Thread: Ducted Gas Heating Controller

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Ducted Gas Heating Controller

I have a 3.5 star builders range Bonaire gas ducted heater, made my Climate Technologies in Australia.

I presume these are in many newer houses (mine is 8 years old) and they use a very basic standard "Summer Breeze" controller which is the same controller that is sued on evaporative cooling systems. It basically has no features...the time , on/off and temp up and down.

I want to replace it with an upgraded controller that allows me to set a timer for the heater to turn and off at specified time. I was wondering if anyone knew what sort of controller I can use and can I do it myself.

I am using my Daikin Electric Split for heating from 11PM through to 3PM as those times come under my "off peak" and "shoulder" electricity tariffs and it is cheaper to use than gas. I can easily set timers on the Daikin, but I of course have to be up at 11PM to turn the gas ducted system off due to no timer which is frigging annoying

Thanks for any help.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Is the ducted system 'Hard wired" or plugs into a power point, if a power point, could you use one of those 'Timers' on it to turn it off as required?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

From my limited knowledge of installing a few ducted heating kits in my home and that of relos and repairing a few of them, controllers usually come into 2 categories, low voltage and mains voltage.

If you know or can work out what yours is, you can pretty much walk into a shop requesting the unit you want based on that with the features you want.

All that ive worked on so far were low voltage units, but ive heard there are high voltage ones so i always approach them with a volt meter to check (before i fry myself)

But remember my knowledge is VERY limited to what ive self taught myself on the units ive worked on.....

Premium Member

Thanks

I was going to suggest checking to see if it was 'single' or '3 phase' then I remembered its GAS !!! duhhhh
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

do you know what model heater?
    I have access to some of the service manuals, I think you might be able upgrade to premium controller - go the low voltage hard wires as I have had some problems with the RF ones
    I have an old controller here that might do the trick depending on model
    woteva

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by omega99 View Post
    do you know what model heater?
    I have access to some of the service manuals, I think you might be able upgrade to premium controller - go the low voltage hard wires as I have had some problems with the RF ones
    I have an old controller here that might do the trick depending on model
    I would have to get up in the roof for a look, from memory it was a nightmare to find last time.

This what the controller looks like :

The heater itself is made by Climate Technologies on behalf of Bonaire if I remember correctly from when I had it repaired a couple of years ago.
    It is a cheap 3.5 star heater that came as default in a Metricon built home. I didnt get a manual with it....you dont really need one with the lack of features. The "Summer Breeze" remote is basically a generic remote that is also used on evaporative cooling.

Administrator
    Thanks

After having a play today, I can probably realistically live without the timer function on an upgraded controller (unless I find one cheap and can do it myself).

If I turn both the Gas Ducted and Daikin Electric Split on and get the settings right, I dont need to turn the Gas Ducted off because it wont come on because the room is already warm enough.

I can leave the Gas Ducted on with the Daikin off but with a timer to turn on at 11PM. As long as the Daikin is on a higher temp than the gas, the gas will turn off when its set temp is reached and wont come back on.

Sounds good in theory, I will see how it goes in practice

Thanks

depending on the model & or product number you need
    WALL CONTROL - PREMIUM PNE 5001656SP IME
    WIRING LOOM - LV 20 MTR PNE 2511617SP IME

don't know if they are still available
    woteva

• The Following User Says Thank You to omega99 For This Useful Post:

admin (10-08-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

You have been vindicated admin

I never thought I would see the day electricity would be cheaper than gas to heat a home. And then with solar panels running the split.....
    But you have to remember it is a room heater. Ducted gas is a house heating solution.
    Ive been using my two wall furnaces all winter and happy with our sub $300 bill for gas.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Administrator
    Thanks

Yep, I have been sticking to what I mentioned earlier. My power bill for the month has of course massively increased, but its only $134 so far and its nearly the end of the month. I have used gas sparingly, my last bill was horrendous. I was paying it on a direct debit system, it was $71 a fortnight, then $90, then $151 ! I told them to jam it up their backsides.

Gas heating in rapidly becoming very expensive, and if news reports of a 30% price increase are correct I will be ditching my gas hot water for solar, preferably electrically boosted.

You are correct in that Gas Ducted is a house heating solution , I am lucky that my Daikin Split is a big 8/9kw unit and can almost cover the GD's range. I really shouldn't heat my whole house as their is now only the 2 of us, but my wife does not understand saving money (her idea of life is running multiple 55-60 inch Plasma TV's with all heaters blaring and every light on).

Premium Member

Thanks

A neat trick I saw on my last power bill was that there was a deduction in the rates on the 1st of July (mid Bill) of some minuscule few cents per unit BUT the 'service charge' has increased by 2 cents a day to 71 cents a day.
    No one can tell you what this 'service charge' covers but over a year it adds up.
    Back 3 supply companies ago, they did list the rates and it was for reading the meter with each area like city, near rural and remote having a different charge.
    There were other things listed as part of a fixed quarterly charge but some bright bean counter realised it was better to charge by the DAY and it can be increased without asking permission as its not regulated as the cost of electricity is.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    , but my wife does not understand saving money (her idea of life is running multiple 55-60 inch Plasma TV's with all heaters blaring and every light on).
    Why do you need the split when you have multiple plasma heaters

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS