Thread: Wireless perimeter protection with NX-8

Thanks

Red face Wireless perimeter protection with NX-8

Hi,

Long time reader first time poster :P
    Anyway, I have a question about my security system that I hope someone here can help me with, as I’m a bit clueless…
    I just moved into a house that has a NX-8 system installed (I think anyway, I’ll need to check exactly tonight, it's either that or NX-4), but only with the PIR’s (I think they are called) in the rooms… there are 5 of them in total and are wired in…

BUT it doesn’t however have any perimeter protection, my old place had reeds and the like… Is it possible to now install wireless perimeter protection on the windows/doors? I have been told that with my particular house it might be hard to install wired without cables etc showing… it’s an old solid house… so wireless would be fine for me….has anyone done this before with this system? Would be nice to have some perimeter protection….

Thanks for any assistance guys and gals…!

Jackie.

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

you are probably best off getting a bigger panel. ( 16 zone )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    you are probably best off getting a bigger panel. ( 16 zone )
    hi, thanks for your reply, why is this, do i not have enough inputs, or because there is no wireless window/door protection that is compatible with my NX panel?

i figure i should be slighly educated on the subject before i call an expert in

thanks,
    jackie.

Thanks

Could you count the windows / doors that you wish to protect with wireless and let us know?

This way we can gauge the type of panel / receiver you will require for the job.

Just a heads up, this is going to be an expensive option.. Do the windows / doors that you are thinking of having a reed switch fitted to have deadlocks on them ? if they do then reed switches are no good as they only alarm when the window is opened. (also what type of windows are they? sliding, wind out e.t.c)

Thanks

Thanks

Hi, 2 windows are slide up windows that are not deadlocked, 4 windows are deadlocked where the bottom half winds out, and there are 2 external doors, that are of the normal hinged variety.

Thanks!

Thanks

I would think you are better to spend money on additional motion detectors, i am unsure of the layout of your home. Do you think the current 5 are sufficient ?

You can add a wireless expander to your current system, but i would change the panel to the nx-16, this way u can start your wireless zones, for example, at zone 8, also allowing you space for keyfobs e.t.c

Thanks

hmm... then maybe my motion detectors are already sufficient... they pretty much cover every room in the house except for the hall way (small house)
    basically 3 bedrooms, 1 lounge and the kitchen/dining are all covered by the motion detectors...
    only thing is i can't have anything switched on while i'm at home and asleep, which is why i was thinking about the perimeter protection....

i will need to look into the keyfobs as i'm not sure what they are for...
    i am also looking into getting a gsm based system installed, rather than fixed line... so much to do

Thanks

Spa, I would arm the areas that you are not in whilst in bed, i would have a GSM as a backup for the PSTN phone line, GSM is not a great idea for a primary reporting path to a control room

Keyfobs give you a panic alarm, on / off functionality without using the codepad.

Hope this info helps mate

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

You're best off upgrading the system as mentioned to an NX-16 or equivalent. You can then add wireless expansion, not the best option, but always a more cost effective option as retro fit wiring is labour intensive.

W'Less Reed switches can be placed on all perimeter windows and doors, and extra magnets can be added to the window reeds allowing you to open the windows a little, handy in summer with the protection of being able to still arm the alarm.

By doing this you can have the option of arming the Perimeter whilst still being able to roam freely around your home, and the beauty of it is you don't have to wait until you sleep to arm the perimeter.

Thanks

You can add wire less expansion to an nx8 if need be and yes wireless reeds are available.

If it is double brick and the cavity is accesible there is no reason it can't be hard wired which in my experience is always more reliable, although nx wireless is the best of the domestic stuff. The wind out windows I would put shock sensors rather than plain reed switches so as to protect from the window being broken.

Keyfobs are great as long as you don't keep them in your pocket around the house. You would not believe how many phone calls we get of people complaining their alarm has gone off by itself.

As keef said you could have some sensors on when you press partial and leave others (bedroom etc) off.

