Thread: UEC4121 smart card will not activate

Thanks

Default UEC4121 smart card will not activate

I purchase another UEC 4121 second hand for a second TV.

Hooked it up to my an existing dish that works fine (it is stand alone, I have two separate dishes). I also put my existing working UEC4121 in this dish and it works fine, all channels etc.

I get channel 800 no problems on the second hand 4121, I called vast and got them to activate the smart card number into my name address etc and they did that, but it will not show any of the channels, no ABC or commercial. I have tried to rehit it many times and still had no success. It just has the error E30-4 in the screen on all channels.

To me, it seems the smart card is not receiving the 'activate' messages being sent to it?

When I look at the smart card detail through the menu on the 4121 it is all there and looks correct.

Is it time for me to call UEC and see if they can help?
    Last edited by newy1234; 27-07-15 at 03:40 PM.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

If the activation has been done while the decoder and card were receiving signal, it sounds like a faulty card/decoder.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

or maybe card is not original one for decoder.......

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Some months ago I purchased 2 'refurbished' UEC's 4121's and the first one went ON Line without a hiccup so I connected STB number 2, had the 800 screen displaying but with the sound either on MUTE or turned down, so I turned away and filled out the online form and turned back when it was sent to see NOTHING !!!
    Not a picture, no power light, just NOTHING, the damn thing had died.

Can you check with VAST and ask if the card and the STB are a 'Pair' before ringing UEC but if whoever you bought it from had it working and your happy they havent swapped the card (why would they?) it looks like a call to UEC unfortunately.

Did you do the activation On Line or direct as I was wondering if you did it On Line if the system could be running a bit slow being a Monday and they may a bit of a backlog.
    When I did the last one after I got the replacement as per the above post, I rang VAST direct because of the stuff up with the STB that died and the Operator gave me the impression they were not just activating as before 'On Demand' but were checking all applications but I didnt think to ask for more details at the time.

Another member PM'd me about getting a STB activated over the weekend (Saturday) because it hadnt worked after some hours had passed which made me wonder if they were checking the applications.
    He hasnt said if its working or not yet.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 27-07-15 at 06:02 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    or maybe card is not original one for decoder.......
    That thought had crossed my mind. I rang Vast and they gave me the CSSN number for the card that should be in the box, I will check it tonight and see how I go.

After that its a call to UEC.

Thanks

I thought that VAST Admin were no longer answering their phone ??? !!!
    Hos Here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hos here View Post
    I thought that VAST Admin were no longer answering their phone ??? !!!
    Hos Here
    Hmmmm, not sure why you thought that Hos, how would people with no internet access or wanting to add a second box get their box on air?

Update: I spoke to vast and they confirmed my CSSN number is correct, so this should mean the card is the correct one. I assume the CSSN number is a number that the box and the card share some how?

Time to call UEC and see if they come up with any magic solutions.
    Last edited by newy1234; 29-07-15 at 10:55 PM.

Thanks

Update:

Called UEC and spoke to a rude Indian girl who said for all activate problems problems call Vast. I told her 3 times that it was not a Vast activate problem as far as I could see, but she did not want to know. I might call on another day and try to speak to someone else.

I called Vast again today and spoke to another girl there and she said if the box had not been on air for a number of years they may not be able to get it going again! WTF, how does the network even know the box is not there, the STB does not transmit anything back to the satellite! The STB in question does have the latest firmware (Sept 2014) so I know it has been less than a year. I ask for this to be escalated to a tech so I could speak to them, she said they do not have anyone they can refer it to! WTF again. She than had another look and noticed the box came from QLD, and yes it had, why should have have any effect, just set it back up for NSW, I still get the same adds as QLD anyway. She said this could be a problem and will send an email to a tech!!! She told me in the last sentence they did not have any techs! FARK, the saga continues. I have to call her back on Monday to see if the tech has looked at it.

Plenty of great customer service and knowledge from both parties involved.

I am now thinking that Vast maybe the issue.

I work as a comms tech in the service industry and this is equal to the worst customer service I have seen.

• The Following User Says Thank You to newy1234 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (01-08-15)

Premium Member

Thanks

As VAST itself is less than 5 years old at the most and you say the last update was 2014, its doubtful its been dormant too long to accept the normal updates I think are sent on a regular basis.
    What I was thinking was that over very long period of inactivity (YEARS), too many updates have happened and the system cant accept them but thats seems very unlikely.
    Havent other members said they have had the STB switched off for 6 months or so and once turned back on it has worked after a brief period?
    I cant see it matters 2 cents where the STB was previously or where it is now for that matter because VAST doesnt 'Beam' into individual areas so tightly to miss an area.
    Unless VAST isnt sending you the correct activation code I cant see the problem being their end, more like the UEC but then, didnt you say you have the 800 channel displaying a picture??
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Update, the last one:

I called Vast again and the asked to speak to a tech or get it escalated, they told me they have no one I can talk to! The girl did have another look and this time said since the box was originally setup in QLD they will need to change it over to NSW other wise this will cause problems, "she will send an email to a tech to get this changed over the NSW". WTF, I just asked to speak to a tech! It was a Friday so she said call back on Monday which I did and was advised it had been changed over the NSW. That was 2 weeks ago.

I have only just been able to look at it again today and of course it will still not go on air. I called vast again and they tried to rehit it many times but still no go. I can even see the correct EPG info but no picture.

I have given up and will see if I can get a refund from the seller on ebay.

The box or card must have a problem of some sort I assume. Strange that I can see channel 800 and the EPG info though.

Over all, it is obvious that UEC (maybe just to lazy) and Vast staff have very little technical knowledge of the network and or do not have anyone they can access for high level faults and tech support. Maybe I am asking to much. Its a shame, I thought I would get this one done and working.
    Last edited by newy1234; 21-08-15 at 10:06 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Firstly I am darned if I can see how having a STB in NSW that was first registered in Qld has anything to do with its working because you can get one registered as a 'Traveler' and tour the countryside without further contact with VAST.

Channel 800 comes up automatically to let you see your tuned into the Satellite correctly and as for the EPG, remember using Aurora etc, you could see the Info bar on the channels you were not authorised to receive.

Unfortunately it looks like the STB itself is the problem.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

Back to post #2.

It appears the OTA activation is not being written to the card, for whatever reason... eg: decoder or card fault.

VAST seem to be doing all they can on the activation side of things, so I suggest both decoder and card need to go to UEC to be sorted... if you think it's worth it.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Branchfield (15-08-16),OSIRUS (22-08-15),Tiny (22-08-15)