Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fisher& Paykel self cleaning Oven

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Default Fisher& Paykel self cleaning Oven

We are getting lazy in old age and we are thinking about buying a new oven a Electric oven that is self cleaning by selecting the option on the display and away it goes. Has anyone had dealing with ovens like this or this oven and if so how do they do the cleaning bit.

Model number OB60SL11DEPX1

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Self cleaning oven? what it's got a built in wife? fark that, better off with the old fashioned greasy kind...

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    Self cleaning oven? what it's got a built in wife? fark that, better off with the old fashioned greasy kind...
    Until you get to our age where you have difficulty of bending down or getting off the floor. Enjoy your age when you are young because old age will catch up to you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    Until you get to our age where you have difficulty of bending down or getting off the floor. Enjoy your age when you are young because old age will catch up to you.
    Ummm I'm 61... lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Suggest you have a good read of the reviews here:

Don't have any personal experience with self-cleaning ovens, but some relatives up in Qld have one (can't remember the brand - it's one of the fancy European ones) and it's been nothing but bloody trouble - came close to burning the house down on one occasion.

From memory, they're on about their third warranty replacement unit.
    On the last installation, the tradie told them to forget using the self-cleaning function - which kinda defeats the purpose.

We use our electric oven for cakes, pies, deserts, etc (all of the non-splattering variety), and a Weber Q2200 bbq for roasts - damn sight easier to clean the Weber (which it rarely needs if you cook with a tray and trivet) than it is to clean an oven. And the Weber does roasts an absolute treat.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    Get a wall mounted oven then you will never have to bend down again.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

tristen (01-08-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    Ummm I'm 61... lol
    LOL. Every time I bend down my hemorrhoids want to see whats going on and I hate that, The wife well she just tumbles over if her head is below her rear.LOL Mostly the wife is getting Lazy in her old age and is always finding excuses not to clean things and I really hate that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Get a wall mounted oven then you will never have to bend down again.

Leroy
    If and when we buy a new oven we can raise the oven about 300mm by removing one piece of the cabinet woodwork above, life the oven and replace that section below.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    Suggest you have a good read of the reviews here:

Don't have any personal experience with self-cleaning ovens, but some relatives up in Qld have one (can't remember the brand - it's one of the fancy European ones) and it's been nothing but bloody trouble - came close to burning the house down on one occasion.

From memory, they're on about their third warranty replacement unit.
    On the last installation, the tradie told them to forget using the self-cleaning function - which kinda defeats the purpose.

We use our electric oven for cakes, pies, deserts, etc (all of the non-splattering variety), and a Weber Q2200 bbq for roasts - damn sight easier to clean the Weber (which it rarely needs if you cook with a tray and trivet) than it is to clean an oven. And the Weber does roasts an absolute treat.
    thanks my friend for this valuable information. Will study it very careful.

Thanks

Thumbs down to the Pyro self cleaning ovens as they are too unreliable, consume to much or waste electricity during this up to 40 minutes cycle and they just about cook the cabinets around the oven.
    Using one of these self cleaning ovens in the self cleaning mode is compared to "The Enterprise" from Star Trek when the Star Ship is climbing to WARP SPEED Starting from Warp 1 to Warp 9 and after Warp 9 all the crew and the Enterprise were lucky to survive it and the same goes for the Pyro ovens. My wife's friend has one and she showed us as it needed cleaning and whilst we had a cupper while the oven was cleaning itself the oven if it had a heart it defiantly would have had a massive heart attack.
    So after this we decided to buy this Westinghouse Oven

The best thing about this oven is I can take both doors off without tools and remove all draws in both ovens and remove all the side rails that the draws or shelves sit on in under 40 seconds. VERY WELL DESIGNED. The old oven was a pain as it required tools and 10 minutes plus to remove the door and if you didn't remove the door you couldn't get close to inside the oven to clean it, also those chrome side rails you could not remove them for cleaning not unless you removed the oven and ripped the side cover off.

Thanks

I had to become a Cabinet maker on the weekend due to this oven being a long higher. Our Kitchen luckily is one of those kitchens made up of two pack coated modules, easy to pull apart and shorten. All fixed now, waiting for the new oven to arrive in the next few. days

Thanks

Late yesterday arvo Harvey Norms salesman forgot to ring us in the morning like what he promiced so I decided to ring him late and we found out that this oven that I fully paid for at the shop there and then is not even available in Brisbane or possibly in Australia. They seemed to have forgotten to tell me this so after finding this out I asked to speak to the manager only to be told the store runs on separate franchises for different goods and does not have a manager only someone in charge of each different section "eg" selling TV's or white goods or Bedding. ooOOO no not another shit fight coming on for me. I'm sick of every one doing the wrong thing.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

That is the Harvey Norman business model, some stores are way better than others. If they can't supply you should ask for your money back and go to someone who will!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    That is the Harvey Norman business model, some stores are way better than others. If they can't supply you should ask for your money back and go to someone who will!
    Thank you for your info.
    I purchased the Hecto Laser projector from HN 50K away as nobody had stock of them as HN sold them exclusively with Joyce Mayne so regarding the Oven I rang this Harvey Norman 50K away where I purchased the projector and they said they have one Oven out the back.
    See JB's and the Good guys have these oven at a slighter higher price but I should have asked all first who had what in stock.

