Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: UBER - Being an Uber Driver?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Correct.
    What's correct? Sometimes I think you just reply for the sake of replying because once again you haven't read what i posted.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    What's correct? Sometimes I think you just reply for the sake of replying because once again you haven't read what i posted.

Leroy
    Classic, read your own question, i answered it. Maybe a Yes would have been more simple.
    For one, half way through your post, you answered your own question, two, i answered the last question.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 01-07-15 at 10:43 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

"who has used this service? Just looking at joining up and you have to hand ovver your credit card details. How does one pay for trips?
    I got a quote and they give you 2 prices. Can you select which service you want to use?"

who has used this service? - correct - is this the right answer?
    oh wait it's Just looking at joining up and you have to hand ovver your credit card details. - correct - or maybe this is correct
    I got a quote and they give you 2 prices. Can you select which service you want to use? - correct - or no it's this one that is correct
    How does one pay for trips? - correct -

Yeh a classic all right, you answered the post well.

Leroy
    Last edited by LeroyPatrol; 01-07-15 at 10:47 PM.
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member
    Thanks

Maybe its not for you then

When you sign up, its all explained to you.
    Otherwise, this site seems to answer all your questions:

Or maybe this is easier

PAYMENT
    The use of the Application and the Service is free of charge. Uber reserves the right to introduce a fee for the use of the Application and/or the Service. If Uber decides to introduce such a fee, Uber shall inform you accordingly and allow you to either continue or terminate the Contract.
    The rates that apply for the transportation services by the Transportation Provider can be found on the Website and through the Application. These may be modified or updated by Uber from time to time. It is your own responsibility to remain informed about the current rates for the transportation services.
    Uber shall charge you for the transportation services provided to you by the Transportation Provider on behalf of the Transportation Provider. You agree that you will pay for all transportation services you purchase from the Transportation Provider, and that Uber may charge your credit card account as provided by you when registering for the Service for the transportation services (including any taxes and late fees, as applicable) that may be accrued by or in connection with your account. You are responsible for the timely payment of all fees and for providing Uber with a valid credit card account for payment of all fees at all times. Any payment made is non-refundable.
    Uber uses a third-party payment processor (the "Payment Processor") to link your credit card account to the Application and Service. The processing of payments or credits, as applicable, in connection with your use of the Application and Service will be subject to the terms, conditions and privacy policies of the Payment Processor and your credit card issuer in addition to these User Terms. Uber is not responsible for any errors by the Payment Processor. In connection with your use of the Services, Uber will obtain certain transaction details, which Uber will use solely in accordance with its Privacy and Cookie Notice.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 01-07-15 at 10:59 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

'When you sign up, its all explained to you.'

Unlike you I'm not happy to pass over my credit card details so readily.

Leroy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    9 years or newer actually.....

The guy over the road from me has Taxi style (VHB?) plates and does limo (just a late model statesman) work.

He jumped onto Uber to fill in extra work between jobs.
    I'd imagine for him it would be quite legal, have no issues with insurance etc, for guys like this would be a great way to earn something extra when he might otherwise be idle and not making money

Premium Member
    Thanks

This explians the Uber process

You'll find some info about Uber in Australia in the middle of this show

(Skip to 10min)

and some more here

Last edited by ol' boy; 02-07-15 at 04:51 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jok11n View Post
    I'd imagine for him it would be quite legal, have no issues with insurance etc, for guys like this would be a great way to earn something extra when he might otherwise be idle and not making money
    You tick a box when you sign up now if you are an existing Taxi Service.
    I'm not sure if this then allows to be an Uber Black driver, or if you are still UberX

It's not just Uber either, there are a lot of similar services just waiting in the wings or trying to get noticed.
    Lyft and Moovit are 2 such services.
    If Uber pushes into the Australian Market and gets laws changed, then you can expect a swag of these "Ride Sharing" type solutions to hit the market.

You only have to look at the explosion in Airport Parking Services that offer shuttle buses to see whats going to happen.

In KL last year, every young person used MyTeksi (its an App), it was a good way of getting around the very dodgy local Taxi system where they don't want to use the Meter.
    Its been used there for several years now. They also have Uber now too.
    The Local Taxi system in KL is such a scam, everyone is in for a cut, with hidden prices everywhere. A system like Uber at least cleans that up.
    This is not such an issue in Oz, as we have professional Taxi's.

Melbourne Airport to the City

KLIA to Sentral

Interesting Article on Airport pick ups

Look out for all the other Ride Sharing Services popping up, Richard Branson has tipped $15Million into "Sidecar".

Uber Black
    UberX
    Lyft
    Sidecar
    BlaBlaCar (non-profit)

Looks like the next thing to sweep the world.
    So back to the topic, i guess with so much competition, being a driver will not be very lucrative.

I can see a better solution, is a service where by you log your route (a place you are already going anyway), then people choose to ride with you for a fee.
    Because its mental the amount of wasted assets on our roads, the amount of single person per vehicle, traffic congestion and fuel costs.
    Its a logical market to break into. Drivers recoup some costs, passengers get a discount fair, the environment has a small win.

The next to get hit will be the "Freight Transportation Sector", look out Man with a Van.... here comes Mum with a SUV.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 02-07-15 at 09:11 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (02-07-15),VroomVroom (02-07-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    There is a little more to it than meets the eye.

Its currently not legal to do what they are offering, a bunch of Uber drivers recently got texts for jobs, attended them professionally and a short time later got a nice $7500 fine in the mail for driving a car for hire without the right plates, it was a sting to pull the drivers in and find out who some were.
    Yep, thats what I was alluding to earlier.

