Thread: Dolby Atmos & DTS X

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Default Dolby Atmos & DTS X

After Buying Mad Max in Blu ray 2 weeks ago and viewing it and seeing its in Dolby Atmos and after reading good reports on the AVS forum about Atmos I decided to spend some of my kids inheritance on a new System.
    I purchased a New Yamaha RX 2050 9.2 Channel receiver and four B W (Bowers and Wilkins) 8 inch ceiling speakers with My existing Dali Icon and Concept speakers. I required 75M of 10 gauge speaker cable to do this job (existing 7 speakers wired). Well its the end of day 2 and I'm about 75% finished.
    I have accesses just about all the Atmos Blu rays from the US region A either cheaper or just over $30 Australian Dollars.
    The next will be San Andreas, Terminator Genisys, and Pixels when its released. All three are in Dolby Atmos and will be on region A blu ray's but will they be the same in region B.?

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Where do you steal your money from???? I'm envious as all ******! Report on it when finished would be nice.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Waiting for the two front Subs to arrive then It will be set up and auto calibration time. Doing plenty of reading on the AVS forum regarding what speaker combo you can have and surprising 5.2.4 is recommended over 7.2.2 or even 7.2.4. The part I like is that now I think for the first time the Sub woofers are totally separate as you can set them up in the menu as Left and Right or front and rear or various so in simple now you can have the bass starting from the front of the TV room under the screen and finishing off behind you sitting on the lounge or the other way around. I'm very disappointed that the rumour around saying that region B disc will be limited with Atmos. Once again we get screwed but thank God for the region free Oppo and the ability of getting the US region A ones. But could you imagine the Future paying GST on them The GST at 15%, the Dollar even lower. I have purchased many second hand blu rays (Over 50 anything from $5 to $10 US dollars) all but one worked ok and surprisingly all looked very good. I'm sick of what region B is doing to us. I must have 20 Movies I have purchased from the US in Region A or no region and they are all either Dolby True HD 7.1 or DTS Master Audio 7.1 or DTS High resolution 7.1 yet the same ones in region B in Australia are ALL 5.1 audio.
    (PS I have no money the wife is the one with the bank balance and she likes keeping me happy)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

what crossover frequency do they suggest for the subs ?, as anything below about 80z is pretty much impossible to directionally distinguish, apparently....

i have only tried with music signals, which only have mono bass .

I will be interested to hear(pun intended) if you can actually disinguish between the sub bass left and right tracks.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

weirdo (18-09-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    what crossover frequency do they suggest for the subs ?, as anything below about 80z is pretty much impossible to directionally distinguish, apparently....

I will be interested to hear(pun intended) if you can actually disinguish between the sub bass left and right tracks.
    Well in my case they will be set as front,rear and If I remember correctly the Crossover default is 120 and adjustable under that. I'm not in a hurry to get it going as I still have two ceiling speakers to fit this arvo after I go shopping with the wife + i'm new with this stuff and doing more reading on the AVS forum on what the yank experts are saying.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

yeah, like hoe
    your subs handle the lows which you can't differentiate where they come from unlike the higher notes
    waste of time I reckon
    but we all know how some of these audio 'experts' can hear the difference

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    yeah, like hoe
    your subs handle the lows which you can't differentiate where they come from unlike the higher notes
    waste of time I reckon
    but we all know how some of these audio 'experts' can hear the difference
    Could be true. Anyhow I don't care that much for directional Subs I just want plenty of LFE to rattle the walls. The ceilng effect is what I'm after and this alone will be interesting.
    The final 2 ceiling speakers installed today. Having a rest for the next two days

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post

The Answer set at 80hz NO! I can switch the front sub off and barely can hear the difference. I switch that sub back on and switch the other off on the other side of the room and I can barely tell the difference there. I need to do some reading on what to set my Crossover for each of the speakers except for the front Left and right for the moment. Plenty of crossover to play with from I think 40,60,80,100,120Hz for the two surrounds, the 4 ceiling speakers, and the rear surrounds.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

You may not hear the difference but, can you feel it?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    You may not hear the difference but, can you feel it?
    That they do

Thanks

Tested Transformers Days of Extinction today and its excellent using the 5.2.4 speaker set up. Bass is out of this world. ceiling speakers do there bit. Later on when I get my Atmos Demo Disc 2015 with a few 2 minute odd Atmos trailers I will be able to test different Speaker combos as my Amp allows you to save 2 Patterns and they can be changed in 10 seconds.
    I watched Expendables 3 in Atmos today using 5.2.4 and that had some good parts where the 4 ceiling speakers raged and both the subs did there bit.
    There are many setting to set in these Yamaha Amps and I' getting to understand them one by one. Tomorrow its Harmony Remote teaching time for the new Amp.

