Thread: Asus 200e bootmsgr missing file on start up

Thanks

Default Asus 200e bootmsgr missing file on start up

Just wanted to know does any one know how to fix a bootmsgr file?

I get this when I start the computer up missing bootmsgr press crtl alt del to restart

I have tried everything to try to fix it with no luck

Even borrow a usb cd dvd drive off a friend so I can try to load windows back on

Thanks

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,225 Times in 1,917 Posts

That would be bootmgr is missing (No "s")

I guess you would have already tried the following?

I'd suggest checking your HDD connections, both at the drive and on the Motherboard first, even swapping out cables as well (if you have spares)

Do you have anything else plugged in to any USB ports? If so remove them.

I'm suggesting to check hardware first as it's easier to check before going down the software path.
    Last edited by Al Bundy; 13-07-15 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

Have you made any changes on the computer prior to the issue?

Don't believe the "Bootmgr is Missing" error shown at notebook's startup is caused by malfunctioning hardware - means technical issues: after notebook's power-on-self-test (POST) having successfully completed, the boot sector (always is created when you format a volume and always is located at sector 1 of each volume) on disk was successfully read - in order to find out which boot loader to be run, then it was tried to load and run the boot loader called "bootmgr.exe" (which in turn runs "winload.exe"). If the message "Bootmgr is Missing" appears, then system has only initially started - at this stage BIOS has detected that the disk is startable - formatted by Windows with core operating system files applied. But it has started: BIOS has loaded the first physical sector of the boot device into memory and transferred CPU execution to that memory address. If the disk is not bootable, the executable boot code displays an error message such as: "Non-System disk or disk error".

That "bootmgr.exe" couldn't be found may have its cause in a disk failure, for example if contents of the disk got corrupted (may be solely in parts ?).

The "bootmgr.exe" file itself is both read-only and hidden and is located in the root directory of the partition marked as Active in Disk Management. On most Windows computers, this partition is labeled as System Reserved and does not have a drive letter. If your computer doesn't have a System Reserved partition, "bootmgr.exe" is probably located on computer's primary drive, usually C:.

BTW:
    To boot your Asus 200e from USB-stick enter the UEFI (press and hold F2 key when power on). Switch to "Boot" and set "Launch CSM" to Enabled. Then switch to "Security" and set "Secure Boot Control" to Disabled. Press F10 to save and exit. Press and hold ESC key to launch boot menu when notebook restarts.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 14-07-15 at 06:17 PM. Reason: typos

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    ....Don't believe the "Bootmgr is Missing" error shown at notebook's startup is caused by malfunctioning hardware....
    On the contrary, I have encountered this issue several times, with both Desktop & Laptop PC's, simply by unplugging external USB HDD's has fixed the problem, and in the case of my own Desktop, a faulty SATA cable was the culprit. I understand in this case that being a Laptop/notebook a SATA cable isn't going to be an issue.

I guess in your case though, if you was a doctor you would perform surgery before checking the patients vitals.....
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Thanks

Have you made any changes on the computer prior to the issue?

Don't believe the "Bootmgr is Missing" error shown at notebook's startup is caused by malfunctioning hardware - means technical issues: after notebook's power-on-self-test (POST) having successfully completed, the boot sector (always is created when you format a volume and always is located at sector 1 of each volume) on disk was successfully read - in order to find out which boot loader to be run, then it was tried to load and run the boot loader called "bootmgr.exe" (which in turn runs "winload.exe"). If the message "Bootmgr is Missing" appears, then Windows OS has only initially started, but it has started!

That "bootmgr.exe" couldn't be found may have its cause in a disk failure, for example if contents of the disk got corrupted (may be solely in parts ?).

The "bootmgr.exe" file itself is both read-only and hidden and is located in the root directory of the partition marked as Active in Disk Management. On most Windows computers, this partition is labeled as System Reserved and does not have a drive letter. If your computer doesn't have a System Reserved partition, "bootmgr.exe" is probably located on computer's primary drive, usually C:.

BTW:
    To boot your Asus 200e from USB-stick enter the UEFI (press and hold F2 key when power on). Switch to "Boot" and set "Launch CSM" to Enabled. Then switch to "Security" and set "Secure Boot Control" to Disabled. Press F10 to save and exit. Press and hold ESC key to launch boot menu when notebook restarts.

your a legend mate I hit esc when booting up to select a boot device and it worked lol

booted off a usb with windows 7 on it

Thanks

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wwf For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (14-07-15),jwoegerbauer (14-07-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Kudos to you joey, your scalpel hit the spot.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

actually, it didnt fix the problem
    more just pointed to the simply fact that cms must be enabled & secure boot disabled to boot to usb or dvd in fact
    so he reloads windows & in 2 days he posts, bootfuk.exe is missing?
    what went wrong?
    your hdd is bootfuk.exe like permanent lol
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (14-07-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

LOL, Phil, "bootfuk.exe" is that the technical term?
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Could be something as simple as someone forgot to remove a cd or memory stick from a drive or socket and BIOS is set to boot from external devices before the HDD. Seen this many times.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (15-07-15),Philquad (15-07-15)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

My (possibly outdated?) knowledge is:

On an IBM PC compatible machine, the UEFI / BIOS selects a boot device (typically SSD/HDD, USB, CD/DVD/BD). The boot order in UEFI / BIOS is a priority list. For example, if "USB drive" is above "hard drive" in your boot order, - means first to be used, your computer will try the USB drive and, if it’s not connected or no valid boot sector (operating system) is present, boot from the hard drive if a valid boot sector (operating system) there is present.
    If on none of the pre-defined boot devices a valid boot sector (operating system) is present, then you get error message like "No Boot Device Available", but never error message "Bootmgr is missing" which is specific to Windows OS.

If you get error message "Bootmgr is missing" then UEFI / BIOS detected a valid boot sector initially created by Windows OS, but the Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr) entry is not present in the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store or the Boot\BCD file is damaged or missing.

Conclusion: It's basically irrelevant whether you have connected several bootable devices (SSD/HDD, USB, CD/DVD/BD) at PC's power-on, or not.

Premium Member
    Thanks

....Conclusion: It's basically irrelevant whether you have connected several bootable devices (SSD/HDD, USB, CD/DVD/BD) at PC's power-on, or not.
    As you have pointed out Joey, you are entitled to your opinion, But I have seen this several times, the culprit has been either an attached USB HDD (I have noted that they were all Seagate HDD, maybe just a coincidence) or USB Flash drive, and as I said before a buggered SATA cable, so go figure....
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

In theory, you are correct, joey, in practice, however.......
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

jwoegerbauer (16-07-15)