Thread: intelsat 19 help.

Thanks

Default intelsat 19 help.

After no longer being able to receive Euro News And News 24 here on my 90cm satellite dish. Used to get it perfectly fine before the Optus 10 satellite started up and killed the signals.

I have an unused 1.8m C band mesh salellite dish on the roof. Was wondering if I was to convert it for use as a KU band on Optus 19. Would I be able pickup the missing KU stations? If so is there some sort of Ku band LNB Holder for C band dish I can get from somewhere? As I have a few spare KU LNB I can try on the larger C band dish.
    Last edited by Greg; 07-08-15 at 04:36 PM.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Your 90cm offset dish will outperform a 1.8m mesh dish for Ku any day.

(Even worse, if the mesh is not rated for Ku signals, it would barely work at all)

A solid 1.8m dish with a prime-focus Ku LNB, would beat the 90cm offset.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gulliver (07-08-15)

Thanks

Thanks. So 90cm should work for here for receiving all the KU band AU signals here in Sydney. The only ones I want to watch and can't receive are Euronews, RT English and France 24 English (12286 H 30000 3/4). Which I used to get before Optus 10 went up. I can get Arirang World and the other ones down the bottom of the Lyngsat list no problem with full signal.

Administrator
    Thanks

What receiver are you using, Greg?

Euronews, RT English and France 24 English are all MPEG4 DVBS-2 whilst Arirang World and the other channels you mentioned are only DVB-S.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

@MTV – He’s using a Healing HHS242 – he’s been on a number of IS19 threads in the past with this issue. I just knocked up this reply to him, and then came back and saw that you’d posted – won’t get in your way, but thought I might as well throw this up anyhow – since it took me a while to put it together
    P.S. About to update the Multiswitch/LNB thread.

Cheers.

@Greg

I don’t understand why you can’t get those channels in Sydney on a 90cm – assuming all else is equal.

There have been several issues with the changeover to 12286/DVB-S2, and Optus 10 but, by and large, that transponder has now settled down pretty well and is currently SQ/94 on my Strong receiver, and reading 78dBuV at the receiver end of the coax – and that’s after passing through a Multiswitch with a 3dB insertion loss.
    Dish is a 90cm ground-mounted – location NE Vic.

Have you adjusted your LNB to suit the new frequency as previously suggested (those channels used to be on 12525) – the signal is DVB-S2, and hence LNB adjustment is fairly important.

In the event that for some reason you can’t get this transponder on your Ku dish, you do have a fallback position, given you have a roof-mounted 1.8m at your disposal.

France 24 and Euronews are available on Asiasat 5 – along with I24 (Israel), Bloomberg, Reuters, and a smattering of other stuff.
    RT is available on D2, along with Press TV (Iran), CNC World (China), and some ABC downlinks that can be interesting/amusing at times.
    So, if you’re desperate, you could swing your Ku dish onto D2, and the 1.8m onto Asiasat 5, and you would get all the channels you wanted, and then some.

You would need a Multiswitch (that’s if you don’t want to keep changing the coax into the receiver) – and you would need dual-output LNBs on both dishes. Not as expensive as it sounds – around $100 for the two LNBs, and around $60 for a 4 X 4 multiswitch (all available on eBay).

A bit more convoluted than simply tuning in 12286 on IS19, but then you get all the channels you wanted and a few bonus chucked in for the trouble.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

mtv (08-08-15)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    @MTV – He’s using a Healing HHS242 – he’s been on a number of IS19 threads in the past with this issue. I just knocked up this reply to him, and then came back and saw that you’d posted – won’t get in your way, but thought I might as well throw this up anyhow – since it took me a while to put it together
    Thanks for the post mate, it's a good summary.

Interestingly enough, I checked back and I had responded to Greg in a thread advising of a firmware update for his receiver, which he didn't respond to.

Greg,

Did you install the latest firmware?

Have you adjusted your dish and LNB alignment accurately, as recommended by TD?

Both these things are critical.

Also, please do not create multiple threads/posts on the same issue, as the information becomes scattered and it just serves to clutter the forums unnecessarily. (It's also in the form rules).

Thanks

You would need a Multiswitch (that’s if you don’t want to keep changing the coax into the receiver) – and you would need dual-output LNBs on both dishes. Not as expensive as it sounds – around $100 for the two LNBs, and around $60 for a 4 X 4 multiswitch (all available on eBay).
    Greg,

Just dawned on me that you're probably only using one receiver - if that's the case, you can ignore the above, because all you need for one receiver and two dishes is one of these:

Assuming that your C-band dish already has a LNB, all you need to do is bring both the C-band and Ku band LNBs down to the 22khz switch, and your receiver will do the rest (after you've set it up to do so).

I think the picture shows dual LNBs, but as you can see, only one output from each LNB is required, so your single LNBs would be fine.

You can have all the channels I mentioned above for the princely sum of $8, and a bit of fiddling around on the roof
    Last edited by Thala Dan; 09-08-15 at 09:44 AM.

Thanks

I'll have a look at the information posted in this thread and see what I can work with. If nothing then I will probably have to go up on the roof with the decoder and a tv to adjust the LNB.

As for my setup. My dish is a toroidal 90cm and 4 way DiSEqC switch. So can receive multiple satellites on the one decoder without having to change cable or move dish.

Decoder is Healing HHS242 satellite receiver. I installed the firmware update 1.01.25 back in January 2015 to fix the lost audio on the Euro News and France 24 stations. Unless there is a newer one available thats the latest I have installed.

I was looking at AsiaSat 5 but not sure a 1.8m mesh c band dish would be suitable for this sat from an east coast Sydney location.
    Last edited by Greg; 13-08-15 at 12:59 AM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I was looking at AsiaSat 5 but not sure a 1.8m mesh c band dish would be suitable for this sat from an east coast Sydney location.
    No problems on C-Band

Thanks

If nothing then I will probably have to go up on the roof with the decoder and a tv to adjust the LNB.
    Why go to all that trouble.

One of these meters will do the job:

I bought one from this bloke and it works just fine on the IS19 12285 DVB-S2 transponder.

There are a few selling them on eBay a bit cheaper, but this bloke has 100% feedback, which is something that I think is worth a bit extra on eBay.

Just take this meter up on to the roof with a fly lead, and place it in-line between the dish and the coax to your STB.

The STB provides the power to the meter, and it will squawk its head off, along with a visual bar indicator when you hit the sweet spot on 12285.

You can use it to tune up both your dishes if you want.

Fits in your pocket - easier than lugging a STB/TV up onto the roof.