide some. Even the Manual admits to this. Needs more work in this area..

6: Speed limits: I can not get it to display the speed limits - warns if exceeding, but only when it knows what they are. Not all in QLD are speed identified, thus not so useful. Too many symbols..

TomTom was much better here for me.

7: Speed display: It is displayed when driving with no route planned, but it goes when I have a route planned ? WTF... Confuses me

8: Camera warning: Every thing checked.. but no sound at Traffic light with Camera ? [Opps PEBKAC] this issue is now fixed.

9: Accuracy: Needs more testing. However it does bother me that unless I check the option to keep the car on the road... I can be up to 15 - 20M away on the map from where I actually am ? I was coming down a road to-day and my car symbol was on teh other side of train tracks.... Flicked over to TomTom and all was OK... Map issue and on most roads here. If ya car is on the rd, look for a little dot close buy... That is the actual GPS position.

10: Ease of use: Further testing required.. Not as intuitive as I expected.

11: Auto Day and night: Love it .. Just need the School time to be recognised, including Mon to Friday: so that the warnings are relevant.

12: Trip computer: Some may find a use.. In general I would not, but could be when reviewing a trip. Record and track is good for beach work and off road. But have to de select, keep car on road.

13: Menu : Got to get out of TomTom mode. However wife was unable to use teh iGO8 and my Son and Daughter (they are both geeks and coders) also had issues.

14: Sats and pick up: Faster than TomTom at start up and appears to pick them up / recover quicker after being off for a little while. Does tend to drop out more than TomTom. Not sure why..

15: Planing and setting a route: Loved all the different options.

Over all, not as impressed as I first thought. Better than most ... Time will tell.

In the short term, it looks like I might be running both iGO8 and TomTOM 7. Give me a couple of weeks or a 10 day fishing or bush trip and that will then demonstrate which suits my needs. For the guy next door, it could be a different story.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Thanks for the modification of the file, never thought of doing that. I cant be stuffed now I've learnt all the codes for the streets I use, and if I'm going somewhere, where it might be useful I'll use MioMap.

Nice write up.
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Thanks

Check this site out to change the skin and have more options to play with, even have the Speed Camera Alert tell you the speed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz808 View Post
    Check this site out to change the skin and have more options to play with, even have the Speed Camera Alert tell you the speed
    Tried a few skins and while some improvements... it often means hacking and changing files etc... That means I will stuff up at some stage and do my self over :-)

However I have been looking at some of the sys and ini files etc as that is often where some of teh extra settings are hidden... But it is not always so simple. Tried the latest TT skin and while some of it was a improvement, in general the default iGO8 skin is fine...

Thanks for the link... I am sure that others may well make use of it..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by comp_dad View Post
    2: TTS voices are soft: I've got the TTS voices installed ( Kate Hi-Quality) but the volume of that TTS voice is so much quieter than the other non-TTS voices... Do a search for ( Eng_LoqTTS_Profiles_Mod_HighVolume ) have yet to confirm, but reports are OK. I need it, as the truck is a rattler.
    Try this one out, they are English TTS voices modified with high Volume/Gain. Now you can crank your radio up! Works for me

Cheers
    Kingie05

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingie05 View Post
    Try this one out, they are English TTS voices modified with high Volume/Gain. Now you can crank your radio up! Works for me

Cheers
    Kingie05
    Yep that the files I used...

After a big day and some driving involved... I have issues with iGO8 or with the quality of the maps wtc.

1: Speed limits on roads seem to be far and few around my area.. The odd 40 appears in some school zones..
    2: Screen info changes if you plan a route or just have it in idle mode...
    3: Pop ups and warnings are some times confusing...
    4: I hate the POI management... Appears that my POI file ( Obtained on this forum) may be significantly out of date or just lacking. Tourist attractions etc are empty. Hospitals etc are also empty..

Worse still,I have two POI files so it is an issue as to which the system is using. Important note: Some upload and rename (no text file or info provided) and without a POI editor it is had to know which one is the best etc etc.. I guess an issue that comes with free POI's.

I also have two maps in the map directory.... How do I know which one it is using ? If I go OS, (some times more that I would like) how do I switch maps ? Opps, not on the fly, like TomTom.

I niece feature:

When not in a planned mode, when driving along, the numbers of the houses appear on the RH and LH side of the bar at the bottom.. Confused me at first, but was handy when I was looking for a particular number..

A nice touch

Overall, I think TomTom 7 will be my main system for many reasons.. iGO8 is almost there but has some work to do yet... Will keep as a backup, for the moment.

