Thread: Windows 10 Scans For Pirated Games

Thanks

Default Windows 10 Scans For Pirated Games

Came across an interesting article online today which makes me cringe...

Apparently Windows 10, in line with Microsoft's new end user license agreement (EULA) "may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorised hardware peripheral devices."

It appears that so far this is being targeted at games being played on Microsoft's various games networks such as XBOX Live and games installed on Windows 10 however what concerns me the most is how open to interpretation it is to me. How will Microsoft decide what is deemed a counterfeit game or unauthorised hardware peripheral on Windows 10. It sounds more and more based on my reading that Microsoft is trying to police the world one computer at a time.

Don't get me wrong I agree that pirating software is a bad thing and that better protections need to be in place but where my concerns are is that Microsoft can use Windows 10 to scan for pirated software or unauthorised hardware and then download changes to your computer disabling the offending hardware or software.

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

The latest mess all started with reports saying Microsoft’s end user licensing agreement for Windows 10 had changed, allowing the company to scan your PC and prevent you from playing for example a ripped version of Far Cry 4: The only problem is the EULA the reports point to is called the Microsoft Services Agreement, which is not the Windows 10 EULA. Instead, it’s for Microsoft’s various online and cross-device - many of which run on Windows 10 - such as Cortana, Groove, Office 365 Home, Skype, Xbox Live, and Xbox and Windows games published by Microsoft.

Yes, there are many real privacy concerns with Windows 10 where Microsoft really is grabbing data from your PC. But often this data is anonymized and about delivering better security, gathering telemetry data, or improving online services such as Cortana.

IMO fears of Microsoft scanning your Windows 10 PC for pirated games are overblown.

Thanks

It's just another example of some journo reading something, not understanding it at all, and publishing his/her completely whacked take on it. It sure isn't the first example.

How long did the idiot advice of 'you must remove the multimedia QoS scheduler from the network adaptor because it's stealing your bandwidth' in XP stick around for? Heck, I bet there's still people out there that believe that one.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

jwoegerbauer (26-08-15)