Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racing.com (Channel 78/68) on VAST

Thanks

Default Racing.com (Channel 78/68) on VAST

My parents live in a regional area of Queensland and their only Tv reception is via the VAST satellite service. My dad, who is a keen horse racing fan, wants to watch the new Racing.com channel which is available within metro areas on channel 78 or in regional areas on channel 68. This however is not possible as they can only get a satellite service from VAST Satellite. I was wondering if anyone knows if this channel is available via VAST satellite service? He has a Altech UEC DSD4121RV Set Top Box and ever since the new channels came out on regular Tv they have not appeared on this satellite service. if this service is available what does he need to do in order to get this included into his channel line-up

Cheers & thanks in advance.

John

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

The VAST platform is merely a government funded carrier for ABC, SBS and the various Australian commercial television broadcasters.

I understand that the channel in question is a co-operative venture between the Seven Network and Racing Victoria.

The commercial channels provided on the VAST platform come via Southern Cross Media (scmedia.com.au/), Imparja TV (), WIN (wintv.com.au) and GWN, with programming from the 7, 9 and 10 networks.

I believe that Southern Cross Media and WIN both carry 7 Network programming, so try directing your inquiries to them.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

hazman (05-09-15),Tiny (05-09-15)

Thanks

So your suggesting I contact Southern Cross Media and WIN and ask if they carry Racing.com? I would have thought someone would have known here actually. I guess I can make a call (who knows who to). I looked at and it mentions Racing.com | Channel 609 | SDTV 576i. Ill have a hunt around. I have tried to contact VAST and Racing.com and they have not responded.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

[QUOTE=Homith;668110]So your suggesting I contact Southern Cross Media and WIN and ask if they carry Racing.com?.....[\quote]

Yes. And if one of them does, do they plan to make it available, if not already, via the VAST platform. If they can't help, ask them who can they suggest you contact.

I guess I can make a call (who knows who to).
    Yes. You could also use e-mail via the respective web-pages. I posted the Url's.

I looked at and it mentions Racing.com | Channel 609 | SDTV 576i. Ill have a hunt around.
    I see it listed top/right but not as a channel in the main channel list on the sattvguide page as it does in the listing for Western Australia.

You could ask for clarification by using the Contact page at sattvguide.com.

I suppose that you have already done a re-scan on the VAST UEC satellite receiver to see if the channel appears?

I have tried to contact VAST and Racing.com and they have not responded.
    Have you read the Faq's on the Racing.com website at ( and ).?

Thanks

Indeed you are correct, it seems like WA is the only area that gets this Racing.com service (and a handful of other stuff as well) according to SatTVGuide. I have contacted SatTvGuide for further clarification and awaiting on a response. If I apply for a travellers subscription that might be able to help me.

Cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homith View Post
    Indeed you are correct, it seems like WA is the only area that gets this Racing.com service (and a handful of other stuff as well) according to SatTVGuide. I have contacted SatTvGuide for further clarification and awaiting on a response. If I apply for a travellers subscription that might be able to help me.

Cheers
    travellers card would be best bet, or to just stream the racing channel off the website if decent internet is available

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Odd that they have 'opened' this channel for WA but not the Eastern States but then with the way VAST is configured, I shoudnt be surprised.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Very surprised Southern Cross Austereo hasn't launched Racing.com for their Central/Eastern viewers, considering they replaced one of their shopping channels for it in their Darwin, Tassie and SA markets. Prime/GWN launched it as soon as it became available elsewhere on their network. It's interesting to note that SCA, Imparja and CDT don't do any datacast services - could there be some licencing restriction?

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Southern Cross' General Manager for Tas & NT returned my email today regarding Racing.com. They basically aren't launching it on VAST due to not having enough bandwidth on the satellite. Whether he meant that from a financial or technical perspective is unclear, but I'd like to see what happens when it comes time for Imparja HD, Nine Life and SBS Food to launch.

With the axing of a couple of WIN News bulletins in recent times, maybe Southern Cross should look at the number of VAST Regional News channels and consider reducing them? A couple of the WIN channels could cover 3 regions instead of 2 to free up some space. RHC still seems to exist, but I don't know how much bandwidth it takes up.
    Last edited by Smacca; 09-11-15 at 11:59 PM.

