Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Volkswagon...in serious trouble

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Volkswagon...in serious trouble

Wow ! is all I can say.

They have cheated on emissions and been caught. The CEO has fallen on his sword, the effects will be massive.

How they got caught

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

evman (26-09-15),shred (24-09-15),Tiny (24-09-15),tristen (24-09-15),Uncle Fester (25-09-15)

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Wow!!! that is so huge in the scale of things automotive to be caught cheating at this level.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Ive been following it over the last few days.

It may spell the end of VW, also remember that Audi and one other car maker (cant remember the name) come under the same group.

What surprised me is how they got the software to know it was being tested as most tests are performed stationary on a dyno, with the key point from my understanding being the outside air pressure, steering wheel being straight ahead and vehicle speed being their key points in the finding.

When i first heard of it my first thoughts were how they did it, was it triggered by the abs wheel sensors picking up that the driving wheels were turning while the undriven wheels were not, thus triggering the software to work? Looks like they added more such as the steering wheel position, im puzzeled why they also needed a time period and air pressure as logically they could vary due to tests and altitude when tested.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

VW have had a chequered history in recent times, this is only adding to the black squares
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

All I can say is SHEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!! Good thing I don't own any shares in VW.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Where is Top Gear when you need them
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (25-09-15)

Thanks

I'll be interested to see what the solution is. Clearly the authorities want a "fix" to reduce the emissions. Usually engineering involves balancing many variables... so logically, reduced emissions via a firmware fix is likely to result in worse performance / fuel economy / driveability etc. Wait for many very unhappy VW car owners when they find that their car has been dumbed down to meet the emissions standards!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    It may spell the end of VW, also remember that Audi and one other car maker (cant remember the name) come under the same group.
    Skoda

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (25-09-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

The stunning results were found after simply driving the cars on five routes and finding a huge discrepancy between their testing results and real-life performance.
    Maybe they can also try this test on every vehicle, from every manufacturer in relation to quoted fuel economy figures.
    Its been the biggest lie in the industry for years now.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT, Škoda

But effected vehicles are:

2010–2014 Audi A1 TDI
    2009–2015 Audi A3 2.0L TDI
    2009–2015 VW Beetle 2.0L TDI
    2009–2015 VW Golf 2.0L TDI
    2009–2015 VW Jetta 2.0L TDI
    2012–2015 VW Passat 2.0L TDI.

Volkswagen has also stated that 11 million vehicles sold worldwide are affected in addition to the 480,000 vehicles with 2.0L TDI engines sold in the US. According to Volkswagen, vehicles sold in other countries with the 1.6L and 2.0L 4-cylinder TDI engine known as Type EA189 are also affected. The EA189 TDI is a 1.6L or 2.0L four-cylinder engine which includes selective catalytic reduction (SCR) technology. This software is also said to affect EA188 and the 2015 EA288 generation of the four-cylinder

Note: BMW X3 2.0d also failed emissions testing.
    Also amazing how Suzuki bought back its shares off VW just days before the EPA handed out its fine.
    All 3.8 billion worth.

Looks like it may get worse:
    The California Air Resources Board will broaden its testing of Volkswagen AG (VOWG_p.DE) cars with diesel engines to include those with 3.0-liter V6 engines sold by two subsidiaries, a spokesman for the state regulator said on Tuesday.

The latest models to be examined are the Porsche Cayenne and the Audi A6, Stanley Young, communications director for the Air Resources Board, told Reuters.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 25-09-15 at 05:24 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

admin (26-09-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Volkswagens are rubbish anyway. always have been , always will be.
    besides this emissions stuff their engines , gearboxes and wiring fall apart after a couple of years.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    Volkswagens are rubbish anyway. always have been , always will be.
    besides this emissions stuff their engines , gearboxes and wiring fall apart after a couple of years.
    yes, I'm sure they became one of the leading car manufacturers despite all that
    where do you get this crap from?
    I know several VW owners (of different models) and all are extremely happy with them (my son included)
    the yanks shouldn't be all too worried, after all they are the masters of deceit

• The Following User Says Thank You to weirdo For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (26-09-15)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

After seeing the dodgy devise used on a Toyota motor I bought from the wreckers that used an 'air pump' to force clean air into the exhaust manifold so that when it was tested it read a low emissions, made me doubt many of the claims made by manufactures after that.
    Is VW on its own in this scam of low emissions and fuel usage or do the others use their own versions that are just as shonky??

Maybe I am too suspicious as I get older to think ANY company wont bend the rules for their own benefits but I dont think so.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 25-09-15 at 11:51 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks

Good time to buy a VW diesel... Make an offer

• The Following User Says Thank You to gamve For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (25-09-15)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

If it is true that the VW's engineers were so desperate that they had to design software to make the emissions look good for standing tests (Germans have emission testing done regularly for their REGO) to cover up bad results under the required emission rules then there is no fix other than a new engine or accept bad performance and/or premature engine failure.
    If the whole world goes ahead with these immense fines, lawsuits and very costly recalls that could not only be the end of the Volkswagen group but could be the last straw holding up the European Economy -> Germany's car industry. That + possible corruption issues with the Deutsche Bank (another huge German power player) could break Europe, the Euro and initiate the largest GFC the world has ever seen, although China and Russia might stay partly out of it.

So the US should tread very carefully about what they want to do about this as they might end up chopping off their own feet.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 25-09-15 at 12:21 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

In a way, the collapse of VW would not be unlike the failure of some US Banks during the GFC of a few years ago where they had to be 'Bailed Out' because if they 'went under', so did the economy.
    VW employs thousands and spends millions on buying or making parts for their products and in a World with several Countries still teetering on the edge of economical uncertainty, for the Company to collapse would have quite a disastrous effect.
    While massive fines may be levied, I doubt many will be paid because where do they get the money to do so and still keep in Business but other individual claims most likely will have to be met but they too could be 'capped' to minimise too much drain on the Company's resources.
    The US is a past master in doing this when a Company goes under by seeking protection from Bankruptcy.

If I have read this correctly, its not that the vehicles are defective but just got dodgy software to make them seem 'Cleaner' and 'Go Further' on less fuel.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 25-09-15 at 12:52 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

VW has contracted most of its heavy manufacturing operations to China , has done for some years now. the German operations are mainly assembly plants for CKD kits.

Japanese diesels have no issue passing any tests , they use proper design and quality materials not deceit.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    I know several VW owners (of different models) and all are extremely happy with them (my son included)
    the yanks shouldn't be all too worried, after all they are the masters of deceit
    Without having played much with them personally, only speaking to people who own them or professional workshops who work all day on them, my sister bought a brand new polo as a run around to take the kids to school last year, 3 weeks into owning it there was smoke coming from under the hood at a set of lights, she called a fire brigade who made a fine mess putting the engine bay fire out, ended up being a electrical short which she has since found out is a common issue in them.

Last week i had a mechanic who specializes in prestige euro cars in the city come over for parts that i spent some time learning from, in his own words, German cars are just European Commodores and Falcons that are very touchy and need specialized tools to work on, only genuine parts seem to fit and work right without issues, they are a pain to work on and he wouldn't own one if you gave it to him, but he loves the bills they drum up for customers.

The week before i was over at a mates workshop for a chat and they had a late model BMW in, i looked at how the radiator hoses were fitted on (they were fixing a leaking water pump and had to remove the radiator and hoses on a vehicle with only 60,000Km on it) and told IF they can undo a connection without breaking a fitting (and therefore the whole radiator) then they have to worry if the fitting will seal again due to heat fusing the connections, again a very common issue they tell me.

And here i was thinking to get the Mrs a late model BMW......

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    One of the lucky ones
    Don't forget the gear box fiasco and the cars stopping for no reason. A girl died on the Eastern freeway here in Melbourne when her car stopped on the out side lane for no known reason and was run into by a semi trailer, it was only then that VW acted (they were fully aware of the problem over seas and had recalls issued in the States and Europe) after many complaints in the press and tv. Also VW are not listed in the 10 best car surveys by owners, although Skoda is???
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast