Thread: wrx powersteering issue

Thanks

Default wrx powersteering issue

hi guys just need some help the mrs daily drivers steering has been playing up making a whining noise so looked at power steering fluid and its pretty dirty sso decided to take as much out of reservoir then top it up with new disconnect the return line from the tank, remove ignition fuse and get the mrs to wind the car over while slowly turning the wheel thus pumping the old stuff into a bucket. I watched the tank get close to empty and top up and repeat the process until power steering fluid is back to normal colour again and used about 1.8 litres. im pretty sure no air got in the line as I watched it the whole time and after everything back together we turned full right then left a heap of times and couldn't see any air bubbles coming through in the fluid. I still have that whinning sound especially when cold put now sometimes its like the power steering cuts in and out ie easy to turn around corner and half around it gets heavier for a brief second or it shudders? car has 140000 on the clock. is the power steering stuffed? I have seen some videos on youtube and they all talk about an o ring around the top of the pump and they all say it stoped there whining steering? there is no fluid or any sign of wheeping around the area so not sure about that. just wanted to know if anyone else has something I can try before I have to spend dollars on the shitbox

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

The on off bit is most likely air still in the system.

Put the front wheels up in the air, turn the steering wheel all the way full lock left and right slowly with the engine off about 20 times.

If its still there after doing that and driving it for a few days (to get out any air missed), its new power steering pump time my friend.....

Im unsure about orings causing the issue, unless its WRX specific, could be a case of a oring leting air in im guessing but wherever air gets in oil should be getting out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

whirring sound could also be the vanes in the pump grinding away on a scored surface. can you feel any roughness when you turn the pump by hand?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

Either pump is stuffed or there is some sort of restriction in the system. Are there any valves in the system ?
    Maybe a dodgy pressure relief/bypass valve ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hoe; 10-07-15 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks

was going to check that tomorrow hoe also according to my local mechanic there is a filter inside the reservoir as well that can build up crap was going to try all the little things before I fork out for a new pump at $400

Thanks

I have a Forester and it had a whine and the hiss which goes in the top of the pump had a clamp which you use pliers to loosen was old and I replaced it as it was letting air in the system with a screw type clamp and changed fluid and jacked the car up and turned the wheels left and right quite a few times. Once all done no more whine.