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

hos here (10-11-15),LeroyPatrol (10-11-15),mtv (09-11-15),OSIRUS (10-11-15),tristen (10-11-15),weirdo (10-11-15)

Thanks

I don't see racing.com on the VAST WA service.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    I don't see racing.com on the VAST WA service.
    It's definitely there.

Perhaps you need to perform a channel rescan on your receiver.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (11-11-15)

Thanks

Yes, thanks, I can see it but get no pics on the card/CAM combo.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    Southern Cross' General Manager for Tas & NT returned my email today regarding Racing.com. They basically aren't launching it on VAST due to not having enough bandwidth on the satellite. Whether he meant that from a financial or technical perspective is unclear, but I'd like to see what happens when it comes time for Imparja HD, Nine Life and SBS Food to launch.

With the axing of a couple of WIN News bulletins in recent times, maybe Southern Cross should look at the number of VAST Regional News channels and consider reducing them? A couple of the WIN channels could cover 3 regions instead of 2 to free up some space. RHC still seems to exist, but I don't know how much bandwidth it takes up.
    smacca, this reply sort of flies in the face of the ch 800/801 on Vast which recommends you check them for changes which infers they can add addition channels to it in the future.
    Of course what we dont know is just what 'Bandwidth' they (Southern Cross) have and exactly how its being used because they could be using it for other 'not seen by us' purposes.

Not covering the Eastern States is odd because there must be a far larger number of VAST Viewers in that area compared to the West.
    Also, it makes you wonder why the SEVEN network arnt pushing it because of the possible loss of revenue from the coverage.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks

My take on it is that 7 aren't probably overly concerned as VAST is likely to only be watched by a very small audience compared to terrestrial coverage, keeping in mind 7 is metro areas only.

The regional affiliates would be in a similar situation of terrestrial coverage reaching the majority of their audience, plus the transponder cost for additional channels/bandwidth on satellites.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

tristen (10-11-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    It's definitely there.

Perhaps you need to perform a channel rescan on your receiver.
    Thanks, can see it now, had to set it up it through the CI assignment menu.

Cheers.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    smacca, this reply sort of flies in the face of the ch 800/801 on Vast which recommends you check them for changes which infers they can add addition channels to it in the future.
    Well they still can add channels in the future. It's the process of getting them added which we're not told about. VAST viewers will pretty much never get new services as quick as the rest of the country.

Not covering the Eastern States is odd because there must be a far larger number of VAST Viewers in that area compared to the West.
    True, but as I've worked out today, the WA commercial networks seem to run on a different set of rules than the Eastern-states networks. Maybe because they've got bigger owners they have more pull with negotiating their government-mandated requirements in getting new services launched?

Also, it makes you wonder why the SEVEN network arnt pushing it because of the possible loss of revenue from the coverage.
    Seven probably don't want anything to do with it. SC can quite literally do whatever they want outside of their affiliation agreement and I'd imagine Racing.com is not part of the current one.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

It may be interesting to see if the New Channel 7 live streaming add any more streaming channels in the future ?

currently 7, 7two, & 7mate ....... we will have to wait & see if there are any plans to add more channels in the future ?

But this is of no use to a majority of Vast users who have poor or no internet because of their remote locations ATM.
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 11-11-15 at 12:43 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Administrator
    Thanks

Seven announced they would have their 3 channels 7, 7two, & 7mate available on streaming by 1 December 2015... and they are already running.

There was no mention of additional channels being made available, so it looks like Racing.com won't be available on the streaming platform either.

The only addition to VAST I have been informed of will be the new SBS food channel, planned to be added at some stage... no date as yet.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

beerman (02-12-15),OSIRUS (11-11-15),Smacca (11-11-15)

Thanks

Racing.com is easy to watch online, its not even geo blocked to NZ

however, I've had no luck getting the raw stream link for pushing playback on other devices

• The Following User Says Thank You to apsattv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (11-11-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

It's also streamed alongside 7's channels on

• The Following User Says Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (11-11-15)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast