Thread: Any users of Powershop in NSW

Thanks

Default Any users of Powershop in NSW

Has anyone in NSW changed to Powershop? If yes comments please.
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

As much as I dont like telling people to go elsewhere, you will have better luck asking on Whirlpool.

If you have a dumb meter (as seperate to our smart meters in Vic), it makes comparisons difficult. Having said that, there are a couple of cluey guys on Whirlpool who have created spreadsheets that might help you make your mind up. I would ask in the thread if someone can assist with a NSW comparison. The thread is here :

I am not sure how prices are applied in NSW.

In Victoria, our usage is uptodate constantly due to smart meters. My wholesaler, United Energy, charges in TOU (Time Of Use) so that is how Powershop charges me, Peak/Off Peak/Shoulder.
    Powershop charge a "blended rate" unit. A unit is similar to a kw/h, except it aslo includes your daily supply charge.

You can see from the image below how my current power price is made up. With a Smart Meter, its easy for Powershop to see exactly how much of your use falls in to each TOU tariff.

In a nutshell, the less power you use, the HIGHER your unit price will be. Sound strange ? It does to a degree, but thats because your unit price includes the daily supply charge
    Regardless of how much power you use, you still have to pay the daily supply charge and the smaller amount of units it is spread over, the higher the unit price.

Example : Say your daily supply is $1.00 per day. If you only used 4 units per day, your unit price would have to have 25 cents of just supply charge alone in it. If you used 8 a day, it would have 12.5 cents of supply charge per unit.
    Many low usage users are put of by this, but fail to realise its exactly the same as what any other company is charging you, just charged in a different way.

My current price of 22.48 is an excellent price and if I had any brains I would be buying up what I can use before expiry.

(PS, give me a yell if you do decide to move to them as a referrer we can both get a $75 credit, same applies to anyone else moving to Powershop. There are no contracts.)

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (21-09-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Actually, this might be of help to you

Credit goes to Whirlpool user dadpad who is one of the chief number crunchers over there.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (21-09-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    the less power you use, the HIGHER your unit price will be. Sound strange ? It does to a degree, but thats because your unit price includes the daily supply charge
    Regardless of how much power you use, you still have to pay the daily supply charge and the smaller amount of units it is spread over, the higher the unit price

(PS, give me a yell if you do decide to move to them as a referrer we can both get a $75 credit, same applies to anyone else moving to Powershop. There are no contracts.)
    We use about 7KWh per day so, as you point out, my real i.e. overall cost per KWh is quite large given the 'infrastructure" charge is over $1.30 per day.

Hence my latent desire to go completely off-grid. A source of cheap but good LiFePO4 cells would be the clincher!

Thanks for the offer re Powershop.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Currently on a NO Plan, NO Gifts or other crap, I pay 70 cents a day for the privilege of being supplied electricity.
    Then its use is charged at one rate for up to 1000 units and if I go over that, its dearer.
    Somewhere hidden in all the indecipherable fine print is the details of what a Unit is in relation to KWH which I dont care about so long as I keep the consumption down as low as possible.
    Due to some fiddle in prices, as of July 1st which was near mid Bill, the rate per unit dropped some piddling amount but they increased this daily charge buy a cent or so.

So far unless you have installed Solar Panels or built a new house, I havent heard of any plans to do a wholesale installation of SMART meters yet.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (22-09-15)

Thanks

A "Unit" is 1KWh.

What are your rates per Unit?

Who is your retailer - if you do not want to go public a PM would be fine.

BTW mine is Origin.

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

I'm with Energy Australia (Dumb Meter) these are my tariff rates:

First 10.9589 kWh of Peak usage per day - 21.98 c/kWh - With GST added 24.178 c/kWh
    Next 10.9589 kWh of Peak usage per day - 21.68 c/kWh - With GST added 23.848 c/kWh
    Balance of Peak daily usage above 21.9178 kWh - 21.4 c/kWh - With GST added 23.54 c/kWh
    Electricity Supply Charge per day $0.66 - With GST added $0.726

I also get a 15% discount.

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (22-09-15)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Firstly, I am with Origin who is my 2nd, 3rd or 4th supplier of Electricity since I moved here in 1963.
    I started with a group run by the local area Councils (Hartley County Councils) until this group was forcibly dissolved by the State Government of the day and I have NEVER sought to change but instead been changed to another as the previous supplier was absorbed into another.
    I cant find the last bill but the previous one shows I was incorrect with rate changing point.
    My Bill for then 92 Days reads, Peak rate (only one shown) is 0~1764 at a rate of 21.94 cents with a usage of 1144 kWh.
    Added to this was a 'Supply Charge' of $63.32 (divide that by 92 Days to get the daily rate)
    Deduct from the total a NSW Gvt Household rebate which I think is also a % rate, not fixed.

As I said earlier, from July 1st, the Unit rate dropped by under 2 cents a Unit but the 'Supply Charge' increased but I cant remember how much.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (22-09-15)

Thanks

Wow. I have looked at Origin's plans and cannot find anything that comes close to those figures!!!!!!!!

"Deduct from the total a NSW Gvt Household rebate which I think is also a % rate, not fixed"

Please explain.
    Last edited by Guiseppe; 25-09-15 at 09:21 AM.

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guiseppe View Post
    "Deduct from the total a NSW Gvt Household rebate which I think is also a % rate, not fixed"

Please explain.
    The NSW Govt Rebate is given to pensioners and other eligible customers, it's currently about $0.64 cents per day.
    My last bill had a rebate of $58.59 so it almost covers my connection charge.

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (25-09-15)