Thread: $100 1997 RAV4, how to repair..........

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default $100 1997 RAV4, how to repair..........

Yes, I have just bought a 1997 5 speed RAV4 with 345 k's for a $100 and its a wee bit bent.
    Yes it goes and goes well, unregistered now and I have no intention of making it roadworthy.
    It turns out I have watched this vehicle for several years being driven around by a middle aged couple who drove it like normal people do until they had no more need for it and sold it to a young local fellow who had the misfortune to hit a Kangaroo which did a fair bit of costly cosmetic damage to the front end as they do and pushed both radiators back so the near top almost touches the heat shield on the exhaust manifold but did NOT rupture either one !!!
    I gather it was beyond his pocket to fix it so he sold it to a younger Cousin who you would not trust to push an empty pram, who then along with some equally idiot mates, took the RAV into the miles of Bush that surrounds us to where even wild Pigs and Billy Goats seldom tred.
    Suffice to say they wer'nt out that long before returning back minus one RAV4 that was now safely wedged in the rapidly darkening night.
    They managed to retrieve it the next day and drove the damn thing back here and left it in my yard.
    When I was told the owner said he would just sell it for scrap value ($100), I offered and he accepted a $100 and its now MINE.
    Amazingly, except for the fans not working (???) it goes so we intend to use it to go and get wood using a trailer as its an AWD with the central transmission lock.
    Its got a Hayman Reece towbar too.
    I would like to try and get to the fans and on first look, there is a 'strut' across the top and I thought maybe we could cut it off (replace it later) and very very carefully see if we can ease the radiators forward to gain access to the fan carrier.
    The top of both radiators are bent 'back' a good 50 mm (2 inches) at least and while I dont care about the A/C one, I dont intend to damage what I dont have to.

Am I right in guessing that like most modern cars, the main radiator 'drops' into slots at the bottom and held firmly there by a bolt or clamp on either side near the top?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (16-08-15),mkhannah (18-08-15)

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

most likely a pair of round rubber mounts , with plastic pins on the bottom of the rad. search ebay for the rad and you should see how the mounts are arranged.

• The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (18-08-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

As above, should be a pair of top brackets with rubber holding it from falling over, bottom should be the same, remove top brackets, radiator just lifts out of the bottom ones.

Most modern cars are like that today Gordon.

My advice if its not leaking is not to touch it.

Simply unplug the fans and hot wire into the motors to see if they work.

If they do, simply fit a relay, some wires and a switch inside the cabin, bingo, dont forget to turn the fans on manually when its hot every now and then.

Yes there is a way to get them to automatically turn on....but that requires more mulla to be spent....and we dont want to be doing that, do we

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

best4less (17-08-15),gordon_s1942 (18-08-15)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    As above, should be a pair of top brackets with rubber holding it from falling over, bottom should be the same, remove top brackets, radiator just lifts out of the bottom ones.

Most modern cars are like that today Gordon.

My advice if its not leaking is not to touch it.

Simply unplug the fans and hot wire into the motors to see if they work.

If they do, simply fit a relay, some wires and a switch inside the cabin, bingo, dont forget to turn the fans on manually when its hot every now and then.

Yes there is a way to get them to automatically turn on....but that requires more mulla to be spent....and we dont want to be doing that, do we
    Godzilla, you know how to make a fellows day when you suggest ways to save money..........
    No, we certainly dont want to spend anything and your idea of just manually turning them on suits me fine.
    Are they just simple 2 wire (pos/neg) fans or like the Ford, one fan has 3 wires which I think are 1 Neg and 2 Pos and when power is applied to one you get 1/2 speed and full speed when both pos connected?

Anyone got a wiring diagram for the fan circuit including the colour code used?

It just gets 'betterer and betterer' as both fans appear to be working !!!
    My Son went 'down the back' for some firewood and he said when he came out of the scrub, he thought he could hear the fans running and when he checked, both were running and the gauge was showing 'Normal', so thats another plus.....
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 17-08-15 at 02:38 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (17-08-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Ha, looks like you got a bargain!

Nice to see a win every now and then.

Now take your thought off trying to get it back on the road.......

Premium Member

Thanks

NOOOOOOOO way, too much cosmetic damage, Both front wings, Bonnet, Windscreen, MAYBE body/chassis twisted?, front and rear bumpers, Pass side Headlights, Grille and thats just what I can see.
    OHHH, and 4 new tires as these are showing a pattern only now.
    No Plates now and with 345K on the clock ???