A number of completely wireless and 3G connected alarm / home automation systems are appearing on the market. They generally communicate from battery powered detectors on the various legal bands back to a base station which is connected via 3G to a cloud service.

Some of these report to a monitoring centre, others may be self monitored. Some have battery powered screamers, others don't.
These are largely aimed at the DIY market, and of course all bets are off there. However, because they have detectors, they are technically "Security Equipment".

I know a guy who has been asked to install some of these into a residential tenancy. He's not a security installer, but the job is simple. Plug the box into a GPO via a plugpack, put the batteries into the PIRs and screw them to the walls / ceilings as appropriate. I've suggested that he approach this job with caution.

In Victoria, it's my belief that a person installing these on behalf of a builder, estate agent, etc.) still needs a security installer license incorporating a cabling license (which is patently ridiculous), and a probity check (which is not). I'm not up with the regs in the other states.

I know it takes regulations some time to catch up with technology, but do any of you have an opinion on the need for a cabling license or security license to install this sort of equipment? I kind of liken it to installing a WiFi router.