Thanks

hey, thanks for all the advice
    would you still think i need an upgrade to the NX-16 if at the moment my 5 sensors are split across 3 zones? my old house had all the windows/doors on the one zone....

the wireless expansion w/ shock sensors sound like a good idea... i'll ask about it and hope it's not too expensive! i was just looking on the DAS site and didn't see anything about wireless window sensors, is this sold by someone else?

keyfobs - might be a stupid question, but does that mean if i drop my keys somewhere someone else can disarm?

gsm vs landline - at the moment i don't have a landline at my place (naked dsl), but i was hoping to set up to call my mobile if the alarm goes off. i've read this is possible, although not sure if it is for this particular alarm..., but also read elsewhere this is a bad idea... i work < 5 minutes away drive from home so figure i can respond faster than a monitoring centre...

thanks again all...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spa View Post
    would you still think i need an upgrade to the NX-16 if at the moment my 5 sensors are split across 3 zones? my old house had all the windows/doors on the one zone....
    Why are there 5 sensors on 3 zones? You have sufficient zones on an NX-8.
    Individual sensors on individual zones, makes monitoring a lot easier to differentiate between false and genuine alarms.

keyfobs - might be a stupid question, but does that mean if i drop my keys somewhere someone else can disarm?
    If they know where you live. Yes.

gsm vs landline - at the moment i don't have a landline at my place (naked dsl), but i was hoping to set up to call my mobile if the alarm goes off. i've read this is possible, although not sure if it is for this particular alarm..., but also read elsewhere this is a bad idea... i work < 5 minutes away drive from home so figure i can respond faster than a monitoring centre...
    There are products that will work through your ADSL, as the industry is moving towards IP, it wouldn't hurt to set it up now. Plenty of IP/GSM/GPRS dialers on the market. There are some who prefer self monitoring but I recommend you have it monitored by a dedicated 24hr centre, it's more reliable, and they will call you in all cases anyhow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spa View Post

the wireless expansion w/ shock sensors sound like a good idea... i'll ask about it and hope it's not too expensive! i was just looking on the DAS site and didn't see anything about wireless window sensors, is this sold by someone else?

thanks again all...
    Spa...It is possible to get an SMS module that is made for NX panels. It is also possible to get a TCP\IP interface for the NX the problem is not many monitoring centre's have a receiver. Next time you are on the DAS website search under ITI and you will find the receivers and transmitters. Bad news is DAS does not sell to the public you will have to go through an installer to purchase the products . The TCP\IP module can email you the alarm events, if you set your mobile phone up to receive your emails this could be a better option.
    Last edited by kiwitech; 16-08-08 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Add foot note

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keef82 View Post
    this way u can start your wireless zones, for example, at zone 8,
    You mean zone 9.

Quote Originally Posted by rotor138 View Post
    You can add wire less expansion to an nx8 if need be and yes wireless reeds are available.
    You sure about that ?
    Wireless is used in blocks of 8 so how could you have the hardwired PIR's working as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rotor138 View Post
    The wind out windows I would put shock sensors rather than plain reed switches so as to protect from the window being broken.
    If the perimeter arming is used while at home i doubt you would need a shock sensor as you would hear a window break.
    PIR's cover the house for full arming.
    I reckon reeds on a wind out window would only be beneficial to alert you to the window being left open when arming.

Thanks

Mainline Security had a wireless Transmitter that had a spool of very thin wire in it, (Going back to the old days of trip wires and traps !!), interesting product if you want to look after verandahs outside, when its broken, all you do it restring it and heat the end (Though it does go back to there freewave reciever equipment)

Just a thought...

ReD

Thanks

Now days you can install strain gauge sensors under the floor boards to detect someone walking there, they work quite well.

Install & forget.

Thanks

That they do!!

ReD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone View Post
    You mean zone 9.

Yeah, sorry made a mistake there :P

You sure about that ?
    Wireless is used in blocks of 8 so how could you have the hardwired PIR's working as well.

If the perimeter arming is used while at home i doubt you would need a shock sensor as you would hear a window break.
    PIR's cover the house for full arming.
    I reckon reeds on a wind out window would only be beneficial to alert you to the window being left open when arming.
    Nothing wrong with the sentrol reed / glass break / seizmic all in one