Thanks

Well I have my new Yamaha RX-A3050 up and running and it has fixed what the 2050 couldn't do.

I rang up every Hi Fi shop on the East Coast Of Aust and found Clef Hi Fi in Melbourne to be the Cheapest For these Amps by a country Mile. No other Hi Fi shop comes near them. I don't know about other Amps but a few of us on another site have Purchased all Yammy products from them and have been very happy.
    By the way ANY Hi Fi shop in QLD the state I live in were nothing but SHARKS!!

Thanks

Care to give us an update on this, mate? Are you still happy with it?
    I've just installed an Onkyo TX-NR545 which has 5.1.2 Atmos. Haven't set up the speakers yet.
    Just had a look at my Aussie copies of Fury Road and Pixels and they don't appear to have an Atmos soundtrack. Looks like I'll be importing a few BD's.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slickstu View Post
    Care to give us an update on this, mate? Are you still happy with it?
    I've just installed an Onkyo TX-NR545 which has 5.1.2 Atmos. Haven't set up the speakers yet.
    Just had a look at my Aussie copies of Fury Road and Pixels and they don't appear to have an Atmos soundtrack. Looks like I'll be importing a few BD's.
    Sorry for the Very late reply I have been taking a break due to health reasons.
    Yes the wife was very impressed with our system and Since we have changed the 2050 to 3050 we now have a perfect system + it was time to get the Lounge Shakers Running (wife purchased them for the Room) and they are worth every cent they cost her.

For the last 8 months the Wife buys all our blu rays from Amazons US but what we have been doing is only buying 4K movies that happen to give us the 2K ones with it. By doing this in the last 6 to 8 months we are collecting a good range of 4 K titles and whenever they make a decent large LED LCD for a fair price the Wife will buy it. At the Moment our Hecto is Great (100 Inch ) so you can see you cannot go back to a 65 Inch 4K LG OLED (too small) as that is not on, Plus the Trigger point for us will be whenever OPPO Bring out there 4 K player.
    Will have to wait to next year or later until someone brings out a Good LED LCD over 85 Inches for a fair price otherwise we will stick with the Hecto for a while.
    Our Latest set up!!
    As for our 7.4.4 system with 4+2 Shakers it sound tremendous. So we have 7 Main Speakers (Dali Ikon and Concept Speakers), 4 ceiling ( B&W) , 4 X 200W KEF Sub Woofers, 4 Lounge shakers (ast-2b-4) and 2 Ceiling (8 Ohm in series ) 2 X Light fitting shakers all controlled to a Dayton SA 230 Shaker Amp ( San Andreas Sound Great in Atmos. The 4 Sub woofers are flipping there lids and rattling the walls, The two Shakers for the two Light Fitting are rattling the glass on the light fittings and that make you look up when the lounge wants to take off, the Lounge Shakers are shaking the Super re-enforced lounge, the walls are rattling . The Weight of this Amp nearly sent the Wife broke in Shipping cost.

The only trick is running DTS X movies the Over Head speakers have to be set up as Heights otherwise they will bleed into the Fronts. As for other manufactures with this issue as far as I know there has been no FIRMWARE FIX YET!! but at least you can set the Yammy 3050 to correct this by cheating.
    As for running two overheads Vrs 4 there is no comparison as if you buy the Latest Atmos Demo disc and run it on a 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 you will be disappointed on the 9 channel system as the 11 Channel is superior. Use the Demo disc on the demo "Helicopter" "747" and be blown away. The two speakers in the ceiling are a short fall compared to what the 4 will do for this demo and others.

For the Light fittings Shakers

For the Lounge the shakers are

The Power Amp to drive the Shakers.
    !

Lets have Fun and I don't give a Flying truck if I kark it next week.