Others may be extremely happy and if it suits their style and needs, then that is great..

Thanks

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by comp_dad View Post
    As a user of an old 4x4 doing some off road and beach work, TomTom has been a useful tool. Not perfect, but easy to use and to manage / update. It also ran on my old Ipaq and later my cheep Mio. Tried most of the others PC and PAD systems and while they had some good points.. did not cut it for me. For pure off road work or out at sea etc, then there are some good special systems, that leave TomTom for dead.

Note: I am not pushing up files if available else where, as I am not chasing download points / scores. Also many of these tips come from other forums.. Search on the key words and you will get there.

Lots of chat as to iGO8.. So here goes.

MAP: Australia R14 Sensis [071119].
    iGO8: 8.0.0.44366
    Mio: P350

1: PDA vs PNA be aware... Setup and Install instruction can be a little different. If modding after the install (TTS for eg.) then with the PDA, you may have to un-install iGO8 and reinstall to regester the new dll's.

3: Hate the tone / ding prior to each voice direction.

A: Edit the sys.txt file to include;

[sound]
    ding=0

OR

go to you SD/iGO8/data.zip file and open and edit the audio folder by removing the !nav_ding.wav file. I find WinRar to be a good little tool.

You could re record it by your wife and have her say ... " I said " that would make a great prefix. "I SAID .. Take the next LEFT"

4: Does not say all streets by name.. Can be a road code ie. M17

Note: You can get it wrong:

5: POI's: Yet to master POI's and why it trys to hide some. Even the Manual admits to this. Needs more work in this area..

6: Speed limits: I can not get it to display the speed limits - warns if exceeding, but only when it knows what they are. Not all in QLD are speed identified, thus not so useful. Too many symbols..

TomTom was much better here for me.

7: Speed display: It is displayed when driving with no route planned, but it goes when I have a route planned ? WTF... Confuses me

8: Camera warning: Every thing checked.. but no sound at Traffic light with Camera ? [Opps PEBKAC] this issue is now fixed.

9: Accuracy: Needs more testing. However it does bother me that unless I check the option to keep the car on the road... I can be up to 15 - 20M away on the map from where I actually am ? I was coming down a road to-day and my car symbol was on teh other side of train tracks.... Flicked over to TomTom and all was OK... Map issue and on most roads here. If ya car is on the rd, look for a little dot close buy... That is the actual GPS position.

10: Ease of use: Further testing required.. Not as intuitive as I expected.

11: Auto Day and night: Love it .. Just need the School time to be recognised, including Mon to Friday: so that the warnings are relevant.

12: Trip computer: Some may find a use.. In general I would not, but could be when reviewing a trip. Record and track is good for beach work and off road. But have to de select, keep car on road.

13: Menu : Got to get out of TomTom mode. However wife was unable to use teh iGO8 and my Son and Daughter (they are both geeks and coders) also had issues.

14: Sats and pick up: Faster than TomTom at start up and appears to pick them up / recover quicker after being off for a little while. Does tend to drop out more than TomTom. Not sure why..

15: Planing and setting a route: Loved all the different options.

Over all, not as impressed as I first thought. Better than most ... Time will tell.

In the short term, it looks like I might be running both iGO8 and TomTOM 7. Give me a couple of weeks or a 10 day fishing or bush trip and that will then demonstrate which suits my needs. For the guy next door, it could be a different story.
    As a new GPS owner #4 above is one that really bugs me. I hate hearing numbers instead of street names, however, I don't feel confident enough or am sure I understand the instructions above that might rectify this. Might have to wait til I become a little more GPS savvy although I do know my way around computers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mildew View Post
    As a new GPS owner #4 above is one that really bugs me. I hate hearing numbers instead of street names, however, I don't feel confident enough or am sure I understand the instructions above that might rectify this. Might have to wait til I become a little more GPS savvy although I do know my way around computers.
    You might have to wait till your son comes to visit next rofl

Thanks

Please any one can help me how to setup speedcamera work on IGO8 for Australia in sys.txt
    Thank you

Thanks

can anyone help me with getting IGO8 on my Mio C520 working with TMC? no TMC events. think it is something to do with the tmc-key or something like that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by creaper View Post
    You might have to wait till your son comes to visit next rofl

Thanks

can anybody tell me if it is possible to change the driving arrow symbol to say a car? in iGo8 and how if it can be done???

Thanks

Goto and dl the diMka skin skin. It's the best. You'll be able to dl igo 8 there too.