There are major questions over legality and some governments have banned it outright. Given the high price of our taxi licensing system, I wouldnt be surprised if we follow.

While you may be able to get away with a 10 year old car, consumers are fussy. From memory, you can request the same driver/vehicle ? If so, you could have the nicest guy in the world with his 10 year old car and someone thats polite enough with a brand new card with some luxuries.

I know what I would pick

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yep, 2006 BMW 7 series over some guy in 2014 Subaru any day of the week!
    (Both would cost the same purchase price, the BMW may even be cheaper)

Uber is banned in South Australia too.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 02-07-15 at 03:24 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

admin (02-07-15),VroomVroom (02-07-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    This explians the Uber process

You'll find some info about Uber in Australia in the middle of this show

(Skip to 10min)

and some more here

Too late found my solution.

Leroy

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I thought the Taxi industry in NSW was fairly tightly regulated as to the condition and cleanliness of the vehicle, all drivers are to wear a uniform that must be neat and tidy along with personal grooming or penalties can be imposed.
    I know in the recent past lots of complaints were made against the Taxi Industry (mainly Sydney CBD) in general forcing them to 'Clean up the act' so I cant see them not pressuring the Government to put the skids under this 'Uber' option.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I thought the Taxi industry in NSW was fairly tightly regulated as to the condition and cleanliness of the vehicle, all drivers are to wear a uniform that must be neat and tidy along with personal grooming or penalties can be imposed.
    Is it any different to Melbourne's ?

Unroadworthy cars driven my migrants who dont speak english, who refuse fares they dont like, usually stink badly, are dangerous drivers and try to con on to any female passenger.

Thats the majority, I didnt include the bad ones

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (02-07-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

I remember taking a few cabs in Sydney and boy were they 1000 times better than what i got in Melbourne, in fact after my last cab ride here i would rather take my chances and hitch a ride or use public transport.

Melbourne cabs are the bottom of the pits, i can see how Uber would be a winner here with the public.

I can also understand why cabs and the Govt is up in arms about it, cabs have some well deserved competition and the Govt is trying to protect a licensing system that they make a lot of money out of.

With Uber, both dont make a cent......

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

admin (02-07-15),Tiny (02-07-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

The last few Taxis i caught in Melbourne, after chatting the driver, i find out its not even his cab, he is just driving for a friend.
    Does he even have a Taxi Licence? OR even a Drivers Licence? What the hell......
    All required us to direct them, certainly weren't born here, and didn't make for the most relaxing of journeys with erratic braking and lane changing.

In saying that, i've also had a few real nice blokes too, that said "i'lll let you our here and you can run across the road, it will save you heaps in me getting over there".

And i don't think you can solely blame Uber or another Share Ride Service for killing Taxis.
    Just speak to anyone thats owned a Taxi Licence in the past 5 years! They are not happy campers.
    Losing hundreds of thousands in the worth of their Licence's because of the Government and no one else.

Ride Sharing is coming, whether the law makers want it or not.
    Its too big to ignore, its global, its logical and provides 1000's of jobs, using an asset you already own.

Same as Air BnB, all these Asset Sharing concepts are taking off and the world is loving them.
    The world is moving on, people are smart, people shop for price and connivence.
    I'm 100% positive, it will be as common as Low Cost Airlines in 1 or 2 years time, likely not even that long.
    Company's like Uber probably relish in the bad press and media, as it only pushes their case to the fore, where some Law Makers will amend things to allow them to trade, purely due to public pressure to have these services available to them.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 02-07-15 at 07:02 PM.

Thanks

I remember around a decade ago at my old work, we had a Iraqi working there who had a cousin with a cab.

He use to fill in on weekends working for extra cash, didnt have a cab license, didnt care, his Cousin told him its OK and to just make out he is his cousin, who would know......

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (02-07-15),Tiny (02-07-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

i have seen the NSW Dept of Transport conduct the occaisonal raid on licenced Taxi drivers , i wonder if they can do the same for Uber drivers?

• The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

Tiny (02-07-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    i have seen the NSW Dept of Transport conduct the occaisonal raid on licenced Taxi drivers , i wonder if they can do the same for Uber drivers?
    I wonder how you even spot them, as it just looks like someone is dropping a friend off.
    No money changes hands, its all done via your phone.

Whats the difference between an Uber ride and Dropping your kids off at the pub, or picking them up?
    I guess when you don't hug them and tell them to be safe

Plenty of these listing on Gumtree, 100's of them.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 02-07-15 at 08:54 PM.

Thanks

Easy, as explained in some articles on the web where some drivers copped a $7500 fine, whoever is catching them has the app and simply arranges a ride, notes the number plate when getting in or out, does not tell a word about it to the driver, vehicle owner simply gets a fine in the mail.

Hang on, come to think about it, what if you did run Uber through a rental vehicle, being a rental, its a car for hire?

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (02-07-15),station-rat (03-07-15),Tiny (03-07-15),VroomVroom (03-07-15)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

The car-service UBER is nothing else than a pyramid scheme, means it is an unsustainable business model that involves promising participants payment or services, primarily for enrolling other people into the scheme, rather than supplying any real investment or sale of products or services to the public.

Actually due to the fact UBER is a form of pyramid schemes, UBER is considered to be illegal in many countries including the United States, Brazil and numerous European countries. In India, a ban is currently being considered.

The time will come when UBER, the car service that is not a car service, collapses.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 03-07-15 at 05:54 PM.

• Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast