Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selling security access control equipment WITHOUT a licence?

Thanks

SLED does nothing at all, every-time i contacted them, no outcome!
    I'm seriously doubting about the SLED since couple months, i believe they have no power to do anything concrete!

Thanks

Glad to hear that. Thank you downunderdan

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    what for?
    thanks for keeping us posted Helene, even though you needed some encouragement
    so will you pursue it any further?
    There is nothing much I can do. However, I did my research... That guy has/had 3 different ABNs, he used to be in the mobile phone "business" and it seems like he scammed quite a lot of people (bad reviews everywhere). I am not sure I can post any details here. But anyway I reported him to the ATO.
    From my point of view, it looks like you do some dodgy stuffs, you close your ABN, register a new one and you are good to go!

Also, I visited his registered address (previous one) as it is in the city near Townhall. The place is now occupied by a health practitioner. Nice guy. He was telling me that quite a lot of angry people knocked at his door looking to get their money back... The building manager (that seems to be the rental agency for this building) was totally not willing to help but definitely knew that previous tenant.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Helene For This Useful Post:

weirdo (05-11-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amiryhery View Post
    SLED does nothing at all, every-time i contacted them, no outcome!
    I'm seriously doubting about the SLED since couple months, i believe they have no power to do anything concrete!
    Exactly how many times are you contacting them? About what?

I have to say in general terms you are wrong. Refer to my earlier comment. However they also receive quite a number of vexatious complaints from industry which are completely outside SLED's regulatory power. For example, any number of companies who are reported for underpaying staff even though this has *nothing* to do with SLED.

That said, SLED will often pass on such information to other agencies e.g. FWO. Where there's smoke, there's often fire. However the reporting parties then get upset that SLED is "doing nothing". It's a bit like reporting a pothole to the Ministry of Transport and then getting upset that it wasn't fixed.

Personally, I wince when I hear some of the biggest spivs in this industry standing around cocktail parties shaking their heads and saying we need to "clean it up".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by downunderdan View Post
    Exactly how many times are you contacting them? About what?

I have to say in general terms you are wrong. Refer to my earlier comment. However they also receive quite a number of vexatious complaints from industry which are completely outside SLED's regulatory power. For example, any number of companies who are reported for underpaying staff even though this has *nothing* to do with SLED.

That said, SLED will often pass on such information to other agencies e.g. FWO. Where there's smoke, there's often fire. However the reporting parties then get upset that SLED is "doing nothing". It's a bit like reporting a pothole to the Ministry of Transport and then getting upset that it wasn't fixed.

Personally, I wince when I hear some of the biggest spivs in this industry standing around cocktail parties shaking their heads and saying we need to "clean it up".
    Indeed Staff Paid will be an ATO matter,
    I often reported them individuals without security licence advertising for security jobs such as, security access control system installation, CCTV and still see the same people advertising and doing again and again the same without licence...
    discussing.

I believe too many things are wrong in the industry and i am not sure that there is anyone trying to protect our business, when i see in bunnings CCTV ready to go, electronic handles i believe it's limit competing with our business and i am pretty sure that we will see very soon a bunch of Standalone access control systems DIY at bunnings!
    This will be a very sad day for all of us.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by downunderdan View Post
    For example, any number of companies who are reported for underpaying staff even though this has *nothing* to do with SLED.

".
    I beg to differ. I am sure there is a section in the legislation about complying with "other relevent legislation /acts". So non compliance with taxation and labour laws would give SLED ample opportunity to act. There are also the "good character" & "fitness for licence" benchmarks that SLED could utilise IF THEY SAW FIT.
    No I'm afraid that SLED operate on the old premise - collect the money & keep your head down unless you can find an easy target that you are guarenteed to be able to beat up for publicity purposes.

Thanks

Under payment should be reported to ATO(Superannuation Guarantee), FWO(Under Payment of wages) and SLED as a heads up for this company is in no compliance with underpaying staff. The tricky part is our system is skewed to take to long for investigation and prosecution to take place effectively.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by romaqld View Post
    The tricky part is our system is skewed to take to long for investigation and prosecution to take place effectively.
    Be careful what you wish for.

The possible alternative is a denial of natural justice. I'm all for skewering shonks but I have also seen a few good men ruined due to a bureaucratic bungle. By the time the matter resolved itself, they had nothing left. It's a fine line.

• The Following User Says Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

romaqld (10-11-15)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12