Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bigger Faster Stronger Anabolic Steriods Doco

Thanks

Default Bigger Faster Stronger Anabolic Steriods Doco

Hi All,

With the Olympics games here this caught my eye, and I thought it was worth mentioning.

This doco is about anabolic steroids in sporting professions. The guy that presents this documentary shows how he and his 3 brothers have been affected by this drug.

It covers a really wide range of topics which I was pleasantly surprised ranging from Pro wrestling.. to the Olympic games to students using enhancements to learn to the US military and even to music.

I found the presentation of this documentary actually extremely well done. As a viewer I could sympathise with his position and moral questioning on the use of performance enhancing drugs as both his brothers have taken the drug to get results to which he questions the need for them to do so.

Taken at face value, It opened my eyes to many viewpoints from professional athletes/coaches and he makes several "jibs" at the hypocrisy of the media's/governments stance on this topic.

The reporting was of high quality as he never really pushes for or against one particular position but clearly he fears for his brothers life as shown in the last 10 minutes

To a certain extent you get the feeling that he is disappointed in the US ideology of success and that winning at all cost mentality.

In so far as, he explains how as a child he was chubby and that his hero's were Hulk Hogan, Sylvester Stallone and how he looked up to them and believed that there words of train hard, eat well and you can look like this, only to find out that all his boyhood heroes had been on the "juice". and then off course his questioning of would these successful people be were they are now if they did not do anabolic steroids.

This documentary although based on the topic, actually covers more than that I felt.

He touches on the supplements market and lack of regulation he even creates his own supplement that cost little to nothing to make, that would sell in stores for $60, as well as body image and how print media manipulation has become more prevalent over the years. an example shown was how the GI Joe doll has changed in body shape from the 70's through until the 90's

All through out this doco you get those that agree with the taking of drugs in sport to those that don't believe in drug taking, He challenges the medical advice that steroids kill (he does show what side affects can happen for both males and females) but is balanced out by interviewing a father that believes his son was ultimately killed by steroid abuse (when coming off the drug)

All in all I would say worth a watch... unfortunately for me I will be watching the Beijing Games with my sceptical hat on!

films that plain suck
    -------------------------------
    Belly 2... (i think this is an older film)
    based on G Units life (50cent fame), seriously in this film the guy does everything bar save the world. Its truly an ego wank and proves that if you have $$ you can make a film that IMHO has little evidence of real life but more about being a tarted up gangsta if for a second this was true (for which the film states is based on a real story) then he is a pure criminal and deserves to be hung.. so unless you like silly try hard gansta movies or your going through puberty you can give this a miss

Ninja Cheerleaders... I had to turn off 1/2 way through, poor poor poor... just silly I should have known... nuff said

Pretty Little Devils 2... the lesser of 3 evils, poor but watchable. the crap that comes out of the US is so bad. Perhaps this film cost little to make and will re cope the revenue in DVD rentals... but absolutely offers no value, I guess if your a fan of Tom Green (I think thats his name) perhaps watch it even though his role is minor really.
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

It is fairly interesting. Must be hard for the "clean" people to compete with a majority, what chance do you have.
    You pretty well have to juice up to even compete at this level now.

Did you see the doco on natgeo about the guy whose arm exploded?
    What happens if I press alt + F4?

Thanks

No have not seen it, but that pic looks like the guy in this doco... Jeckle and hyde or something was his company.... yeah thats what I got from this too you just cant compete (at that level) without being on something, This guys brother benches 705 pounds which is a massive weight....also he talks to ben johnson who was stripped of gold and given to the other guy (heheh cant remember his name right now geez thats bad) and then goes to the drug testing facility which has documentation on his failing of drug tests according to doco the term "inadvertently took" was created to allow this guy to keep his gold medal...
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks

Sounds great. Where'd you get hold of this, z1g?

Thanks

pm slickstu

Thanks

slick, torrents dude. I'm sure rob has mentioned the one and only torrent site

Thanks

I did not know whether I could publicly post it in this thread or not??

Thanks

Cheers guys. Unfortunately my pitifully low download limit (1Gb) prevents me from performing downloads of that size. Will see if I can find the DVD.

Thanks

1Gb, thats a few hours. DOH!
    Time for a new isp

Thanks

Would if I could, mate. Sadly, NextG is the only broadband service available to me.

Thanks

Slick, I'll be glad to send you a copy COD just for postage (for evaluation purposes only!!)

Thanks

^ Check your PM, mate.

Thanks

Slick there's always 3 more options.

1. War driving.
    2. Get a dialup account and let it leech your torrents overnight. Slow but sure.
    3. Satellite internet.

If I were you i'd go wireless war driving or if you get enough "gear" you might be able to set something up at home with a spare sat dish pointed at a neighbour's house.

There's always another way...

Thanks

back on track..

another very good doco about steroid abuse, that with the man who's arms exploded 'greg valentino' shown above. are both must watch's for anyone competing or even watching elite athletes.

Thanks

Just a quick post.... on Nat Geo there is a show right now called Steroids Building Bigger, which is very ANTI , but shows many of the experts and characters from the doco.... might be replayed during the week for any body interested

Thanks

I evaluated this yesterday (cheers z1gg33 ) and I agree with you guys - it's very interesting. I think that Chris Bell's presentation is fairly amateurish but it has it's own appeal (much like Morgan Spurlock) and the content is definitely there which is what is most important. It's a very balanced doco showing all points of view which is great (this is not the kind of movie Michael Moore would make!) And this segment was interesting......

Haha, both those photos were shot in the same day!
    The use of "beta blockers" by classical musician was interesting also.

But I think there was a point which was obvious to me but I think Bell failed to make. You get the distinct impression that Chris feels that he couldn't be at the top of his game without resorting to drugs and he was forced to quash his dreams because he couldn't hurdle that moral conundrum. But the thing is both his brothers used drugs but they also had been unable achieve their goals! I think the moral to the story which they all fail to see is that the steroids ain't making a difference.

I may get to see this on the big screen yet as it has been included on this years Film Fantastic programme.

Thanks

great post Slick.... always good to hear from you, glad you got something out of it...

Thanks

I've been in and out of gyms for the past 20 years and seen many things, but one thing that consistently sticks out like Mr Jekells biceps is that the people who are on steroids seem to have the right look (ie, cut, bulging muscles in the right places), but lack a lot of physical strength. And the people who are 100% natural appear to look reasonably well defined and can lift more weight than they appear to be capable of.

Then you have people who take the roids and don't put the work in at the gym, who look like they are superhuman in size, are complete wimps, and have no tone at all.

It's not hard to spot what type of person is what.
    Mr Jekell = roids and gym time
    Chris, the guy in the doco = natural
    Mad-dog, chris's brother = roids and not enough gym time.

Interesting documentary though.

Thanks

Yeah I watched it the other day as well, makes me want to get on the juice.. they kind of down played the affects of it. Both had jobs and wives.

So what was the docco called where his arm explodes, is it the same dude in BFS?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by biggeorge View Post
    I've been in and out of gyms for the past 20 years .
    Is that how BigGeorge got so big?
    It's hard to make a come back when I havn't been anywhere
    I finally got my head together, now my bodies falling apart.
    為什麼不做你被塞滿

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast