Thread: ONT and No Logon

Thanks

Default ONT and No Logon

Hi, i have a Enablence ONT, when I connected the computer to the Ethernet port the computer failed to connect, it couldn't get an IP. When I introduced a Router between the computer and the ONT it worked. What is the Router doing that the media converter can't?
    Is the ONT purely a connection device back to the ISP?
    Thanks.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Try a crossover cable

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    Hi, i have a Enablence ONT, when I connected the computer to the Ethernet port the computer failed to connect, it couldn't get an IP. When I introduced a Router between the computer and the ONT it worked. What is the Router doing that the media converter can't?
    Is the ONT purely a connection device back to the ISP?
    Thanks.
    It would be helpful if you provided more specific information, such as what is meant by an "ONT".

If members have to enlist the aid of Google (or other search engines) in order to understand what you mean, few will be prepared to attempt to help.

After going through the exercise, I have discovered that an "Enablence ONT" is an Optical Network Terminal.

As it's an optical device and you say "it couldn't get an IP", I assume that you are using it in connection with internet access and in particular with the NBN?

A model number for the "ONT" would be helpful, as it would allow us to look for a manual and thus get some idea of what facilities it provides.

I am only able to guess at what the problem might be, and I have two suggestions:

(1) Hoe is correct in advising to use a crossover cable. (The internal wiring of an Ethernet crossover cable reverses the transmit and receive signals, which is necessary in some instances, where a standard Ethernet cable is unsuitable).

(2) The router is aiding with DNS resolution (by providing the addresses of DNS servers).

Networks, including the Internet, require the use of numerical addresses. DNS servers provide a "lookup table" which enables the conversion of alphabetical addresses to numerical addresses, e.g. anyone.com = 123.654.9.87.

It might help to understand DNS (resolution) as the "telephone book" of the Internet.
    Last edited by tristen; 26-07-15 at 03:29 PM.