LSemmens
    Thanks

I have always found HN to be quite approachable regarding price. We generally walk in a say we have cash and the best I can do is $$$$$, with that info, they will often better the price. Good Guys from my limited experience will not even go close to the prices we get out of Harvey. E.G. We were looking at a particular Washing Machine and saw one at HN, as, we were heading to the city, we thought we'd try Good Guys (they are a further 15ks on from HN). Anyway, for the identical machine, they were about $50 more than HN and could not even match the price. The money is better in my pocket than anyone elses.

Thanks

Well what a horror of a day I had yesterday and today. The new oven trips the ELCB whenever it feels like, an average after a few minutes and this morning I found our solar inverter having a AC fault. Well after speaking to SMA I decide to test that I have not lost a leg on one of my 3 phases and sure enough A Phase was missing but I did not notice this outage as the A phase only supplies the garage and shed plus the outward feed for the Solar inverter. Yes the Circuit breaker main switch since it never gets used or switched off when I did switch it off and back on only two legs connected. A bit of exercise fixed that so all is ok now with the Inverter Phew!!!
    As for the oven I have bypassed the main 3 Phase ELCB that protects all the PPoint circuits plus the stove and cook top but the new oven is and was still having trouble with the ELCB. I will run it for a week and switch it back on the ELCB circuit and just see if it clears itself.
    Anything else guys I need to know

Thanks

Well I put the Oven on its own ELCB acca the new name RCD and it still trips so after doing some digging without taking the rear cover off as this is a brand new oven covered by warranty I found that the neutral connection and the body, the case of the oven to have around 3 Ohms between them. Now that's a near dead short. The Active to the body of the oven is Ok its only the neutral to the outside metal surface of the oven that is effected. Interesting!!! will call the Westinghouse dudes out.

LSemmens
    Thanks

That is positively scary 672!!! Another good reason for ELCBs, could you imagine your hair after getting bitten...........

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    That is positively scary 672!!! Another good reason for ELCBs, could you imagine your hair after getting bitten...........
    Yeam they have just taken away the second Oven with the same friggen fault. They refused to open the Oven up because this black duck wants to see where the dead short is between the neutral and earth. I still have the Original Oven with the Short in it and I will have my camera ready Folks to take some pics.
    Hey don't get me wrong these WVE 626S or W Ovens (S Stainless W White) are the best dismantlement ovens I have seen in my Electrical life. This is a dual Oven, I can remove both doors, all the shelves and side rails and the clipped on sides sections of the oven in under a Minute. I can remove the inside glass of the oven in 10 Friggin Seconds. The best part about this oven is the sides of the oven can be thrown away and replaced with new ones when they are to dirty so can the rear of the oven and same for the shelf support rails. I say a master piece only when we sort the problems out.
    I'm all excited and can't wait until thursday when the special Tech comes out. I might have to quick with the camera
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 03-08-15 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks

Well Electrolux service man came out today and after ripping the back cover off the oven the bottom element neutral spade push on connector was off its terminal and touching the earth. I asked how did that fall off and he replied that sometimes shipping and bouncing around will pop those connector off. WHAT A CROC OF SHIT!! not even a 10 on the Richter scale earth quake would shake one of those off if tightly fitted. Those push on spade connectors that are found on 90% of the elements today normally need a good tug to get them off so why was it off.
    Two hours later the wife decided to use the oven Yes the Panel had lights all looked ok but nothing was Heating So I said Fu..k it, turned the Power off, removed the Lid and back and all I had to do was blow on it and that connector fell off. It was so lose on the element it was not conduction surprisingly ( A FIRE HAZARD) so after nipping the lug with pliers and it fitted tightly I decided to check all over connection and found 3 more like it but not as bad. I refitted the back cover and lid back on and the Oven is away.
    Surely he must known that if it fell off it must also have a good change that its lose and will cause a good high resistance joint after refitting. What a Joke. By the way we Had the Oven on a wooden Coffee table with a blanket under the oven but the person spun the Oven around putting a depression on the Table. also this repairer twice dropped his battery drill on the wooden table from about 60 70 mm above the table.
    This is the price you pay when you are forced to get someone to come into your house to fix anything.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast